Development Update for Consoles!

UomoCapra

Yeah, I appreciate the updates on the work they are doing, but we are in the dark as to any idea of when we might get it.  I do understand the repercussions of not hitting a target date and not knowing what bugs will pop up next.  I don't see the harm in an estimate at this point.  I mean after blowing past the early 2017 time frame now entering later 2017 they surely have have a much better idea.  Don't they?  

7 minutes ago, LegendaryAce said:

Do what I do. Don't delude yourself into thinking there will be an update, that way when there is, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lol,  unfortunately it's too late for that. I keep trying to play the game and it constantly reminds me it's going to get better.................soon.

1 hour ago, OrganizedChaos said:

Lol,  unfortunately it's too late for that. I keep trying to play the game and it constantly reminds me it's going to get better.................soon.

Oh. I guess that's out of the question then, isn't it. I haven't played KSP since February, so what's another year?

Weekly stuff...

Work on the updated version of KSP for consoles continues and each passing week translates into more resolved issues, polishing and overall improvements in its performance. For instance, some of the issues resolved this week include a bug that was triggered when trying to overwrite a save file with the same name while in flight, the ‘Quicksave As..’ window would become then indefinitely stuck on screen. But don’t you worry, the issue was fixed and now you’ll be able to use the “Quicksave As…” feature under those circumstances without worrying about this issue. Another fixed issue involved the Crew Management controls remaining active when the Pause menu was opened and it would clear/fill all the vessel’s seats when trying to close the Pause menu. The PS4 build also had a bug that involved the launchpad appearing as destroyed/damaged after repairing it several times. Repairing it and heading to the VAB to launch a vessel would prompt the 'out of service’ message every time. While on the KSC and after repairing the building, trying to launch a vessel would put it on a destroyed launchpad. But bug fixing wasn’t the only tasks in the table for the console versions. As we have mentioned in previous KSP Weeklies, the team has been working on improving the controls for these new versions and we can now confirm controller mapping presets for KSP on consoles. We will give more details soon, but basically, players will be able to choose between different controller presets, including a Legacy Mapping.

So, it seems my suspicions were correct. We will be able to get control schemes similar to that of Ace Combat. That'll make in-atmosphere craft much easier to pilot.

However, on the negative side, it seems like there's more and more bugs every week. Don't get me wrong, I love that they're showing progress, but it seems to me that this version may be just as bad as FTE's version. 

Call me a cynic, but there's more than enough evidence to back me up.

(EDIT: Forgive me for being so brash, but does it seem like we're going nowhere fast? It seems like every Weekly we get, we're still no closer to release.)

Edited by LegendaryAce

10 minutes ago, LegendaryAce said:

So, it seems my suspicions were correct. We will be able to get control schemes similar to that of Ace Combat. That'll make in-atmosphere craft much easier to pilot.

However, on the negative side, it seems like there's more and more bugs every week. Don't get me wrong, I love that they're showing progress, but it seems to me that this version may be just as bad as FTE's version. 

Call me a cynic, but there's more than enough evidence to back me up.

(EDIT: Forgive me for being so brash, but does it seem like we're going nowhere fast? It seems like every Weekly we get, we're still no closer to release.)

The fact that they are going through and finding/fixing these bugs shows that they are doing much more QA testing and more dev which means that it will definitely be supreme to FTE. 

Yeah, I know, I know. It's just the lack of any update towards ANY kind of time frame. The least they could do is say before 2018. That way I won't be debating on whether to permanently shelve KSP or not.

(I apologize for my mood. This week has not been nice.)

1 hour ago, LegendaryAce said:

Yeah, I know, I know. It's just the lack of any update towards ANY kind of time frame. The least they could do is say before 2018. That way I won't be debating on whether to permanently shelve KSP or not.

(I apologize for my mood. This week has not been nice.)

I'm with you,  it just seems like they are just kicking the can down the street when it comes to finding and fixing bugs.   I mean let's be realistic here, there is no chance that when ever they decide to release that the game will be bug free.  Have they had a completely bug free version for the PC since it's very first update until now? I'm going to guess no.  So at some point the game is going to have to be in a state that is stable enough to release and continue to fix bugs in an ongoing update practice as is done on PC.  The state the new version is in can't be any worse then the version we have now........

Edited by OrganizedChaos

3 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

However, on the negative side, it seems like there's more and more bugs every week.

Well, since people insisted on blow-by-blow detail in the updates, and the code was already made for the PC version, so the work consists of converting that to console code and fixing the bugs that result... 

There really isn't anything else to be talked about. 

I didn't read it that way. I understood it as them just giving an example of some bugs that were squashed this week. There was no indication that they didn't already have those bugs on the tracker waiting to be fixed. But I think that mentioning these bugs gives us a good reason why they haven't done what some people have been requesting - just releasing what they have for people to play with. 

31 minutes ago, Deddly said:

I didn't read it that way. I understood it as them just giving an example of some bugs that were squashed this week. There was no indication that they didn't already have those bugs on the tracker waiting to be fixed. But I think that mentioning these bugs gives us a good reason why they haven't done what some people have been requesting - just releasing what they have for people to play with. 

I'm not dissatisfied with the bug, reports, but I'm starting to feel like it's becoming a wash, rinse, and repeat cycle. Sure, they're finding new ones all the time, but how many non-gamebreaking bugs need to be found before it's stable enough to be released and hotfixes can take over? Surely this current build (as of 1:00AM PST on September 1st) is way more stable than the FTE version.

Also, I'm getting even more irritated since now we're rapidly approaching the one year anniversary of the announcement for a fix.

1 hour ago, LegendaryAce said:

I'm not dissatisfied with the bug, reports, but I'm starting to feel like it's becoming a wash, rinse, and repeat cycle. Sure, they're finding new ones all the time, but how many non-gamebreaking bugs need to be found before it's stable enough to be released and hotfixes can take over? Surely this current build (as of 1:00AM PST on September 1st) is way more stable than the FTE version.

I've been wondering about this one myself.  I don't know if it's possible, given how complex games are these days, to find and eliminate every single bug before a game is released.  I mean, pretty much every game that comes out gets a patch at some point.  There are always a few sneaky ones that make it through testing and don't get dicovered until you have thousands of people playing the game in thousands of different ways.  There must be a particular point in the development of any game where the devs must say "it's time to stop looking, let's go for release", but it must be a difficult decision to make.

However, as deddly pointed out, we don't know when these particular bugs were found, or how long they may have been working on fixing them.  Also, some of them sound like they would be quite gamebreaking, maybe not as bad as losing all your saves, but still exceptionally annoying should you encounter them, with the potential risk of losing progress.

After everything that's happened, can you imagine the backlash they would get if they released the game now with those kinds of bugs still in it?  I know that you've said before legendaryace that you would be happy enough to play a slightly buggy version and help test it for a patch (as would I when it comes to it), but I know there are a great many people who would not be so forgiving, and getting a new version of the game that is still buggy would be the last straw.  It seems clear to me that squad is playing it safe with this one and we'll just have to grit our teeth and be patient.

On 30/08/2017 at 4:59 PM, OrganizedChaos said:

I'm just hoping we actually get the DLC.  There has been no reference to them even bringing it to the consoles as of yet.  However if they do bring it to console (most likely they will) it would be a nice gesture to at least give a discount on release for a short time.  Not that I expect that or even mind if they didn't it would still be nice and appreciated.

Im still glad and very happy they went with a new dev and a rebuild for 1.2, but with the light at the end of the tunnel almost invisible with only the comfort that eventually we will get it is growing stale.  I just wish they were more forthcoming with the progress.  As it is we are completely in the dark with no end in sight.  If it is soon, then how soon?  If it's still a way off, how far away.  If they owe us anything, it's at least that.  I get that Squad doesn't work that way and it's not their norm,  but the console situation has been anything but the norm and has special circumstances.

They should at the very minimal give it for free for who bought the game a long time ago.

I have KSP for more than a year now, unplayable...

On 30/08/2017 at 6:28 PM, Ineedaweapon said:

Aren't we already getting the commnet, kerbnet, fuelflow and improved wheels for free?  Actually, now that I think of it, I have no idea if any of that stuff was paid dlc on pc or not.  I think I just assumed it was because of the emphasis on 'FREE' in the original post.

wait what....is there a link for what this stuff is as i totally missed this.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:28 AM, Ineedaweapon said:

Aren't we already getting the commnet, kerbnet, fuelflow and improved wheels for free?  Actually, now that I think of it, I have no idea if any of that stuff was paid dlc on pc or not.  I think I just assumed it was because of the emphasis on 'FREE' in the original post.

Truthfully, this should be given to us regardless. For one, the wheels in our version are completely broken.

The TR-2L wheels are absolutely useless. I tried using them for a long duration rover (named Pioneer) which held everything from a Double C Seismic Accelerometer to an M4435 Narrow Band Scanner, to be stationed on Minmus. 

But unfortunately, due to the wheels being beyond broken, 4 of 6 of the TR-2L's broke at the moment of landing, which was at a landing speed of 1.2mps.

So I don't believe that those things being advertised should be the compensation.

Edited by LegendaryAce

7 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

Truthfully, this should be given to us regardless. For one, the wheels in our version are completely broken.

The TR-2L wheels are absolutely useless. I tried using them for a long duration rover (named Pioneer) which held everything from a Double C Seismic Accelerometer to an M4435 Narrow Band Scanner, to be stationed on Minmus. 

But unfortunately, due to the wheels being beyond broken, 4 of 6 of the TR-2L's broke at the moment of landing, which was at a landing speed of 1.2mps.

So I don't believe that those things being advertised should be the compensation.

And let's not forget the lt-1 landing strut that explodes upon contact with anything! Literally, I place a craft on the launch pad for testing and boom!

All those landing gear problems were on the pc version too, its not exclusive to the botched console release.  It was pretty well fixed with 1.2 version that you all will be receiving.

I wonder how long its gonna take them to bring console up to 1.3 after they finally release 1.2 to you folks?  Making history DLC will require a particular version (whichever one is current when its released), so you guys will have to wait again to be updated to the DLC-supporting version before it gets offered on console.

56 minutes ago, klesh said:

All those landing gear problems were on the pc version too, its not exclusive to the botched console release.  It was pretty well fixed with 1.2 version that you all will be receiving.

I wonder how long its gonna take them to bring console up to 1.3 after they finally release 1.2 to you folks?  Making history DLC will require a particular version (whichever one is current when its released), so you guys will have to wait again to be updated to the DLC-supporting version before it gets offered on console.

Eh, what's 2 more years right? 

I have a sneaking suspicion that once we get 1.2, one of two things will happen.

1) Work on a port for 1.3 will be started soon after, and we'll be waiting for a few years to get it. It'll be a long arduous road, but we'll see it eventually.

2) Squad decides that consoles aren't worth the trouble and the money, and after 1.2, absolves themselves of any further development on the consoles, and KSP on consoles will slowly stagnate from lack of support.

Sadly, I'm starting to believe that the second possibility is what's going to happen.

Edited by LegendaryAce

4 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

2) Suad decides that consoles aren't worth the trouble and the money, and after 1.2, absolves themselves of any further development on the consoles, and KSP on consoles will slowly stagnate from lack of support.

I imagine thats what will happen, but screw it, I'd take that. 

Remember back in the days when you would buy a game for £40-£50 and that was it. you were stuck with what you've got?

Thats right Kerbals. When this update is released i'm just going to pretend its the 00's :D

8 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

2) Squad decides that consoles aren't worth the trouble and the money, and after 1.2, absolves themselves of any further development on the consoles, and KSP on consoles will slowly stagnate from lack of support.

That would not be the end of the world TBH, 1.2 (assuming it's 1.2.2) is solid.

All 1.3 really adds is localisation, Asteroid Day and ambient lighting if I remember rightly.

15 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

That would not be the end of the world TBH, 1.2 (assuming it's 1.2.2) is solid.

All 1.3 really adds is localisation, Asteroid Day and ambient lighting if I remember rightly.

It's not so much what 1.3 adds it's more of if we don't get 1.3 we most likely aren't getting the DLC. Which would be a bummer.