Development Update for Consoles!

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, LegendaryAce said:

We will be giving regular updates regarding the development of these new ports in KSP Weekly.

READ THE POST!!! They said they would keep up updated!

READ THE KSP WEEKLIES LIKE HE SAID! That's where the updates are!

1 hour ago, LegendaryAce said:

We did. There was nothing there. That's why we were irritated.

Categorically false. The consoles have been mentioned specifically in every weekly for the last few weeks at least, if not longer. Recall that "not as much information as I'd like" is not the same thing as "no information at all".

Also: Who is this "we" for whom you are speaking? 

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Also: Who is this "we" for whom you are speaking? 

'pluralis majestatis' He may be a Lord or King or something similar. Can happen.

@Red Iron Crown So a sentence saying "Our friends at Blitworks continue to do great work" and a few patch notes is being continually updated? You must be joking!

Take a look at Ace Combat 7. The Executive Producer of the game, Kazutoki Kono, personally sent out a memo to fans of his game telling them that Ace Combat 7 will have to be delayed to 2018 because they can't implement all the things they want to by the end of 2017, and then saying they'll release a lot more details at E3 2017, and released a whole lot of screenshots as compensation. That's how you update someone! So Squad could learn a lot from Project Aces.

And everyone on this forum who has complained! I would think as "Global Moderator", you would know who all agrees with me.

@Sirad And here's the superiority complex that all PC gamers have. So condescending. 

I personally think you guys hate us because we're complaining about something that you guys worship as the the be all end all, and you can't stand the fact that other people don't agree with you.

Like I said before, THIS SECTION OF THE FORUM IS FOR CONSOLE PLAYERS! If they want to express their distaste and irritation for a game that's so obviously broken, THAT'S THEIR RIGHT!

And don't pull any crap about the Terms and Conditions, because they say NOTHING about ranting.

Edited by LegendaryAce

24 minutes ago, LegendaryAce said:

So a sentence saying "Our friends at Blitworks continue to do great work" and a few patch notes is being continually updated? You must be joking!

I can agree with their irritation, especially since in the months before the switch to Blitworks the only updates where "Our friends at Flying Tiger Entertainment continue to do great work"....

1 minute ago, cfds said:

I can agree with their irritation, especially since in the months before the switch to Blitworks the only updates where "Our friends at Flying Tiger Entertainment continue to do great work"....

Thank you. Finally someone who can see our frustration with this product. It's hard to quantify just how upset we are at the game, and the fact that we can't be part of this community.

FROM THIS WEEK'S KSP WEEKLY!!!

"In other news, progress on KSP for Consoles continuesBlitworks keeps sending us new builds and consequently keeping our QA team busy. We even had to get new test-kits to help share the load in that regard. All in all, the builds are looking good and, slowly but surely, we’re getting close to our objective of delivering solid KSP versions to console players."

This is EXACTLY my point. We get nothing more than Blitworks this, console build that. No release date, no time-frame, not even a DAMN SCREENSHOT! And we're supposed to sit here and "wait patiently" for an update almost a YEAR in the making?! 

So how about this. After you guys get your 1.3 release, you get to wait until July 2018 for your next update. Sound good? No? Well, that's how console gamers feel they've been treated.

And don't even get me started on the fact that we're getting the last update, not the current one.

I can empathize with the frustrations that some of you guys feel about the console updates, really. But I would ask that this thread takes a moment to collect itself and not get into a shouting thread. 

Console game development isn't easy, porting is a tricky process. Frankly, I am surprised it got ported over at all. But there will understandably be some time to go from FTE to Blitworks because it's not like you can just download some .zip files and viola you have an updated port. And let's face it, KSP is not an optimal game for consoles, both in control and performance. So making it work for both the XBO and PS4 will be a challenge, whether you're a top-tier porting team or rookies. 

*It should be noted, I am primarily a console gamer. I have an Xbox One and that's my usual go-to for games. So don't think I am an elitist. 

8 minutes ago, TheKosmonaut said:

I can empathize with the frustrations that some of you guys feel about the console updates, really. But I would ask that this thread takes a moment to collect itself and not get into a shouting thread. 

Console game development isn't easy, porting is a tricky process. Frankly, I am surprised it got ported over at all. But there will understandably be some time to go from FTE to Blitworks because it's not like you can just download some .zip files and viola you have an updated port. And let's face it, KSP is not an optimal game for consoles, both in control and performance. So making it work for both the XBO and PS4 will be a challenge, whether you're a top-tier porting team or rookies. 

*It should be noted, I am primarily a console gamer. I have an Xbox One and that's my usual go-to for games. So don't think I am an elitist. 

I have no problem with what's going on. Seriously, I don't. But I don't need to constantly be told to wait over and over when that's what's been happening for 10 and a half months. It's now day 314, and I can obviously tell that "Early 2017" was a pipe dream.

But would it be just a little too much to ask for at least a timetable? If they said it'll be released within X number of months, I'd be fine. But there's none of that.

Or please, just upload some screenshots or give Scott Manley an early preview for us console gamers to get excited about. The Console fanbase WILL die if it's not released soon. 

I'm an Xbox One gamer, and I feel absolutely horrible for the PS4 players who've gotten absolutely no attention. We just need some assurance besides what I've previous said.

I can understand the desire for a timetable but it's not so simple, port-work isn't a hard-set pathway where there are definitive steps. Just look at the Console>PC ports, they can be absolutely hot garbage (Mortal Kombat was a big one recently) and those teams are *much* larger than what we would otherwise see for Squad/Blitworks/FTE. Giving a timetable will only lead to rushed work and more mistakes leading to more rushed work and even more mistakes. I am not sure if the under-development version of console KSP require dev-kits or not (I doubt it) but getting a pre-release version to someone is not always so easy either. It's hard on all sides. I suppose that's the crux of what I think of this; that is to say, there really is no black and white in any of this, Squad/FTE did not set out to deceive consumers with a shoddy port, nor do they intend to purposefully keep the console group in the dark. 

8 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

THIS SECTION OF THE FORUM IS FOR CONSOLE PLAYERS!

Besides, we (and i can say WE because we are Father and Son) own both versions (i the PC and he the PS4-&$§$)

I dont forbid anyone to ride the shooo-shooo train that i am not allowed to express my opinion about the Console version, but even if we dont had any version i AM allowed to express my Opinion.

Sooner or later anyone should allow himself to let that shooo-shooo come to a Station so far, or it derails. (Or gain pitiful smiles)

So i close my further replys to 'Them' (Lord or King), please go and assume something different to someone else. Im not in for that.

5 hours ago, TheKosmonaut said:

I can understand the desire for a timetable but it's not so simple, port-work isn't a hard-set pathway where there are definitive steps. Just look at the Console>PC ports, they can be absolutely hot garbage (Mortal Kombat was a big one recently) and those teams are *much* larger than what we would otherwise see for Squad/Blitworks/FTE. Giving a timetable will only lead to rushed work and more mistakes leading to more rushed work and even more mistakes. I am not sure if the under-development version of console KSP require dev-kits or not (I doubt it) but getting a pre-release version to someone is not always so easy either. It's hard on all sides. I suppose that's the crux of what I think of this; that is to say, there really is no black and white in any of this, Squad/FTE did not set out to deceive consumers with a shoddy port, nor do they intend to purposefully keep the console group in the dark. 

I agree. Besides, I think they are doing great with Ksp weekly

7 hours ago, TheKosmonaut said:

But there will understandably be some time to go from FTE to Blitworks because it's not like you can just download some .zip files and viola you have an updated port.

Peeps should understand its not an updated port.  Blitworks is re-porting the game from scratch and not using a single line of code from the FTE port. I think that fact is not as well known as it probably should be.  

Edited by klesh

I think we can all agree on this:

1) The console version is not up to the standard it should have been
2) Regardless of the reasons, the fix has taken a very long time
3) In light of the above, a lot of console users very upset, and justifiably so

Let's hope the next version will be considerably better than the first one. On that subject, I'm personally glad that they are making sure it's done properly before releasing it.

FROM THIS WEEK'S KSP WEEKLY!!!

"In other news, progress on KSP for Consoles continuesBlitworks keeps sending us new builds and consequently keeping our QA team busy. We even had to get new test-kits to help share the load in that regard. All in all, the builds are looking good and, slowly but surely, we’re getting close to our objective of delivering solid KSP versions to console players."

This is EXACTLY my point. We get nothing more than Blitworks this, console build that. No release date, no time-frame, not even a DAMN SCREENSHOT!

To be fair, SQUAD never released release dates until recently. They did say "early 2017" though, so I see your frustration.

And as for screenshots, tbh they wouldn't look very different from the PC version. And they did release a video of the new maneuver node tool a few weeks ago.

So how about this. After you guys get your 1.3 release, you get to wait until July 2018 for your next update. Sound good? No? Well, that's how console gamers feel they've been treated.

I'd willingly wait for a year or more for a quality update (emphasis on quality). Better to wait longer and get something good, than to quickly release a half-finished product (remember the 1.0 and 1.1 releases anyone?).

And don't even get me started on the fact that we're getting the last update, not the current one.

I think, unfortunately, console versions will always be of second priority compared to the PC versions. For the near future anyway.

But would it be just a little too much to ask for at least a timetable? If they said it'll be released within X number of months, I'd be fine.

Historically (with a very few exceptions), Squad hasn't given timetables for any update. However, I have a serious question. 

If they were to say 'we hope to release in 3 months', how would you feel if for whatever reason that didn't happen?  And they said 'oh, it'll be another 2 months', and then that gets pushed back again, and again. Would you be more upset about the constant changing of deadlines, or would you rather to be told 'we're working on it, it'll be ready when it's done'?  

Personally, I'd prefer the latter option. Better that than constantly getting hopes up just to be let down later. 

And make no mistake, no matter how clearly and politely Squad says "we're aiming for such-and-such time frame, but no promises", there will be those who read that as a commitment, and will then come on the forum and stir up as much resentment as possible because of the 'promise' that wasn't delivered. 

6 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

If they were to say 'we hope to release in 3 months', how would you feel if for whatever reason that didn't happen?  

I guess that's not a hard question to answer, you can basically read all about it here because of not making 'early 2017'...

Communication is getting better, you can really tell by the weekly's, It's noticeable, and probably not incidental that it got better since the announcement that SQUAD and FTE officially parted with eachother 5 weeks ago.
I can imagine that even those weekly's aren't really satisfying though after the long wait and no update on a probable releasedate.

I do feel that an communication update from SQUAD should be given since they didn't make early 2017, they can surely say something about it without backstabing or a probable new releasedate. A simple sorry we couldn't make it, we are working our ass off to get you guys fixed up.

That last bit can be read a bit in the weekly's, but the 'sorry guys, we didn't make it' is missing, and I think that would do a lot better then not saying anything about missing early 2017.

11 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

@Red Iron Crown So a sentence saying "Our friends at Blitworks continue to do great work" and a few patch notes is being continually updated? You must be joking!

You have described the update about consoles. So it is categorically false to say "There was nothing there" when you yourself admit that there is something there. Hyperbole does nothing to help you.

Take a look at Ace Combat 7. The Executive Producer of the game, Kazutoki Kono, personally sent out a memo to fans of his game telling them that Ace Combat 7 will have to be delayed to 2018 because they can't implement all the things they want to by the end of 2017, and then saying they'll release a lot more details at E3 2017, and released a whole lot of screenshots as compensation. That's how you update someone! So Squad could learn a lot from Project Aces.

This, at least, is useful and constructive feedback. Thank you for sharing it.

And everyone on this forum who has complained! I would think as "Global Moderator", you would know who all agrees with me.

I am aware that some people agree with you. I am unaware of them selecting you as their spokesperson.

@Sirad And here's the superiority complex that all PC gamers have. So condescending. 

I can only imagine what your response would be if someone generalized console gamers in the way you just generalized PC gamers.

I personally think you guys hate us because we're complaining about something that you guys worship as the the be all end all, and you can't stand the fact that other people don't agree with you.

If you think PC players don't complain about the game, its development, and the developers then allow me to say "Welcome to the forum, you must be new here!"

Like I said before, THIS SECTION OF THE FORUM IS FOR CONSOLE PLAYERS! If they want to express their distaste and irritation for a game that's so obviously broken, THAT'S THEIR RIGHT!

The forum is for everybody. Just as it is your right to express your distaste and irritation, other community members have the right to express their disagreement with you. That's how discussion forums work.

And don't pull any crap about the Terms and Conditions, because they say NOTHING about ranting.

You can rant as much as you like (as long as it stays within the forum rules). However, you can expect people to respond in kind when they disagree with you. Your freedom to speak here does not trump anyone else's just because you are upset.

10 hours ago, TheKosmonaut said:

I can understand the desire for a timetable but it's not so simple, port-work isn't a hard-set pathway where there are definitive steps. (..) Squad/FTE did not set out to deceive consumers with a shoddy port, nor do they intend to purposefully keep the console group in the dark. 

The complication is that, yes, this might take a lot of time to get it done right, and wanting it now is justifiably unreasonable. But, but, but... SQUAD already took the money from those players!!

That changes a lot, as players might have decided to forego on (legal) action based on the promise that something will be there early 2017. Without a refund it is totally understandable that console players have an "unreasonable" lack of patience.

And while Squad may not have desired a shoddy port, about everyone had question marks about the choice of FTE, either from (personal) experience or Googling them. It is true that Squad had little control over the work delivered by FTE but they were the ones who picked them and one cannot help but think "told you so."

Could a moderator please answer these questions:

Within the first week or two of playing KSP I noticed game breaking bugs, like multiple corrupted saves and unresponsiveness along with crashes and other things. I fully understand that porting and game development is not easy at all, but anyone who actually played it on console could clearly tell that it is an unfinished product and a broken game, so why did they even release it for console in the state it was in? You only need to play it for a few hours to see that it's worse than an alpha beta. So my first question is this: did they even test it at all? And if so, how is it possible to miss all those bugs? Because that seems to be completely impossible to miss. It looks like they purposely released a broken game and planned on fixing it later as a quick cash grab. And as a result, here I am, still waiting almost a year later with the only information being "we're working on it" and only one single article dedicated to it that was created almost half a year ago.

And for my second question: Why not just release updates one after another like most games rather than trying to fix everything all at once in a single update? And don't give me that bs about the very long process of getting Sony or Microsoft to let you release updates, because for many games I've seen updates released rapidly, and you've had almost a year.

My final question: Will there be any compensation? I payed for a working finished product, but was ripped off. Instead of getting a working finished product, I got a game that is more unstable than all the betas I've tested. And don't say that the free update is compensation enough.

Lastly, I want to say that I am fully aware that new games have glitches, but this is just beyond ridiculous. Not to mention the absence of a single update. On top of that, I'm feeling like we're (console gamers) being ignored. It seems more than obvious that you care more about your PC fan base than your console fan base. I mean look at all the announcements for the updates that are coming to PC and won't be coming to console for months, or a year after if at all. I guess you could say that I'm more than jealous. We're feeling left out.

3 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

No. We aren't privy to the development process, we just help out on the forum.

Then could you please get a developer or someone with the answers to answer my questions? All console gamers want an answer to at least one of my questions.

6 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

Then could you please get a developer or someone with the answers to answer my questions? All console gamers want an answer to at least one of my questions.

No. They aren't beholden to us, and they are well aware of these questions as they have been asked many times.

33 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

No. They aren't beholden to us, and they are well aware of these questions as they have been asked many times.

Then why no answer? Silence is the absolute worst answer you can give to your fans.