[1.4.1] Take Command Continued- Launch Kerbals in External Command Seats

linuxgurugamer

New release, 1.4.10.1

• Updated MM dll
25 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

@linuxgurugamer 

Your latest version has ModuleManager.2.8.0.dll bundled with it, I thought maybe this was a mistake?

Actually a few of your latest releases have 2.8.0.... Is this a mistake, or intentional?

I just went through all the mods I've updated for 1.3.1, it was only this and All'Y'ALL which had the wrong dll.

Thanks

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

??????

we posted at the exact same time. I opened Spacedock and saw it mere seconds after it was finished uploading.

I came here and posted that I saw it was updated on SD, at the exact same time you posted:

On 10/9/2017 at 10:24 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Funny you picked THAT one.

I just finished updating it

I thought it was pretty funny...

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if its a bug with this mod or something weird the stock game is doing, but from the log it appears its this mod. When trying to fill an external seat, which is covered by a fairing, the game crashes. The log ends with the lines

[LOG 11:07:26.908] [TakeCommand] populating seat list
[LOG 11:07:26.908] [TakeCommand] found 1 occupied seats
[LOG 11:07:26.909] [TakeCommand] ejecting Rooly Kerman from -246810
[LOG 11:07:26.910] [TakeCommand] error ejecting Rooly Kerman

Edit: Only happens with closed fairings, interstage fairings dont crash the game.

Edited by rudi1291

2 hours ago, rudi1291 said:

Not sure if its a bug with this mod or something weird the stock game is doing, but from the log it appears its this mod. When trying to fill an external seat, which is covered by a fairing, the game crashes. The log ends with the lines

[LOG 11:07:26.908] [TakeCommand] populating seat list
[LOG 11:07:26.908] [TakeCommand] found 1 occupied seats
[LOG 11:07:26.909] [TakeCommand] ejecting Rooly Kerman from -246810
[LOG 11:07:26.910] [TakeCommand] error ejecting Rooly Kerman

Edit: Only happens with closed fairings, interstage fairings dont crash the game.

So little information.....

A host of questions can be answered by the log file (hint)

• 5 weeks later...

I found the same issue today. Looks to me like the it's a problem with the fact that Kerbals can't EVA inside fairings. The mod tries to EVA the Kerbal to seat it in the seat, but the game won't let it, cause the seat is inside a fairing, and then it loops infinitely, ending in the game locking up. Not an expert on what is doable with mods, so no idea if that's fixable on the mods end.

16 hours ago, WWEdeadman said:

I found the same issue today. Looks to me like the it's a problem with the fact that Kerbals can't EVA inside fairings. The mod tries to EVA the Kerbal to seat it in the seat, but the game won't let it, cause the seat is inside a fairing, and then it loops infinitely, ending in the game locking up. Not an expert on what is doable with mods, so no idea if that's fixable on the mods end.

It certainly is.

Other than printing the error, the mod doesn't stop, so it's an endless loop.

I'll see what I can do, but obviously, don't try to put a kerbal into a command set when it's in a fairing.

I can fix it, but the kerbals go missing if I do

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New release, 1.4.11:

• Added check for external seat being inside fairing

It doesn't do it, but it doesn't go into an endless loop now, it displays an error telling you to revert

This is a limitation of the game, nothing I can do about it.  The part is considered to be inside a fairing, and EVAs aren't allowed there

Edited by linuxgurugamer

5 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Can it tell the difference between a closed and an 'open' (interstage) fairing? Kerbals are safe inside the latter.

Apparently not, from my testing.

This seems to be built into the game and there's nothing I can do about it.

I'm going to take a wild guess, and assume that anything inside the fairing would collide with the fairing. If that's the case, then that would be why they don't allow it. Essentially, you'll be creating an object inside another object.

42 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This seems to be built into the game and there's nothing I can do about it.

It is, I think it was mentioned in either the 1.3.0 or 1.3.1 dev notes; that's why I wondered.

That's ok, you did the right thing in adding the endless loop prevention - game freeze trumps convenience.

3 hours ago, grungar3x7 said:

Perhaps, if you could find a way to force the fairing to be applied after the loading of the kerbal to the seat? Might not be possible, but that would be my two cents.

Nope.  Its the way the game is written.  Even if you dont put a fairing up, it gets blocked.

And it's not worth my time, sorry.  The mod has been around for how many years, and only now did this bug become evident?

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Nope.  Its the way the game is written.  Even if you dont put a fairing up, it gets blocked.

And it's not worth my time, sorry.  The mod has been around for how many years, and only now did this bug become evident?

That's fine, and thank you for your response and modding efforts in general.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

only now did this bug become evident?

I don't claim to understand why they made that change to the game, especially since it used to work fine before - I built and used a heap of craft with closed fairings over the years. But Kerbals (and parts) exploding inside a closed faring is a very new thing. That's why this particular interaction with Take Command has only become evident now - the (game) problem simply did not exist before.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.