The Kerbal Dakar 2017 entry vehicles thread

Triop

2 hours ago, Overland said:

She survived Stage 2 nicely ) Thanks

Waiting to see how she does with stage 3, looks a bit tame in comparison to 2.. ive taken this route before in early landliner trains on the elcano route

Not sure 45 degree decents count as being tame. Stage 2 and 3 are the worst but stage 4 can take you by surprise

Edited by mrmcp1

13 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

Not sure 45 degree decents count as being tame. Stage 2 and 3 are the worst but stage 4 can take you by surprise

there were a few horrible moments In 2 :) where I just had to push the throttle forward and hope the trains engineering design held up. she did. but it could have gone either way especially if I'm not using a steering wheel with fine adjustments. still. even with over 2 years of land train experience.. its been a challenge.. in the past on these kind of steep drops and climbs ive had the benefit of 2 locomotives with sanders (RCS) pushing down for traction, 705 has no such thing.. her stability depends on aero speed.. ive made the full video of stage 2 if youd like to see in the results thread :)

Edited by Overland

My Dakar Lorry is still going strong. Well, not that strong. To be frank, it's pretty horrible. I spent most of my afternoon on stages two and three, and I still haven't passed the latter. So far, the highest speed I've achieved was 29.7 m/s down a very steep hill, and I lost part of the bonnet immediately after. I also fear that I may not have enough fuel to finish it, I lost two out of twelve Oscar B tanks somewhere along the way. Finishing the rally might not be possible without quicksaving in the middle of stages. :(

Spoiler

iyd8Ysk.png
HRMWeVU.png

20 hours ago, WesleyWestland said:

Good news! I won't need as much fuel now I shed some weight. I also lost some lights, so I won't need as much electricity either. Maybe rolling isn't that bad after all.

That's the attitude, :) As long as you've wheels and power to turn them, keep going,  My first run finished with anything that had been mounted externally missing, and just enough juice to make it to the line

I've done several runs just for fun after putting up my time, and the most fun I had was a run with the Dead Bug where I lost one of the rear wheels and ended up limping it to the end of Stage 4, dragging the back left corner the whole way.

Sometimes it's more fun to complete a stage missing parts than it is to complete the whole event in one piece.  It's the additional challenge to get to that stage that makes it more fun.

Bill, Bob and the Dakar Lorry finally made it! It took them 5 hours, 9 minutes and 22 seconds, the official slowest time of Kerbal Dakar 2017! I ended up losing five more Oscar B tanks, so I had to disable four of the drivewheels and most of the remaining lights to reduce their electric power consumption, and I ended up making it with only 16 litres of fuel to spare. I hope it's enough to drive home to the Space Centre, if not it'll turn into a Kerbal Marathon as well... :wink:

SgSffx4.png

8 minutes ago, WesleyWestland said:

Bill, Bob and the Dakar Lorry finally made it! It took them 5 hours, 9 minutes and 22 seconds, the official slowest time of Kerbal Dakar 2017!

Well, my combined time (so far) is about.... I think 40 minutes? And I'm only at stage 3! (I've had a busy schedule; I plan to finish either this weekend or next depending on how well the car fares with the damage (rolled and lost my rear aerodynamic pieces as well as some solar panels), as well as the fact that I'm going to have to do the rest in the middle of the flipping NIGHT!!! THANKS PLANNERS!)

Just wait; Some people *cough* ME! *cough* will have a worse finish time than you :wink:

13 minutes ago, ChaoticPheonix said:

Phoenix Aerospace's late entry into the rally. The team will be under way in moments.

Sjjx01J.jpg

ohhhh I think that the D-1 Bug's going to have a good shot at a competition with this thing :wink: Can't wait to see our respective times

2 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Sounds like a different terrain detail setting may be necessary. 

Well one thing that @SpannerMonkey(smce) suggested was going to the Tracking Station and selecting "Fly" on every flag. It pops them back out of the ground and you can go on and explode, crash and burn drive to your hearts content

Alright, before I flip my table. I reached finished stage five and went to the Space Center, came back and my MET was reset. Doesn't effect my times persay, but I just wanna ask and make sure my entry is still acceptable considering it goes from the MET being at 4 hours and something to a minute.

Apologies for the double post.

Edited by ChaoticPheonix

17 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Well one thing that @SpannerMonkey(smce) suggested was going to the Tracking Station and selecting "Fly" on every flag. It pops them back out of the ground and you can go on and explode, crash and burn drive to your hearts content

19 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Sounds like a different terrain detail setting may be necessary. 

Tried changing terrain detail and the problem was fixed. Thanks guys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.