Development Update for Consoles!

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, Ineedaweapon said:

Yeah this threw me a little bit.  A while back they were talking about it being in the final stages, now theyre saying theyre still working on the controls?  Perhaps theyre making it in reverse?

When I read it I assumed that it meant that the QA team had a few small suggestions about how to tweak them slightly, not that they were starting over.

23 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

When I read it I assumed that it meant that the QA team had a few small suggestions about how to tweak them slightly, not that they were starting over.

If memory is correct, this is the 4th(?) time they've supposedly "changed the control scheme". 

Here's an idea. Play Birds of Steel, look at its player customizable control scheme, and implement THAT in KSP! Maybe let players CHOOSE their own controls!?

2 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

Here's an idea. Play Birds of Steel, look at its player customizable control scheme, and implement THAT in KSP! Maybe let players CHOOSE their own controls!?

While I am absolutely in support of customizable controls, and may even look down upon games with static controls, defaults are important. They determine how the bulk of your players will experience the game, and how nearly every player will experience it for the first time.This applies to the difficulty options as well, which conveniently possess a number of defaults.

13 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

While I am absolutely in support of customizable controls, and may even look down upon games with static controls, defaults are important. They determine how the bulk of your players will experience the game, and how nearly every player will experience it for the first time.This applies to the difficulty options as well, which conveniently possess a number of defaults.

Well, then here's an idea. You can program two separate default control schemes for rockets and planes.

Use Ace Combat's control scheme for default in atmosphere craft (jets and spaceplanes). (I use Ace Combat since I doubt very many console gamers have played IL-2 Sturmovik, Birds of Steel, or any others)

RT/LT - Throttle Up/Throttle Down 

RB/LB - Yaw Right/Yaw Left 

Left Stick - Pitch/Roll 

Easy, right?

As for rockets? Use the same default control scheme that we're used to.

EDIT: Here's a question for the devs that hopefully I can get an answer for. 

I've already mastered making VTOL fighters and Jumpjets (Harriers, F-35B's, Yakovlev Yak-141, etc.), so I would like to know if it's possible to implement the necessary propulsion systems to make helicopters.

Edited by LegendaryAce

1 hour ago, LegendaryAce said:

EDIT: Here's a question for the devs that hopefully I can get an answer for. 

I've already mastered making VTOL fighters and Jumpjets (Harriers, F-35B's, Yakovlev Yak-141, etc.), so I would like to know if it's possible to implement the necessary propulsion systems to make helicopters.

The console version will get the same parts as the pc version. There are no stock helicopter rotors but people have made heli's without them (https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-Azi15-Archon-II-v10https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-Azi14-Asura-v12)

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

10 hours ago, Deddly said:

Sounds to me like they are in the fine-tuning stage rather than planning the controls from scratch. 

Yeah, you're probably right, it's just hard to be optimistic sometimes when the further you travel down the road, the longer the road seems to get.

On 12/08/2017 at 10:16 PM, Deddly said:

Sounds to me like they are in the fine-tuning stage rather than planning the controls from scratch. 

Yeah! They used the word "refining" so I'd assume some problems arose from the controls that needed tweaking.

On 12/08/2017 at 0:26 AM, OrganizedChaos said:

I'd settle for a solid date it won't be released by.  I mean if they know it won't be ready before November, then let us know. Then when they get closer to November and it still looks a few months off update it and say it won't be out before January and so on.  At least then we wouldn't be sitting in limbo waiting on a weekly update.

Short leash my friend, need to keep us hooked

18 hours ago, Kerbuvim said:

Last time the journey was long, but the reward was rotten.

Yeah you're right, but gotta keep wishing. I just hope it comes before I ship out. Anyway, I just hope they keep as much attention as possible to Console. As long they aren't distracted, the update should be soon. Lets hope for a "Its been sent to Microsoft" next weekly.

Weekly report...

In other news the testing of bugs and fixing them for the updated version of KSP on the consoles continues. Some of this week’s fixes include: Problems with buttons persisting onscreen; stick controls not working as intended; and saving a game at the flight report after a crash would place the player at a random ship when the game was reloaded .The latter was particularly tricky because it was a core bug in the game, which hadn’t been noticed before. Luckily these were identified, confirmed and fixed, so you will not have to worry about them in the future.

It's been quiet around here lately, I guess there's not much left to be said until it finally releases.

Here's the weekly if anyone's still watching...

The updated version of KSP for consoles was also part of this week’s agenda. Thanks to the conjoint effort of the external testing team, the QA team and Blitworks few issues were resolved. Among these, there was a high priority bug that occured when ‘back’ was selected from the ‘LaunchPad not clear’ prompt, all vessel icons in KSC view lost functionality and remained in fixed locations on the screen despite any camera movements. The 'Options’ button ('Menu’ button for Xbox One) also lost functionality and couldn’t be used unless another area was visited. Similarly, a critical bug was also fixed recently. This one was triggered when the game was paused while in cursor mode during a flight, and 'Return to Space Center’ was selected, the game would then become stuck in the 'Stages’ section and unable to continue until reboot. The release for the updated version on consoles has been taking this long because we are investing more resources to ensure that the game experience for console players is greatly improved, and despite the bugs we have been telling you about, we are very happy with the results we’ve been getting with our friends at Blitworks. We can’t wait to see the response of the community once they get their hands on the final product.

On 26/08/2017 at 7:10 AM, Ineedaweapon said:

It's been quiet around here lately, I guess there's not much left to be said until it finally releases.

Here's the weekly if anyone's still watching...

I don't know about anyone else but this week's.....er weekly, seems promising.

Idk,  maybe it's wishful thinking but the tone seems to suggest to me we maybe approaching the end of our long wait

Iv'e not posted on here for a while.. I have a 'back and forth' relationship between KSP and Elite Dangerous.

KSP for realism

ED for...well a game that works.

I'm going to be playing KSP tonight for the first time in ages, to get myself back in the swing as i'm getting the feeling an update is imminent. This might be blind optimism (I've been known for my KSP cataracts since original release when a bug fix was 'just around the corner' ) but something has got to give. it must be soon and im looking forward to being blown away by how much they have improved it.

The way I see it, they had options. release individual bug fixes on a monthly basis like many games do but continue to take [snip] for the things wrong with the game every time. or think....'heads down guys were gonna make this game perfect'!

I'm holding onto that, and i don't mind being called naive. Obviously i paid for the game over a year ago and would have liked to play is as intended but the fact of the matter is, it didn't happen. things have gone wrong from the devs side of things. people leaving, Flying Tiger being sacked off etc. but I appreciate they have not just cut their losses and moved on.

However, if you would also like to add a stock version of MechJeb by way of apology to the console users in the form of a free follow up DLC, I would not say no :D

Edited by Deddly
Took away one poorly-disguised word ;)

I really hope the update is imminent,  Every other session I play ends in corrupted date losing hours of gameplay. I have been playing less and less because it is unbelievably frustrating.  I know they are trying to deliver an as bug free game as possible, but this crash and corrupt data issue we have been dealing with for over a year now is beyond ridiculous.  They need to update this game ASAP  to deal with this literally game braking issue and deal with other issues as they arise in future patches.   Everyone says to be patient,  well waiting over a year is going above and beyond patient as this point.

I have been eagerly awaiting the update not only for the fixes but the extra's that are added as well, but the more I try to play the the more resentful I get.  I have shelved the game numerous times, but always try to come back for my love of the game only to end in disappointed and frustration.  Sorry if I'm coming off a little whiney but I just need to vent a bit after this last session I attempted to play.  I realize a post on a forum isn't going to accomplish anything, but it's nice to get stuff off your chest.  Thanks for listening.

Well I'm just glad that they are taking they're time with this new port, to make it as big free as possible.

I stopped playing KSP because of the game freezing/crashing and corrupting my data. Had to fall back on a PS+ cloud save, and lost a space station I put around the Mun. After that I just have abandoned the game until this new port comes out.

16 hours ago, OrganizedChaos said:

Everyone says to be patient,  well waiting over a year is going above and beyond patient as this point.

I definitely agree, Do you think it would be too optimistic to think they might give people who bought the game over a year ago, something extra as a good will gesture? some free future DLC or something? :D

3 hours ago, AndyChilly said:

I definitely agree, Do you think it would be too optimistic to think they might give people who bought the game over a year ago, something extra as a good will gesture? some free future DLC or something? :D

Aren't we already getting the commnet, kerbnet, fuelflow and improved wheels for free?  Actually, now that I think of it, I have no idea if any of that stuff was paid dlc on pc or not.  I think I just assumed it was because of the emphasis on 'FREE' in the original post.

6 hours ago, AndyChilly said:

I'm just hoping we actually get the DLC.  There has been no reference to them even bringing it to the consoles as of yet.  However if they do bring it to console (most likely they will) it would be a nice gesture to at least give a discount on release for a short time.  Not that I expect that or even mind if they didn't it would still be nice and appreciated.

Im still glad and very happy they went with a new dev and a rebuild for 1.2, but with the light at the end of the tunnel almost invisible with only the comfort that eventually we will get it is growing stale.  I just wish they were more forthcoming with the progress.  As it is we are completely in the dark with no end in sight.  If it is soon, then how soon?  If it's still a way off, how far away.  If they owe us anything, it's at least that.  I get that Squad doesn't work that way and it's not their norm,  but the console situation has been anything but the norm and has special circumstances.

Edited by OrganizedChaos

42 minutes ago, OrganizedChaos said:

I'm just hoping we actually get the DLC.  There has been no reference to them even bringing it to the consoles as of yet.  However if they do bring it to console (most likely they will) it would be a nice gesture to at least give a discount on release for a short time.  Not that I expect that or even mind if they didn't it would still be nice and appreciated.

Im still glad and very happy they went with a new dev and a rebuild for 1.2, but with the light at the end of the tunnel almost invisible with only the comfort that eventually we will get it is growing stale.  I just wish they were more forthcoming with the progress.  As it is we are completely in the dark with no end in sight.  If it is soon, then how soon?  If it's still a way off, how far away.  If they owe us anything, it's at least that.  I get that Squad doesn't work that way and it's not their norm,  but the console situation has been anything but the norm and has special circumstances.

I share your frustration, but I wouldn't say that we're completely in the dark.  They've been giving us fairly detailed reports on their bug hunting efforts in the recent weeklies (weeklys?) and although that's nowhere near as nice as a solid release date, I can kind of understand why that may be difficult for them to give.  If they don't know what kind of bugs they might still find, then they won't know how long it may take them to fix those bugs.  Also taking into consideration the serious misfire of the original "early 2017" release date, I can understand why they would be hesitant to give another potentially erroneous date for us to fume over when it doesn't pan out.

Still, I have to agree that some form of in-game compensation would certainly go a long way towards repairing relations with us console folks.  Something to think about, right squad?