Development Update for Consoles!

UomoCapra

15 hours ago, Terwin said:

I know Console users have little reason to be optimistic at this point, but there are any number of reasons why a major bug may not be fixed until near the end of the development cycle (aside from being newly discovered).

I don't even own a console, but the way those who purchased the console version have been treated so far instils exactly zero faith in me. Neither in SQUADs motives, nor the likelihood of this port turning out any different to the last one.

We've been hearing "soon" and "we're working on it" for a long time now, and this after a not-inconsiderable period of "silence". Now, after all this waiting, we're hearing "we fixed another totally game breaking bug, yay".
Meanwhile, two "more customers, more money" initiatives have taken flight for the PC version... All hands on deck to fix our screwup this is not.

SQUAD sold a broken product, and putting it right is still pending. Until that happens, I vote no confidence.

Edited by steve_v

6 hours ago, steve_v said:

All hands on deck to fix our screwup this is not.

But Squad isn't the company that's doing the console version.  It's being done by a different company.  Should Squad have their employees simply sit on their hands while they wait for the other company to finish the console version?

9 minutes ago, razark said:

But Squad isn't the company that's doing the console version.

Irrelevant. Squad is the company with the big fat logo on the box, Squad is the company making money from sales, Squad is the company that decided to take a risk on Flailing Tiger Entertainment.

I don't care who is holding up the works here, or who is to blame for this mess. It's Squads product, so Squad needs to suck it up and get people what they paid for, in a reasonable timeframe.
The clock is still ticking, and it's now well beyond reasonable.

23 hours ago, steve_v said:

Irrelevant. Squad is the company with the big fat logo on the box, Squad is the company making money from sales, Squad is the company that decided to take a risk on Flailing Tiger Entertainment.

I don't care who is holding up the works here, or who is to blame for this mess. It's Squads product, so Squad needs to suck it up and get people what they paid for, in a reasonable timeframe.
The clock is still ticking, and it's now well beyond reasonable.

blitzworks are the new porters for KSP on console versions and they are actually pretty good at porting games without breaking them like they were the ones that ported bioshock and well they have to make a brand "new" game in order to make the update and they have to rework the code soo it can work on the consoles to make it like its on PC soo patience padawan ( yes i did a star wars reference )

Edited by Karma Kerman
forgot to put a word in the quotations ( )

I hate to say it, but I don't have much patience left. 

What will happen when you run out of patience? You'll stop waiting? Demand a refund? Forget Squad ever existed? I suggest you do that now.

When the Blitworks port is eventually released, it will stand or fall on its own merit regardless of what went before and how people felt about it. If it's good, and if u're still interested in videogames in or around the genre, you'll almost certainly hear it's good, and u can decide then whether it's worth the price being asked at the time. If it's bad, you'll hear it's bad, and no skin off your nose because you already walked out on that relationship and good riddance.

Alternatively you can keep complaining about that (metaphorical) broken toy you got given for Christmas that one time and how it ruined Christmas forever, and your whole childhood, and maybe your life.

And it won't change a damn thing.

First off, I hate to say it, but that came off a bit rude, so there's that.

But secondly, I wouldn't be so aggravated about it if it weren't for the fact that not only is my game broken, but I spent $40 of my hard earned money in good faith, only to find out I CAN'T get a refund. 

And thirdly, I have every right to be as angry as I am and have a lack of patience that I do. In case you haven't noticed, this fiasco has been going on for almost a year and a half, so I'm sorry that my irritation is getting annoying.

Edited by LegendaryAce

First off, I hate to say it, but that came off a bit rude, so there's that.

But secondly, I wouldn't be so aggravated about it if it weren't for the fact that not only is my game broken, but I spent $40 of my hard earned money in good faith, only to find out I CAN'T get a refund. 

And thirdly, I have every right to be as angry as I am and have a lack of patience that I do. In case you haven't noticed, this fiasco has been going on for almost a year and a half, so I'm sorry that my irritation is getting annoying.

It's ok, part of entitlement is being allowed to be rude and upset and irritated and annoyed.

But ur game is still broke, and your misery is still more bothersome to you than me. Seriously, I'm not recommending you (and dozens like you) move on for my sake, but yours.

I plan on staying, if only to see if Squad can and will ever fix this mess. I personally couldn't care less about KSP anymore, since I care way more about Ace Combat 7 and am eagerly awaiting it's release (and it'll be far less broken at launch).

That's why these Weeklies don't bother me in the least. After undergoing an update drought of almost 2 years with Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition, I've learned to not care once a wait for an update passes a year. Plus Jundroo, the creators of Simpleplanes, are releasing Simplerockets 2 early next year, and I know they won't disappoint. So even if KSP doesn't get updated, I'll still have a space game to play. 

(EDIT: Also, I noticed that you're a PC player, so I'm 99% certain that you have no clue as to what makes us so upset.

And that little comment about being entitled is laughable. How can I be entitled when I don't have anything to appreciate? I'm not sure you understand what entitlement is. You've gotta have something to appreciate, yet we console gamers have a $40 pile of broken code.

And to quote someone from a game of mine that actually works, "I'm shutting down communications".)

Edited by LegendaryAce

@LegendaryAce

It's a shame I'm very limited in what I can say. However what I can say, in line with what you'll inevitably read almost every week on KSP Weekly, is that work on the console updates does continue, and at quite a pace, too. XB1 and PS4 owners have not been forgotten, and Blitworks' update will be available at no extra charge to people who have the FTE version. We'd just like to get this one right, yaknow?

@The_Rocketeer

It's not "entitled" to want a game that works after spending $40. Hence, Blitworks.

It's not "entitled" to want a game that works after spending $40. Hence, Blitworks.

Not that I want to argue with you @technicalfool, but that must be approaching the definition of entitlement. You pay, you are entitled.

But look, don't misunderstand me, I'm very pleased that Squad are supporting their customers in this, and if anything I'm disappointed that they don't get more credit for doing that - there are plenty of other software developers out there that have done much less.

I'm also really sympathetic to the frustration of those customers in having paid for something that disappointed them. I think we've probably all been there.

What I'm saying here, probably a little cack-handedly, is that those same customers do have a choice whether to go on feeling bad about it or not. Choosing to go on minding about it is likely to cause more distress than choosing otherwise. Sometimes just walking away is the best thing for everyone. It doesn't mean you can't turn around later if you change your mind, but it does mean nobody is making you suffer right now except you.

Squad can make this right at any time, by refunding those who purchased the broken port. It's that simple. They haven't.
I could justify not doing so if a fix was just around the corner, but it's been over a year now.
It's pretty straight forward really: Provide the product people paid for, or return their money. Stringing your customers along for this length of time is not acceptable.
There's no legal compulsion to do either (If there was, I'd be all over it), but leaving people with a broken mess is a clear violation of Wheaton's Law, and those people have every right to be angry about it.

7 hours ago, steve_v said:

Squad can make this right at any time, by refunding those who purchased the broken port. It's that simple. They haven't.
I could justify not doing so if a fix was just around the corner, but it's been over a year now.
It's pretty straight forward really: Provide the product people paid for, or return their money. Stringing your customers along for this length of time is not acceptable.
There's no legal compulsion to do either (If there was, I'd be all over it), but leaving people with a broken mess is a clear violation of Wheaton's Law, and those people have every right to be angry about it.

You took the words right out of my mouth, I think alot of the anger people feel could of been avoided if squad (when putting a bullet in the FTE version) had just issued a blanket refund, with a statement expressing hope of our return when blitworks version is released, but I suspect that it wasn't economically possible.

Strangely I suspect there would of been less anger if squad had just continued to patch the FTE version, it the feeling of helpless suspense that drives everyone mad

17 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Not that I want to argue with you @technicalfool, but that must be approaching the definition of entitlement. You pay, you are entitled.

You are referring to the dictionary definition of entitled(similar to 'Authorized'), while they are responding to the common usage of the word(similar to 'wanting it without wanting to pay for it').

As they have already paid for heir console version, the dictionary definition applies, but the common definition does not.

17 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

What I'm saying here, probably a little cack-handedly, is that those same customers do have a choice whether to go on feeling bad about it or not. Choosing to go on minding about it is likely to cause more distress than choosing otherwise. Sometimes just walking away is the best thing for everyone. It doesn't mean you can't turn around later if you change your mind, but it does mean nobody is making you suffer right now except you.

While many more logical people can exert a strong control over their emotions and can shut down unwanted feelings to a lesser or greater degree, there are a larger number of people for whom their emotions have a larger role in their psychological make-up, and do not have that luxury.  (although the apparent loss of vividness that comes with having and exerting such control often makes me wonder what it would be like to have a stronger emotional component, so luxury may not be the best term)

@Terwin I am using the word as I understand it, which would seem to be in line with both the dictionary and the etymological definition. If I am misunderstood because other people use another definition, that is hardly my fault. Case by case, to a greater or lesser extent, both senses of meaning may be applicable.

There's also a real difference between controlling emotions and controlling behaviour to avoid aggravating emotions. If someone is unhappy about a videogame purchase that has no foreseeable short-term resolution, there is little to be gained by frequenting to the community website for that game in the fain hope of good news, and still less to be gained by repeatedly restating the same complaints.

17 minutes ago, monstah said:

Okay guys, semantics aside, let's discuss the Development Update for the Console version, not the validity of each others' feelings.

Actually @monstah I think you cut to the point here. I'm talking about strategies for dealing with those feelings, not raising any question of validity at all.

I really hope I've made that clear. I'll go away now.

Weekly time, more of the usual it seems...

In other news this week, we received a new build for the console version of KSP, which incorporated improvements to the controller mapping and solved a few issues thanks to the conjoint effort of the external testers, Blitworks and the QA team. Some of the issues fixed within the latest build include a critical bug that locked up the game when the “Load Save” option in the Pause Menu was selected and forced testers to perform a game reboot to continue. Other minor issues were solved too, like one where the “Toggle Helmet Lights” binding in one of the controllers also activated RCS.

Exciting stuff...

working with software development I'm aware this sort of thing takes time, however there is taking time and there is tedious.

if the console code base was being worked on in parallel to the main code base - so it will be the most up to date version when released, and then kept in sync maybe its worth it.

to get a version several steps behind, thats still got a range of bugs that the PC version has had fixed, plus its own quirks seems pointless

1 hour ago, AmericanxxVenom said:

Sitting here Launching the game, for good ol' times. 

Lol, same here... launched it, then came right here to see IF there was anything new...

One thing I'm sure of though, Squad will never see another penny from me

On 10/7/2017 at 7:39 AM, Ineedaweapon said:

Weekly time, more of the usual it seems...

Seems like they just recycle the same stuff about consoles every week imho

2 hours ago, claptonrulez said:

One thing I'm sure of though, Squad will never see another penny from me

Take Two owns KSP now, so that's good news or bad news, depending on your opinion on them :)