The Kerbal Dakar 2017 entry vehicles thread

Triop

Ok guys, my challenge thread is being spammed by pictures of car/plane/hovercraft entrys (cars most by me ^_^) that I have decided to put all our junk here.

If you have a design and want to show or discuss it, do it here.

LYykoBF.png

12 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Well, I'm probably just going to have to raise the ride height, but @Draconiator's Etherium Car is going to come to the challenge!!!

Here's my adaptation of his car. Mine is the AS-1A (don't mind the front wing damage; I just finished some testing when I took these on my phone)

Goodluck, you have untill January 1st to tune it to perfection. ^_^

More changes and upgrades, I might overtune this (as always) <_<

CM1147J.png

1 minute ago, Draconiator said:

Question, do I have to angle the front wing a bit?  if so which way?

I used that I-Beam thing in structural and plopped it onto an adjustable Ramp Air Intake (Angled at *about* 30-45 degrees down.). Then I got 2 Elevon 4's and extended them so that they went up. Removed pitch yaw and roll; Authority Limit: 45 degrees.

Action group 1 retracts the front and rear wings, which is known as DRS. Brakes action group re-extends them.

5 minutes ago, Triop said:

Goodluck, you have untill January 1st to tune it to perfection. ^_^

I'll probably have it done by the end of the day lol

1 minute ago, DoctorDavinci said:

@DarkOwl57 - Instead of using your phone why not use the F1 key to take a screenshot ... You will find the images taken this way in the screenshots folder in your KSP directory

When you want to take a picture just press the F1 key on your keyboard

I would do that, but I didn't want to deal with the headache of dealing with the folders.

7 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I would do that, but I didn't want to deal with the headache of dealing with the folders.

To be honest, if you will not take the time to show us your creation proper, why would we look at it ?

I'm torn. I have 4 rovers ranging from good to excellent at Kerbin cross-country, and I would drive them all but I'm sure I wouldn't have time to make 4 different runs. Help me decide:

G7R9VfG.jpg

From left to right

"Slider" fast as it looks. Maintains 125 on the rollers, climbed the central mountain pass at 90. Tops out around 170 if I use active wings. Enough fuel for maybe 5 stages, so refuel likely. 

"FrogStomp" new mod rover body I'm prototyping. Slowest of the bunch at 32/45 depending on 2wd or 4wd. But definitely fun to drive. It's all smiles. (I'll release it soon, so everybody can have one if they want). Enough fuel for whole thing if I stay 2wd. 4 stages in 4wd. 

"Un-named". The one I showed partially in the other thread. Great all-arounder, enough fuel for the whole thing, but not as stable as I'd like when the tires are suddenly reintroduced to Kerbin at 40m/s. Short of jet power, I'd put this against any other rover, but it lacks a bit in the fun to drive category. 

"Clydesdale" with very few parts (comparatively) it managed to be tougher than all the rest. And fast. And stable during the aforementioned Tire-Kerbin reunions. If we were racing to the North Pole, and couldn't use jets, I'd chose it. Very reliable. But it lumbers a bit, and tends to slide when side-hilling. You know, like off-camber climbing and stuff. 

Anyways, opinions?

Edit: I suppose it's important to say, I'm not overly concerned with being the fastest, or anything. Just in it for the doing :)  

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

Just now, DarkOwl57 said:

My #1 wheels to go with are the wheels that @Draconiator and @Triop are using; They're fast, and they take one heck of a beating.

Downsides:

1) Low ride height.

2) I don't know why, but I feel like it has a tad less steering range as the M1's.

Pros:

1) THEY'RE SO FAST!!!!!

2) Again, durable as a rock.

Looking at the specs, both types have the same maximum steering angle. Could be that the steering velocity curve is different though.

11 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

4 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

That thing is terrifyingly fast

1) My words exactly.

2) That is one heck of a roll cage.

3) What exactly broke? (I'm planning to be an engineer and step 1 of reviewing a failure is "What went wrong, and how can we keep it from happening again?"

15 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Roll cage survived :D

It does and usually the kerbal survives also (mostly)  isn't it glorious,  is that my mk 3  or the original?(can't remember if i shared already)  if original do you wanna try the mk3? (fully sorted and wider longer and more bouncy)

9FMSIAx.png?1

2 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

3) What exactly broke? (I'm planning to be an engineer and step 1 of reviewing a failure is "What went wrong, and how can we keep it from happening again?"

Usually a wheel with that crash profile, when they let go they just are gone, and the flaming snowplow effect follows  :)

I fovor stacked wheels for exactly this reason, expecting not to have wheel trouble in 30km is not very zen and invites disaster, the below has ten wheels visible :) and they've all made it through 3 stages intact, not so much the other parts as it's a stocky modded craft it's not wildly OP i know i lump a juno on the back and lots more fuel and go like stink, but i have doubts that going flat out for all the stages will make for a complete single attempt, and while you're restarting I hope to be trundling onward

8NS3UKe.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
cool stuff :)

9 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

That thing is terrifyingly fast

Yup :cool:

3 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

1) My words exactly.

2) That is one heck of a roll cage.

The angle of the ground when I landed the last jump caused the right front wheel to go kablooey ... I should have been a little more careful :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

It does and usually the kerbal survives also (mostly)  isn't it glorious,  is that my mk 3  or the original?(can't remember if i shared already)  if original do you wanna try the mk3? (fully sorted and wider longer and more bouncy)

I used the small cage, Mk2 I believe ... Bill's Big Bad Beaver is a mean machine

Top speed: 143 m/s - 514 km/h (going up a hill)

28 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Usually a wheel with that crash profile, when they let go they just are gone, and the flaming snowplow effect follows  :)

Ah. Well when I do this challenge, I think I'll be super careful on the jumps. :wink: After all; if you aren't in a crash, you aren't finishing last.

30 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I fovor stacked wheels for exactly this reason, 

Ah. I really like stacked wheels, but I'm coming from an era (1.1.3) That taught me that if there're 2 wheels intersecting, your plans go bye-bye.

31 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

expecting not to have wheel trouble in 30km is not very zen and invites disaster, the below has ten wheels visible :)

TEN WHEELS?!?!?!?

oh, and ooohhhhmmmmmmm..... *meditating*

32 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I fovor stacked wheels for exactly this reason, expecting not to have wheel trouble in 30km is not very zen and invites disaster, the below has ten wheels visible :) and they've all made it through 3 stages intact,

Nice job! If only I will be able to do this well...

2 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Nope, going up a hill .... watch the video ... on the hill that leads up to the first jump in my video I hit 143 m/s :cool:

If it hit 143 uphill, I'm scared at what it's going to hit going down :0.0:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.