Development Update for Consoles!

UomoCapra

39 minutes ago, yingyangaje90 said:

FYI they are not going to be releasing an updated version to the consoles anytime soon and if they do it won't be until 2020 at the latest. I'd suggest buying it for your PC/Mac guys. They basically have given up on the console builds, I mean the PC/Mac release is already at 1.3.1 going onto 1.3.2 here very soon. So its obvious that the console version will be one complete version behind the PC/Mac,  so Squad could care less about the consoles, their main focus is the PC/Mac

What is the point of this post? 

2 minutes ago, LegendaryAce said:

Seriously?! Did you not read the latest Weekly from last week?

They implicitly said "An updated version of KSP for consoles will be available by the end of January 2018".

Highly doubt it I trust them on the console update as far as I could throw them which wouldn't be very far.

the posts arent even worth talking about.  it provides nothing but either angry banter from someone oblivious to the actual updates, or someone purposely trying to rile people up.

we know the state of the new port as they have provided us updates,  we know they hired a brand new company, we know they redeveloped the control scheme,  we know they have done a vast amount of testing.   They told us they would let us know about certification, then not long later gave us the jan 2018 time frame, hinting that is either going into it, or preparing to.

when excrements hit the fan, we knew it was going to be a long fix for blitworkz.  we should be getting excited this long process is almost over

2 hours ago, yingyangaje90 said:

FYI they are not going to be releasing an updated version to the consoles anytime soon and if they do it won't be until 2020 at the latest. I'd suggest buying it for your PC/Mac guys. They basically have given up on the console builds, I mean the PC/Mac release is already at 1.3.1 going onto 1.3.2 here very soon. So its obvious that the console version will be one complete version behind the PC/Mac,  so Squad could care less about the consoles, their main focus is the PC/Mac.

Everything that Squad has said so far regarding consoles has been reasonable, albeit disappointing, at the time with which they said it. When it became obvious (to Squad, it was pretty obvious to many in the community at the time of the announcement of FTE's involvement) that FTE was too inexperienced, too incompetent, and ultimately utterly incapable of producing a functional port, Squad decided to part ways with FTE and hire Blitworks (a company with a much better portfolio and reputation) to fix everything. At that time I'm sure Squad thought Blitworks could clean up whatever FTE had done and release a fix by early 2017. That wasn't an unreasonable thought, but Squad doesn't have any experience with console software and must have had no idea just how bad a job FTE did. It's very likely they remained optimistic about Blitworks abilities to turn it around, even when it became apparent that FTE's work was so bad it would have to be restarted from scratch. If a broken version took about a year from announcement to release, it's not unreasonable to think that a working version built from scratch is taking about a year to release. I acknowledge that the Squad only recently admitted that Blitworks had to start from scratch and that it seemed like the console versions were taking way too long to fix, but given that information it now makes sense as to why it's taking so long. It's no excuse for not communicating better, but at least now it all makes sense. Also, it's a much more reasonable scenario than believing they've just been outright lying this whole time. Plus, it's a really bad lie when they'll be proven as liars in about two months time. It also makes sense that it would take so long to announce a release window: if they give an optimistic window and miss it because software development is hard even for experts who have been doing this a long time (not to mention a studio that has only done it once and then only on PC), it would be the second time they missed their announced release, and if they give a pessimistic window it may be much longer than it'll actually take and be very discouraging and upsetting to customers.

Granted, if February comes and they haven't delivered I'm thinking they might as well cancel any further plans to sell anything else on consoles. It's likely that no one would be interested in anything they had to say or sell at that point.

1 hour ago, yingyangaje90 said:

Highly doubt it I trust them on the console update as far as I could throw them which wouldn't be very far.

I don't blame you for not trusting them, and it isn't your responsibility to understand how software is made. That being said, what little they have said does make sense when you understand how companies operate and how software is made. You're free to trust them or not, of course, but please try to refrain from spreading misinformation. For example, they have already announced the console version re-release date as "by the end of January 2018." That is rather far off from your estimate of 2020. Also, there is no announced 1.3.2, but there is an announced 1.4. If you're going to talk about a thing as if it were fact, please have some idea what it is you're talking about.

I'm so glad that console players are finally going to get to experience this great game as it should be.

For myself, I really want KSP on PS4, but no offence, after the last one, I will be letting you guys be the guinea pigs and test it throroughly before I dip my toes in the water.

On 11/8/2017 at 7:54 PM, Mako said:

When it became obvious (to Squad, it was pretty obvious to many in the community at the time of the announcement of FTE's involvement) that FTE was too inexperienced, too incompetent, and ultimately utterly incapable of producing a functional port, Squad decided to part ways with FTE and hire Blitworks (a company with a much better portfolio and reputation) to fix everything.

When you hit a rich vein the first time you go looking for gold, you can be forgiven for thinking that prospecting is easy.

Squad was lucky with KSP, and in their naivete, chose FTE.

In hind-sight it was a bad decision, but bad decisions are how you gain experience, and experience is how you make good decisions. 

This is the sort of growing-pains you should expect with any indie developer.

Of course if T2E made that kind of novice mistake, then we should rightly take them to task for it as an experienced insider.  Compare it to a new player forgetting parachutes on the return portion of their first Mun mission, as opposed to Scott Manley making the same mistake. 

Don't know if anyone cares since we already have a release window, but here it is anyway...

The updated versions of KSP on consoles continue to undertake a vigorous quality assurance process. With each new build, the testers find fewer issues, and when they do, these are being quickly fixed by our friends at Blitworks. A noticeable issue fixed this week includes a bug that prevented testers from placing maneuver nodes in the map view while using one specific controller preset. Luckily, this one was detected and solved before these version saw the light of day, so you won’t have to worry about it.

On 11/11/2017 at 8:21 AM, Ineedaweapon said:

Don't know if anyone cares since we already have a release window, but here it is anyway...

Replaced with the indented bug that prevents placement at random regardless of controller set up?

cynicial? Moi?

Disclaimer - I haven't actually played KSP on console

There should definitely be keyboard and mouse support, and many of the best mods should be unpaid DLC. Things like KER, RCS Build Aid, Vessel Mover, and Kerbal X all available for free. Other mods should also be available for free, but that would be WAYYYYYY too much stuff for an Xbox/Play Station store to hold, let alone have reviewed so they'd be downloaded from the internet like mods are for PC.

Just my thoughts

53 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

Disclaimer - I haven't actually played KSP on console

There should definitely be keyboard and mouse support, and many of the best mods should be unpaid DLC. Things like KER, RCS Build Aid, Vessel Mover, and Kerbal X all available for free. Other mods should also be available for free, but that would be WAYYYYYY too much stuff for an Xbox/Play Station store to hold, let alone have reviewed so they'd be downloaded from the internet like mods are for PC.

Just my thoughts

In all honesty as a console player I wouldn’t mind if some version of these mods actual become some type of paid DLC as well as other things.(Such as more parts and planets).  It’s different than the modding community making mods for free as it’s a passion and hobby.  I’m more than willing to pay for additional content post release as it costs money for the devs to continue support to expand a game.  Sure free updates are always welcomed, but I’m a realist and understand not everything can always be free.(as long as pricing is appropriate). 

I also realize mods are possible on consoles but usually not likely.  I think it’s more of a hassle for the devs to set the console version up to work with mods (just look at the trouble they are having getting the vanilla game to run) than it would be for them to just continue to make new content themselves and charge for it.

More bugs squashed...

In other news, the updated version of KSP on consoles continues to see improvements and bug fixes as its QA phase continues. This week a couple of them were particularly noteworthy, as they could have turned into real nuisances if not fixed. The first one caused the loss of control of the craft, specifically on the Pitch, Roll and Yaw function, while Map View was active. And the second one caused the loss of stage and Navball functionality after selecting ‘Revert To Launch’ via the Cursor Mode after a crash landing - something that is bound to happen when playing KSP, so luckily it was found and fixed.

On 11/21/2017 at 4:45 AM, PrvDancer85 said:

Does anyone know if there is a threat were u can find some more info's about the console Version? How the New Controller mapping Layouts look Like,  things Like that

The changelog is the general changelog for the PC version

To the best of my knowledge they haven’t given any specifics on that info as of yet, just that those changes are coming.

Well blitworks are first class at porting every game they have ported on xbox has been a hit rebel galaxy. Don't starve. Star bound looks very good can't wait for it. And of course kerbal they probably had to start from scratch. But at least we know blitworks deliver. Better waiting and getting what should have been released. Than it being rushed again. By the way make sure the asteroids don't freeze the game cause that really annoyed me on the Xbox. Getting everything ready and once it's grabbed the game just freezes. :mad: