asteroid covered in weird green ores?

noobsrtoast

I have not reached the asteroid belt but I think you just encountered the famous Magic Boulder. It used to be above Ike, I think in a polar orbit, hard to spot.

You could not land on it because it had improper texture and collision model. Now it is present as an asteroid and may appear in random colors. As per the wiki description:

Magic Boulder - Missing since 0.18 - The magic boulder used to orbit Ike at an altitude of 15 km with zero eccentricity and an inclination of 80 degrees. The mesh (physical surface) for the magic boulder did not match its texture (visible surface) which could result in ships apparently digging into the surface with no ill effect. It would also cause ships to explode seemingly spontaneously, sometimes metres away from the surface, displaying "vesselname crashed into Magic Boulder" in the Flight Log. It also seemed to glow green as if radioactive, and there was a Monolith on its leading edge. The boulder had no gravity, did not appear in the map view and could not be targeted, much like any other easter egg, except in orbit. The Magic Boulder was re-added as a random asteroid as of 1.1.3 and cannot be found orbiting Ike, but can be found as an asteroid if you're lucky enough to track it. It's known to come in different colours: Pink, Orange, Blue, Red, Yellow and the good old green.

Does it look like this? http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/File:NewMagicBoulder.jpg

Edited by mystik

3 hours ago, noobsrtoast said:

i went to grab an asteroid today for something i was planning, nothing out of the ordinary until i got out to the rock in question, this particular size class e was covered in veins of what looked like some kind of metal ore, is this a texture bug or?

Congrats! You've found one of the new Magic Boulders implemented in 1.1.3. Don't be surprised if you find an asteroid covered in non-green veins. They can be blue, cyan, light green, orange, red, pink, purple, indigo, or beige. There are possibly still some unknown colors they come in. I did a study on about 200 asteroids and found that they have an exact 1/20 spawn rate. So they're somewhat common but no too common.

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Congrats! You've found one of the new Magic Boulders implemented in 1.1.3. Don't be surprised if you find an asteroid covered in non-green veins. They can be blue, cyan, light green, orange, red, pink, purple, indigo, or beige. There are possibly still some unknown colors they come in. I did a study on about 200 asteroids and found that they have an exact 1/20 spawn rate. So they're somewhat common but no too common.

well holy crap, sweet!

2 hours ago, mystik said:

I have not reached the asteroid belt but I think you just encountered the famous Magic Boulder. It used to be above Ike, I think in a polar orbit, hard to spot.

You could not land on it because it had improper texture and collision model. Now it is present as an asteroid and may appear in random colors. As per the wiki description:

Does it look like this? http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/File:NewMagicBoulder.jpg

it looks exactly like that, ha thats awesome

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Veins of beige? Ooooh exciting! :D

15 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

my luck must be off the charts or something, a few hours after i made this post, 2 more asteroids were naturally captured and i didnt even have to do anything, the mun was in the right place at the right time i guess and just happened to grab onto both of them at the same time and pull them into orbit ! edit: 3 of them!!!!, i just found another one that got yanked in by the gravity of minmus!!

edit 2: found a fourth one...

Edited by noobsrtoast

21 hours ago, noobsrtoast said:

my luck must be off the charts or something, a few hours after i made this post, 2 more asteroids were naturally captured and i didnt even have to do anything, the mun was in the right place at the right time i guess and just happened to grab onto both of them at the same time and pull them into orbit ! edit: 3 of them!!!!, i just found another one that got yanked in by the gravity of minmus!!

edit 2: found a fourth one...

Free fuel for you!

I wonder if there is something other than floating point errors that cause asteroid to get captured naturally.
I mean, KSP only consider the gravity of one body at a time, so it's impossible to get naturally captured unless you aerobrake... Riiiight?

But somehow, naturally captured asteroid are somewhat common. Puzzled! :confused:

On 12/13/2016 at 4:46 AM, mystik said:

the famous Magic Boulder. It used to be above Ike, I think in a polar orbit, hard to spot.

You guys should have a read of this thread, one of my favorite mission reads around:

10 hours ago, wibou7 said:

Free fuel for you!

I wonder if there is something other than floating point errors that cause asteroid to get captured naturally.
I mean, KSP only consider the gravity of one body at a time, so it's impossible to get naturally captured unless you aerobrake... Riiiight?

But somehow, naturally captured asteroid are somewhat common. Puzzled! :confused:

the mun is pulling them in, like how you can do a gravity assist on the mun from heliocentric orbit to pull yourself into orbit around kerbin, its just dumb luck that the mun happened to be in the right place at the right time, 4 times

7 hours ago, noobsrtoast said:

the mun is pulling them in, like how you can do a gravity assist on the mun from heliocentric orbit to pull yourself into orbit around kerbin, its just dumb luck that the mun happened to be in the right place at the right time, 4 times

Ah right, I never thought about gravity assist.
Assist from the moon is so weak I never use it, at least coming from interplanetary. But I guess it can be enough for asteroids coming in, it probably explains it!

2 hours ago, wibou7 said:

Ah right, I never thought about gravity assist.
Assist from the moon is so weak I never use it, at least coming from interplanetary. But I guess it can be enough for asteroids coming in, it probably explains it!

Yep, it's a perfectly valid way of getting asteroids captured, because they're generally going to be moving a lot slower than something coming from another planet. Be warned though: an asteroid captured this way won't stay there forever - eventually it'll intersect the Mun or Minmus and likely get flung back out, or end up crashing into something. So it's a good idea to move them if want to keep them :) 

11 hours ago, GluttonyReaper said:

Yep, it's a perfectly valid way of getting asteroids captured, because they're generally going to be moving a lot slower than something coming from another planet. Be warned though: an asteroid captured this way won't stay there forever - eventually it'll intersect the Mun or Minmus and likely get flung back out, or end up crashing into something. So it's a good idea to move them if want to keep them :) 

i actually let events progress naturally and let them get flung back out into space by the mun, they were cluttering up my map view and i didnt feel like i had earned them, it reminds me of that time earth had a temporary asteroid moon, which was awesome

11 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

And let's not forget the usual case: the asteroid mah bave a very excentrical, but polar orbit (a tundra orbit, to be technical), in which case making them reach Mun/Min is HARD

every single asteroid that got pulled into orbit was on a very similar orbit that intersected with the muns orbit, the orbits were almost exactly the same eccentricy and on the exact same orbital plane

Edited by noobsrtoast

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.