Development Update for Consoles!

UomoCapra

Another week goes by...

The QA team has also been busy testing the revised Control Schemes on consoles. As previously mentioned, we now have presets, and these need to be thoroughly checked and verified individually. As with any change, some bugs have been introduced, so the team is reporting those, as well as giving constant feedback on the new design. Additionally some other bugs have been addressed. A couple of examples include a bug that caused engine particles for the CR-7 RAPIER engine to disappear, and similarly one where aero and thermal effects disappeared when zooming out.

On 09/01/2017 at 11:30 PM, LegendaryAce said:

Yeah, I know, I know. It's just the lack of any update towards ANY kind of time frame. The least they could do is say before 2018. That way I won't be debating on whether to permanently shelve KSP or not.

(I apologize for my mood. This week has not been nice.)

I will be amazed if its released this year. Play something else for a while, a game that works.

8 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

I will be amazed if its released this year. Play something else for a while, a game that works.

I have. I've been playing Battlefield 4 and completing the DLC assignments. Thankfully it's been keeping me quite busy.

16 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Some posts have been removed from this thread because they were rude to console owners. That attitude is not welcome on this forum. We're all KSP players here, no matter which platform we use. 

Agreed. I make a point to not start things on the PC forums. Let's keep things nice.

On 9/9/2017 at 3:47 PM, LegendaryAce said:

I have. I've been playing Battlefield 4 and completing the DLC assignments. Thankfully it's been keeping me quite busy.

Yeah fellow battlefield 4 lover! I have also gone back to complete a bunch of assignments that I had not done. There is so much to unlock in BF4 it's insane.

2 hours ago, NoahThomas29 said:

Yeah fellow battlefield 4 lover! I have also gone back to complete a bunch of assignments that I had not done. There is so much to unlock in BF4 it's insane.

Oh yeah! I agree completely. Battlefield FTW!

That's so true. Just today I unlocked the M60E4, the DEagle 44, and the AA Mine. I've already unlocked everything for ALL the vehicles except the IFV's, but there's SO much I still need to get. So I'll be busy for a good long time.

(EDIT: Are you on PS4 or Xbox One? I myself am on Xbox One. If you want, my GT is LegendaryAce 73.)

Edited by LegendaryAce

I wonder if they'll wait for MS to enable keyboard and mouse before releasing. It's looking fairly certain that mouse and Keyboard is coming to Xbox in the very near future and would solve a lot of usability issues.

I come back to the console version of KSP now and then and I just struggle with the controls. Even if all the bugs were fixed, I doubt it would be very playable on a controller unless significant changes were made to the UI and usability in general. I'd love to see some extended interface using Xbox Smartglass, but that's not very likely.

1 hour ago, ruairiau said:

I wonder if they'll wait for MS to enable keyboard and mouse before releasing. It's looking fairly certain that mouse and Keyboard is coming to Xbox in the very near future and would solve a lot of usability issues.

I come back to the console version of KSP now and then and I just struggle with the controls. Even if all the bugs were fixed, I doubt it would be very playable on a controller unless significant changes were made to the UI and usability in general. I'd love to see some extended interface using Xbox Smartglass, but that's not very likely.

Why bother with trying to turn the Xbox into a PC, when Squad could make it so that current chatpad controller accessories would open up that option?

5 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

Oh yeah! I agree completely. Battlefield FTW!

That's so true. Just today I unlocked the M60E4, the DEagle 44, and the AA Mine. I've already unlocked everything for ALL the vehicles except the IFV's, but there's SO much I still need to get. So I'll be busy for a good long time.

(EDIT: Are you on PS4 or Xbox One? I myself am on Xbox One. If you want, my GT is LegendaryAce 73.)

I'm on PS4.

It's that time again...

In other news, Blitworks continue to provide regular updates for the console platform. They’ve been working hard on the implementation of the new controller mapping pre-sets. Testing and reporting on the new control methods as they are fleshed out is going to be a significant task for the QA team in the following weeks. Furthermore, in the latest build that came out, various issues with flight input, trim and autopilot were fixed, as well as a bug that made the ‘Cursor Mode’ unavailable when viewing the KSPedia while inside the Vehicle Assembly Building or Space-plane Hangar. It’s important to note that as this version is being built from the ground up, some of the bugs we have been talking about are completely new and some others that were quite notorious in the previous version are not even present anymore.

Testing and reporting on the new control methods as they are fleshed out is going to be a significant task for the QA team in the following weeks.

Don't hold your breath for September guys.

And another week sails by...

I'm personally gonna guess late December-early March.

EDIT: I noticed that on the Weekly posts, perhaps 1-3% of all people that read it even notice the console parts in it. And only about 5% of those people even know the plight we're undergoing. It's really annoying to see so much in the PC version, and literally nothing for consoles in over a year.

Edited by LegendaryAce

10 hours ago, OrganizedChaos said:

Yeah, I noticed that too.  Well here's hoping maybe sometime before the end of October, but that's probably being way overly optimistic.:(

October would be nice, but I'm starting to think even November would be optimistic.  Perhaps if we're lucky we'll get it before xmas.

I appreciate the fact that they actually made a reference to time in this post.  I wish they did that quite a while back and more often.

Then they made a point to say this version is being built from the ground up.(though we figured that was the case on our own). Which leads me to ask what their initial intentions were when they gave the early part of the year time frame.  Shirley they didn't believe that they could hit that target if they were starting from the ground up.  So in all likely hood there was a change in plans there somewhere, and they decided to wipe the slate clean and start fresh.  I really wish they had come clean with us back then and just told us that and that it was going to take another year.

It is just concerning that we are this far into them working on it and we still have no idea when it will even be close to done. They make the weekly update sound positive, but with every passing week the longer it takes the more likely it seems they'll never get it to where they want it.  I'm not mad in anyway at this point, just worried it may never get resolved.

Edited by OrganizedChaos

On 9/15/2017 at 3:35 PM, Ineedaweapon said:

Testing and reporting on the new control methods as they are fleshed out is going to be a significant task for the QA team in the following weeks.

Don't hold out hope for October either. 

At some point in time, the game is gonna have to be at a point where they can release it, since we all know they won't eliminate every bug.

Truthfully, I'd rather it be released next week. I'd be more than happy to experience these (relatively) mellow graphical and UI related bugs. I don't care about missing engine particles, cursor glitches, and menu issues, as long as my saved games don't get deleted. 

I've played more than a few games that are WIP, and they're great fun. One of my favorite mobile games that's a WIP, Alliance: Air War, doesn't even have moving control surfaces on the aircraft. But the devs push out updates every few weeks, so we're not left waiting for years on end.

4 hours ago, OrganizedChaos said:

Which leads me to ask what their initial intentions were when they gave the early part of the year time frame.  Shirley they didn't believe that they could hit that target if they were starting from the ground up. 

My theory is they didn't expect this original post to go up until January 2017. So the "early next year" means early 2018.

And don't call me Shirley.

29 minutes ago, maceemiller said:

Im a PC player of KSP but I do read this console thread. I have to admit if your playing on a console your not playing KSP......and for that I feel sorry for you....

That is a load of crap. Last time I check KSP was the same game on pc and consoles. The only difference is what your using to control the game.

The controls for KSP on console were not that great, but it was good enough for me to still enjoy the game. Until the game started crashing and deleting my save of course.

1 hour ago, maceemiller said:

Im a PC player of KSP but I do read this console thread. I have to admit if your playing on a console your not playing KSP......and for that I feel sorry for you....

Well, thank you for your support and condolences. It's nice that not everyone is oblivious to our plight.

1 hour ago, NoahThomas29 said:

That is a load of crap. Last time I check KSP was the same game on pc and consoles. The only difference is what your using to control the game.

The controls for KSP on console were not that great, but it was good enough for me to still enjoy the game. Until the game started crashing and deleting my save of course.

Thankyou for your reply to my comment. My understanding from reading many, many posts regarding the console version is that it is not as playable in its current state as the PC version, hence I believe people are not playing KSP the way they should be.....that is, I feel, "crap"......

2 hours ago, NoahThomas29 said:

You must not be playing the same KSP that I am. PC is on 1.3, whereas consoles don't even have 1.1. So "consoles and PC being the same game" is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard.