UomoCapra

Development Update for Consoles!

612 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ineedaweapon said:

Yeah this threw me a little bit.  A while back they were talking about it being in the final stages, now theyre saying theyre still working on the controls?  Perhaps theyre making it in reverse?

When I read it I assumed that it meant that the QA team had a few small suggestions about how to tweak them slightly, not that they were starting over.

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

When I read it I assumed that it meant that the QA team had a few small suggestions about how to tweak them slightly, not that they were starting over.

If memory is correct, this is the 4th(?) time they've supposedly "changed the control scheme". 

Here's an idea. Play Birds of Steel, look at its player customizable control scheme, and implement THAT in KSP! Maybe let players CHOOSE their own controls!?

2 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

Here's an idea. Play Birds of Steel, look at its player customizable control scheme, and implement THAT in KSP! Maybe let players CHOOSE their own controls!?

While I am absolutely in support of customizable controls, and may even look down upon games with static controls, defaults are important. They determine how the bulk of your players will experience the game, and how nearly every player will experience it for the first time.This applies to the difficulty options as well, which conveniently possess a number of defaults.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

While I am absolutely in support of customizable controls, and may even look down upon games with static controls, defaults are important. They determine how the bulk of your players will experience the game, and how nearly every player will experience it for the first time.This applies to the difficulty options as well, which conveniently possess a number of defaults.

Well, then here's an idea. You can program two separate default control schemes for rockets and planes.

Use Ace Combat's control scheme for default in atmosphere craft (jets and spaceplanes). (I use Ace Combat since I doubt very many console gamers have played IL-2 Sturmovik, Birds of Steel, or any others)

RT/LT - Throttle Up/Throttle Down 

RB/LB - Yaw Right/Yaw Left 

Left Stick - Pitch/Roll 

Easy, right?

As for rockets? Use the same default control scheme that we're used to.

EDIT: Here's a question for the devs that hopefully I can get an answer for. 

I've already mastered making VTOL fighters and Jumpjets (Harriers, F-35B's, Yakovlev Yak-141, etc.), so I would like to know if it's possible to implement the necessary propulsion systems to make helicopters.

Edited by LegendaryAce

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, LegendaryAce said:

EDIT: Here's a question for the devs that hopefully I can get an answer for. 

I've already mastered making VTOL fighters and Jumpjets (Harriers, F-35B's, Yakovlev Yak-141, etc.), so I would like to know if it's possible to implement the necessary propulsion systems to make helicopters.

The console version will get the same parts as the pc version. There are no stock helicopter rotors but people have made heli's without them (https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-Azi15-Archon-II-v10https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-Azi14-Asura-v12)

Edited by TheRagingIrishman
2 people like this

10 hours ago, Deddly said:

Sounds to me like they are in the fine-tuning stage rather than planning the controls from scratch. 

Yeah, you're probably right, it's just hard to be optimistic sometimes when the further you travel down the road, the longer the road seems to get.

3 people like this

On 12/08/2017 at 10:16 PM, Deddly said:

Sounds to me like they are in the fine-tuning stage rather than planning the controls from scratch. 

Yeah! They used the word "refining" so I'd assume some problems arose from the controls that needed tweaking.

On 12/08/2017 at 0:26 AM, OrganizedChaos said:

I'd settle for a solid date it won't be released by.  I mean if they know it won't be ready before November, then let us know. Then when they get closer to November and it still looks a few months off update it and say it won't be out before January and so on.  At least then we wouldn't be sitting in limbo waiting on a weekly update.

Short leash my friend, need to keep us hooked

On 8/13/2017 at 4:07 AM, Ineedaweapon said:

Yeah, you're probably right, it's just hard to be optimistic sometimes when the further you travel down the road, the longer the road seems to get.

Its hard, but, the longer the journey, better the reward.

12 hours ago, AmericanxxVenom said:

Its hard, but, the longer the journey, better the reward.

Last time the journey was long, but the reward was rotten.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Kerbuvim said:

Last time the journey was long, but the reward was rotten.

Yeah you're right, but gotta keep wishing. I just hope it comes before I ship out. Anyway, I just hope they keep as much attention as possible to Console. As long they aren't distracted, the update should be soon. Lets hope for a "Its been sent to Microsoft" next weekly.

1 person likes this

I think squad should do releases like i do mine: 

rapid, one after another fixing bugz as they come up! :D

Edited by Benjamin Kerman
Course, i dont recommend doing it this way...

Weekly report...

In other news the testing of bugs and fixing them for the updated version of KSP on the consoles continues. Some of this week’s fixes include: Problems with buttons persisting onscreen; stick controls not working as intended; and saving a game at the flight report after a crash would place the player at a random ship when the game was reloaded .The latter was particularly tricky because it was a core bug in the game, which hadn’t been noticed before. Luckily these were identified, confirmed and fixed, so you will not have to worry about them in the future.

3 people like this