The Kerbal Dakar 2017 entry vehicles thread

Triop

13 hours ago, SasquatchM said:

mprjpyV.png

It uses fuel cells to recharge the batteries, but the only motive force is from the wheels.  It is capable of self-righting from roll-overs and shrugs off collision at less than 40 m/s.  Ill try running one of the legs this weekend.

NOTE: I may (or may not) Use this design :wink:

10 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Might ruin the aesthetic, but what about using a bunch of the smallest plane landing gear (the little caster one), and turning their friction way down?

Might be a good idea, will give it a try

18 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Meh, I just made Stig Kerman and Shelby Kerman to be my pilot and engineer for Dakar.

*Top Gear theme*

15 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

1bICUMM.png

I can just imagine the conversation:

"I told you that the springs were too stiff; But NOOOOOO you just had to convince Bill that stiff springs would give greater response..."

4 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Might ruin the aesthetic, but what about using a bunch of the smallest plane landing gear (the little caster one), and turning their friction way down?

Hmm :/, should i or shouldn't i.

Nbdq05Y.png

Yep, that's what you call a real hovercraft :cool:.

With some careful driving, it could very well do it. It's stable, easy to drive and has a top speed of over 80 m/s on land. The only real problem it has, is it's tendency of wanting to takeoff and land on its back everytime a hill ends and i go too fast.

Anyway, here's my actual submission for this challenge. Our engineers call it, the "KRT-011", but i call it the Tornado.

There are some tweaks that need to be done to it still. It too has the tendency of taking-off and landing on it's back if it jumps too high too fast . I would also like to improve it's top speed of 60 m/s.

I might also be able to tweak the suspension a tiny bit more to improve reliability.

ufqLpxE.png

(no, it is not flying, it's just jumping in style :cool:).

I'm basically aiming for a "fire and forget" style racing truck where i can just put full thrust and leave it there, unless there's a huge drop of course :wink:.

Cause speed means nothing if it's not consistent.

One thing it also needs, is a refueling method.

So i have to ask, @Triop does it matter how we do our refuelling. (I'm planning on carrying a refueling thingy to the field using a cargo chopper of some sorts).

And, is it fine to refuel our trucks/rovers between stages. (feels like the perfect stop off point for some coffee and petrol).

7 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

It's an LCAC!

Refueling: personally, I've set up refuel stations at each flag. In the other thread, it was said that refueling was cool. 

Indeed it is. It has always been one of my favorite navy vessels.

Nice. Off to make a refueling chopper then.

10 hours ago, mrmcp1 said:

Finished my rally hovercraft

yywc3k5.png

It is a bit slow and is likely to explode 

Is it ok to replace parts at the end of each stage?

Yes, but if it can not be fixed you may not replace it and you will have to start all over with stage 1 and the previous times will not be valid.

1 hour ago, kapteenipirk said:

ufqLpxE.png

One thing it also needs, is a refueling method.

So i have to ask, @Triop does it matter how we do our refuelling. (I'm planning on carrying a refueling thingy to the field using a cargo chopper of some sorts).

And, is it fine to refuel our trucks/rovers between stages. (feels like the perfect stop off point for some coffee and petrol).

Nice truck !

you can take a whole team with you if you like, for example you could drive/fly a fueltruck/plane anywhere to assist you before you start your stage.

And if you break down during a stage you can also send a repair crew.

Edited by Triop

10 minutes ago, Triop said:

Nice truck !

you can take a whole team with you if you like, for example you could drive/fly a fueltruck/plane anywhere to assist you before you start your stage.

And if you break down during a stage you can also send a repair crew.

Good to know.

So I think that there needs to be a clarification in regards to using boost flaps to block the thrust of Juno's

You can use elevons to block the thrust of a Juno but they will not block the particles or 'smoke' coming from them ... this means anyone using @Azimech's boost flap tech will always have smoke trails coming from the back of their craft while at max throttle, even when the flaps are closed and blocking the thrust

Juno's are the only engine that you can do this with effectively and it allows you to keep your engines running at full tilt to avoid the dreaded spool up time while blocking the thrust when the flaps are closed

See the following thread for more information:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

I FINISHED STAGE 2, Stage 3 is the one I ran out of power on...and I finished 3/4 of it.  so I'm sorta familliar with it.

Stage 3 start flag

05000f1505749f304e441166177d33d2.png

and I have no clue how I survived this.

And as far as I can see, I only need to make one more change to the car.  swap those huge solar panels for something else so Val can get out lol

This looks like fun! I think I'll partake.

I miss the old Bobcat HOME mod. It had at one time a Motorcycle. It was totally awesome. It would rule this challenge....

...but alas it's a dead mod, so I'll design something.

10 minutes ago, GDJ said:

This looks like fun! I think I'll partake.

I miss the old Bobcat HOME mod. It had at one time a Motorcycle. It was totally awesome. It would rule this challenge....

...but alas it's a dead mod, so I'll design something.

Definitely get in on this buddy ... It's a whole hell of a lot of fun

And a motorcycle you say ... hmmm, might be possible in a stock entry

Imma gonna investigate this :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.