[1.4.1] Take Command Continued- Launch Kerbals in External Command Seats

linuxgurugamer

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release: 1.4.7:

- Added Akita rover seat from USI Konstruction/MKS, thanks Aelfhe1m
- Added code to override UpdateControlSourceState, to report correct state for external seats

Your are great!

Thanks @linuxgurugamer, gonna try it right away!

Cheers commander!

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Could you first remove it, make sure that the directory has been removed and then try reinstalling it?

If that doesn't work, use this for now:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bm9608zi1toi4tl/TakeCommand-1.4.8.zip?dl=0

This is a test build, but has been verified to work in most cases

i got the same error today with ckan too: absolute error.

deleting manually the mod, launch CKAN: uninstall take command (check the gamedata to remove it if not clear, but it was), then reinstalled it.

6 hours ago, garwel said:

I get an error trying to update Take Command with CKAN: it says "<path to GameData>\TakeCommand\ModuleManager is already absolute". Apparently, something's wrong with the assembly.

That happened with me once. I fixed it by moving the CKAN executable to the KSP root folder.

@linuxgurugamer The root problem is that you've included some lock files with the .cfg files you're distributing. In this mod, specifically, takeCommand.cfg~ and SXTContinuded.cfg~ should be deleted. For any end users, deleting these files will be required before updating.

These lock files let other programs know that the file in question is being modified right now by another program, and that it may not be safe to change it. When software that respects lock files, such as CKAN, sees the lock files while trying to perform an operation it throws an error. Many text editors will automatically create lock files of files you open in them. They're supposed to get cleaned up when you're done working with the file, but sometimes they stick around due to buggy software or crashes.

I'd recommend using Notepad++ to edit .cfg files, in part because of this issue, but it's all up to you. Just try to make sure to delete the lock files before distributing. They'll be the ones with a "~" at the end of their file extension.

New release: 1.4.8

• Now finds the best kerbal in the seats
  •  
1 hour ago, hawkwing said:

@linuxgurugamer The root problem is that you've included some lock files with the .cfg files you're distributing. In this mod, specifically, takeCommand.cfg~ and SXTContinuded.cfg~ should be deleted. For any end users, deleting these files will be required before updating.

These lock files let other programs know that the file in question is being modified right now by another program, and that it may not be safe to change it. When software that respects lock files, such as CKAN, sees the lock files while trying to perform an operation it throws an error. Many text editors will automatically create lock files of files you open in them. They're supposed to get cleaned up when you're done working with the file, but sometimes they stick around due to buggy software or crashes.

I'd recommend using Notepad++ to edit .cfg files, in part because of this issue, but it's all up to you. Just try to make sure to delete the lock files before distributing. They'll be the ones with a "~" at the end of their file extension.

Good to know, I'll take care of that.

But, it's not nice to recommend an editor to a professional programmer. :-) There are reasons I use ViM, it works exactly the same on Windows, Unix, Linux, etc. 

And the release I just uploaded has those files removed

In the case of ViM, those are backup files, not lock files. So when you save a file, it saves the originial with the tilde at the end.  ViM uses files beginning with a dot (ie:  .lockfile) for it's lock files

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 25/12/2016 at 0:08 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I can't see the issue with the IVA you mention above.

(I forgot to send this answer earlier, sorry)

I forgot to mention that was in my 1.2.1 recompiled version. When I tested your version in 1.2.2 the strange IVA was not there anymore, it might have been a problem from one of the IVA mods I had installed (mostly from 1.0.3).

Your latest version now blocks crew transfer, now the most critical problem is solved. I'm curious about how you did it, will take a look on the code another time to learn :wink:.

Useful info: You might want to add this official request to the main post for tracking purposes.

20 minutes ago, GFX5000i said:

(I forgot to send this answer earlier, sorry)

I forgot to mention that was in my 1.2.1 recompiled version. When I tested your version in 1.2.2 the strange IVA was not there anymore, it might have been a problem from one of the IVA mods I had installed (mostly from 1.0.3).

Your latest version now blocks crew transfer, now the most critical problem is solved. I'm curious about how you did it, will take a look on the code another time to learn :wink:.

Useful info: You might want to add this official request to the main post for tracking purposes.

Ummm, I'm not sure what you are asking.  Crew Transfer is blocked on purpose.  It's not an internal space, it's external, therefore no crew transfer.  This was a recent change.

37 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Crew Transfer is blocked on purpose.

I wonder if this behaviour could be done switchable by a edit of a config file, maybe? But Take Command has no config file, yet, right?
Do you know the rescue contracts where you reach the target and it is a mod-capsule without a hatch? One maybe then could KIS mount a external command seat, transfer the kerbal from inside to the command seat and then release him. But for that the old behaviour would be needed. If making it configurable via a config file line would be a 1 minute task...
However, I think it's maybe not the greatest idea ever, anyway. Maybe just forget it. :D 

Edited by Jebs_SY

1 minute ago, Jebs_SY said:

I wonder if this behaviour could be done switchable by a edit of a config file, maybe? But Take Command has no config file, yet, right?
Do you know the rescue contracts where you reach the target and it is a mod-capsule without a hatch? One maybe then could KIS mount a external command seat, transfer the kerbal from inside to the command seat and then release him. But for that the old behaviour would be needed. If making it configurable via a config file line would be a 1 minute task...
However, I think it's maybe not the greatest idea ever, anyway. Maybe just forget it. :D 

There is another mod I'm going to add as a recommended mod which would prevent that from happening:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPRescuePodFix

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, I'm not sure what you are asking.  Crew Transfer is blocked on purpose.  It's not an internal space, it's external, therefore no crew transfer.  This was a recent change.

I was not asking anything, just pointing that the IVA problem disappeared in your version and your crew transfer block solved a big problem.

On 1/16/2017 at 6:15 PM, hawkwing said:

Ok.  First, the trailing tilde:

These lock files let other programs know that the file in question is being modified right now by another program, and that it
 may not be safe to change it. When software that respects lock files, such as CKAN, sees the lock files while trying to perfo
rm an operation it throws an error. Many text editors will automatically create lock files of files you open in them. They're
supposed to get cleaned up when you're done working with the file, but sometimes they stick around due to buggy software or cr
ashes.`

They aren't lock files.

The CKAN developers have been looking into this, and no one has been able to replicate the problem, even when they used the sa
me file that had the trailing tildes in them.

It appears to be a system-specific issue.

So, @GFX5000i, @hawkwing, @Skalou, and anyone else who gets these errors, please report them to the CKAN thread.  Among other things, we will need to know the OS you are on, where the game is installed, etc.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok.  First, the trailing tilde:

They aren't lock files.

The CKAN developers have been looking into this, and no one has been able to replicate the problem, even when they used the sa
me file that had the trailing tildes in them.

Is or has someone used Emacs to edit the files?  Because by default, when Emacs saves a file, it takes the uneditted original and renames it to "<filename>~" by adding a tilde to the end of its filename, then writes the changed file to "<filename>".

Edited by Jacke

32 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Is or has someone used Emacs to edit the files?  Because by default, when Emacs saves a file, it takes the uneditted original and renames it to "<filename>~" by adding a tilde to the end of its filename, then writes the changed file to "<filename>".

It's not Emacs specific.  It's fairly common on Unix and Linux systems.  I use ViM, which creates those files.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've just come across something strange which I think is related to this. Sometimes the Kerbal appears, but isn't in the seat, that's not a great problem except in those times the kerbal takes on the entire vessels weight... What information do you need from me related to this?

8 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

Hi, I've just come across something strange which I think is related to this. Sometimes the Kerbal appears, but isn't in the seat, that's not a great problem except in those times the kerbal takes on the entire vessels weight... What information do you need from me related to this?

Double-check your build. The Kerbal needs a bit of room to get into the command seat. If you have items too close to the command seat it will cause the Kerbal to bump out.

1 minute ago, GDJ said:

Double-check your build. The Kerbal needs a bit of room to get into the command seat. If you have items too close to the command seat it will cause the Kerbal to bump out.

No doubt, but the real problem is that the Kerbal ends up weighing several tons ;).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.