[1.2.2] Real Solar System Visual Enhancements v1.2.2-RC4 [2017-09-03]

Phineas Freak

RSSVE_banner.png

KSP%20Version-1.2.2.1622-red.svg     License-CC--BY--NC--SA%204.0-green.svg

About

Real Solar System Visual Enhancements (RSSVE) is an add-on for the Environmental Visual Enhancements (EVE), providing clouds and other visual improvements for the Real Solar System (RSS) mod.

I was inspired both by the Real Visual Enhancements (RVE) and the Stock Size Real Solar System (SSRSS) mods. Unfortunately, neither of these mods worked correctly for RSS out-of-the-box: RVE was outdated, requiring updating to work and the smaller scale of the SSRSS bodies meant that it was not possible to use it’s assets as-is. So, RSSVE was born.

RSSVE is compatible with Kerbal Space Program version 1.2.2. Older or newer versions are not supported. The use of the 32 bit (x86) binaries is also not supported due to RAM limitations.

Note the other EVE or Scatterer planet packs are not currently compatible with RSSVE. Scatterer sun flare packs however are.

I would like to thank the following members of the community for making RSSVE possible:

• @NathanKell for his amazing work on Real Solar System.
  • @Galileo, @pingopete and @sDaZe for inspiring, motivating and helping me to make RSSVE (although my work is nowhere near as good as their excellent RVE and SSRSS mods).
  • @rbray89 and @Waz for creating and supporting Environmental Visual Enhancements.
  • @blackrack for redefining the KSP visual standards with Scatterer.

Installation

I. CKAN installation

Installation of RSSVE via CKAN is not currently supported.

II. Manual installation

1. Assuming that you already have installed Real Solar System; download and install the latest stable versions of the following required mods according to the mod version list:

Note: Depending on the KSP version installed, the following versions of the required mods must be used:

Spoiler
KSP Version RSSVE Version EVE Version Kopernicus Version Module Manager Version Scatterer Version
1.1.3 N/A (use the RC4 release) (note 1) 1.1-3 1.1.3-1 2.6.25 0.0255
1.2.2 1.2.2-RC1 / 1.2.2-RC4 1.2.2-1 1.2.2-11 2.7.6 0.0300
1.3.0 N/A (use the RC4 release) (note 2) 1.2.2-1 1.3.0-6 2.8.1 0.0320b
1.3.1 N/A (use the RC4 release) (note 3) 1.2.2-1 1.3.1-3 3.0.1 0.0320b

NOTES:

• Note 1: Download and use the KSP 1.1.3 RSSVE assembly linked (replace the existing one)
  • Note 2: Download and use the KSP 1.3.0 RSSVE assembly linked (replace the existing one)
  • Note 3: Use the KSP 1.3.1 development branch.

Optional (but recommended) mods for RSSVE include:

2. Download the latest stable version of Real Solar System Visual Enhancements for your respective KSP version (as described in the above table) and uncompress the zip file. Then, copy or move the resulting "RSSVE" folder inside your GameData folder. The final installation tree should look like this:

• GameData/
    • ModuleManager.X.Y.Z.dll
    • EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
    • Kopernicus
    • ModularFlightIntegrator
    • RealSolarSystem
    • RSS-Textures
    • RSSVE
    • Scatterer
    • Squad

If you are upgrading then it is necessary to completely remove any previous versions of RSSVE that you have installed.

3. Congratulations, you have installed RSSVE! Launch KSP and enjoy your new visuals.

A note for the DirectX 11 and OpenGL users: if you are affected by the "featureless sphere" problem then you will also need to enable the alternate Scatterer renderer settings. These can be enabled by:

• Opening the "RSSVE_Scatterer_PlanetFix_Config.cfg" file (located under the GameData/RSSVE path)
  • Changing the "rendererFixEnabled" option from "False" to "True"
  • Saving the changes and (re)starting KSP

Credits

Contributors

• Francois W. Nel (Alpha version testing and QA)
  • Lukas "@Theysen" Theisen (Scatterer configs)

License

RSSVE is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license (CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 or later).

88x31.png

Support

Check the official support guidelines for an up-to-date guide of how to get support:

For more information, troubleshooting and questions please consult the official RSSVE wiki.

Bug reports that do not follow the specified guidelines will be ignored.

CKAN is not currently supported due to various issues with the pre-release installation procedures.

Change Log

Spoiler

RSSVE v1.2.2-RC4 for KSP 1.2.2 (2017-09-03):

• Compatibility update for the Scatterer v0.0320 release.
  • Enabled the Scatterer cloud integration and ring shadow features.
  • Rebuilt all Scatterer profiles from scratch (courtesy of RSSVE collaborator Lukas "Theysen" Theisen).
  • Added detail surface textures to Earth and Triton.
  • Updated the aurora texture map for Earth.
  • Decreased the opacity of the Titan cloud texture map.
  • Updated the cloud texture maps for Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus.
  • Added a custom Saturn ring texture for the new ring shadow feature.
  • Fixed the altitude of the gas giants cloud layers (still wrong by a factor of ten though).
  • Fixed the altitude of the Venus cloud layer.
  • Improved the appearance and overall performance impact of the volumetric clouds.
  • Improved the appearance of the city day and night detail texture maps.
  • Added some missing volumetric clouds to Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
  • Tweaked the apparent brightness and movement of the Earth auroras.
  • Reduced the apparent brightness of the Earth surface from orbit.
  • Tweaked the apparent light levels on the surface of Venus.

RSSVE v1.2.2-RC3 for KSP 1.2.2 (2017-02-26):

• Compatibility update for the Scatterer v0.300 release.
  • Many small tweaks to the atmospheric scatter effects of all bodies.
  • Increased the apparent brightness of the Moon (might still need some tweaking).
  • Titan will now appear less bright and saturated than before.
  • Remade and simplified the Earth aurora main and detail textures.
  • The Earth aurora is now less visible in the daylight.
  • Removed an old and unused Earth cloud main texture.
  • Removed the Earth PQS texture (was a performance hog and did not look good anyway).
  • Re-factored the file and folder structure to ease management and development.
  • New binary assemblies for KSP 1.1.3 users (for use with EVE 1.1-3 and Scatterer v0.0255). Download and replace the one included with this package (dated: 2017-02-03).

RSSVE v1.2.2-RC2 for KSP 1.2.2 (2016-12-16):

• Improved Earth Scatterer configs (atmospheric and oceanic). Courtesy of RSSVE collaborator Lukas "Theysen" Theisen.

RSSVE v1.2.2-RC1 for KSP 1.2.2 (2016-12-12):

• First release candidate for Real Solar System Visual Enhancements.

Derivatives

RSSVE-Lite by @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures: a lightweight version of RSSVE that includes only the EVE features.

Screenshots

(Click on the preview images to show the high resolution versions).

Spoiler

RSSVE_thumbnail_venus.png RSSVE_thumbnail_earth.png
RSSVE_thumbnail_mars.png RSSVE_thumbnail_jupiter.png
RSSVE_thumbnail_saturn.png RSSVE_thumbnail_titan.png
RSSVE_thumbnail_uranus.png RSSVE_thumbnail_neptune.png
RSSVE_thumbnail_triton.png RSSVE_thumbnail_pluto.png

Edited by Phineas Freak
Remove links

I love you for making this! I was using dev version of RSSVE for quite a while back at 1.1.3, and I couldn't imagine RSS without it. Knowing that this thing of beauty is already available for KSP 1.2.2 will make waiting for Realism Overhaul update that much more painful. Anyway, thank you for your work both on this gem and on RO as a whole. It's magnificent!

Downloading right now :) Thank you so much for your efforts! 

I am already eagerly awaiting the official new scatterer release with the improved sunset shading to be used with this beauty. Spending more time looking at Earth than flying rockets :P

Edited by Theysen

Haha, a few hours after trying and failing to get the old RVE to work, accepting I will have to play without clouds and atmosphere, this pops up.

Thanks four your work!

Edited by Temeter

Strange, having a weird issue: When I launch a craft, then I haveI all effects except clouds. Flying to 20km didn't change anything. But flying a spacecraft into space I suddenly get clouds, and reorbiting I also have everything working, volumetric clouds and everything.

I've installed everything new and up to date. Anything typical I might have done wrong? Switched to the cloud layer (on launch pad) and clicked 'apply', but that didn't anything either.

---

Basically, during launch (ignore the terrain artefact):

Spoiler

xiQrnLR.jpg

And after:

Spoiler

oum7FKI.jpg

Also, the shader work alone is amazing, as the clouds are. Game looks almost shockingly realistic, you took the whole thing to a new level... O_o

Edited by Temeter

wow @Phineas Freak, you are really something!!!!! 

I wholeheartedly want to thank you for this amazing work, I bet it was very tough but the results are awe-inspiring. It is amazing what you have accomplished and I am positive you made A LOT of people happy with this, as I know I certainly am!!!

Again, many many many thanks for sharing this with us, I will be enjoying your mod every time I play KSP! 

<3

Thank you all for your kind words! It really means a lot for me!

7 hours ago, Sol Invictus said:

I was using dev version of RSSVE for quite a while back at 1.1.3, and I couldn't imagine RSS without it.

It has been a long way since then. I don't even want to remember my first tries while i was learning the how-to of EVE and Scatterer. Even now there are some things that tickle my OCD (but i will fix them!).

Can i say a "thank you" to you for spreading the word? It would not be as good if you had not!

6 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

It was a shame that with then new EVE and the beauty of Scatterer we hadn't an official visual pack for RSS.

I was waiting for KSP 1.2 and RSS to be updated. Now that we have a stable KSP version and a new RSS release i found the chance to get the first beta version out.

6 hours ago, Theysen said:

I am already eagerly awaiting the official new scatterer release with the improved sunset shading to be used with this beauty.

Me too! I have done some preliminary work on that end but there are still some things to iron out.

Don't forget the new ring shader! Saturn will not be a bland looking ring planet anymore.

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

This is great! I have been working on a full size ssrss package but now I don't have to. Thank you for taking a mod off of my plate. Looks great. 

Thank you! It means a lot to hear that from a professional artist.

I can hardly open GIMP and do some basic texture manipulation..

Now, onward to the bug reports!

@Temeter do the cloud layer(s) show up instantly or do they fade-in? I have the suspicion that i have made a mistake somewhere in the Earth Scatterer config (had that one occur before). Is it around the 140K or the 160K altitude mark?

21 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Temeter do the cloud layer(s) show up instantly or do they fade-in? I have the suspicion that i have made a mistake somewhere in the Earth Scatterer config (had that one occur before). Is it around the 140K or the 160K altitude mark?

More detail: I do get clouds on the first launch, but it is only an incredibly thin and spare layer, very few clouds (had to wait 2 days to get some over the launch pad). Also no volumetric clouds as far as i can tell (just a grey, flat layer at a certain hight where clouds are).

Definitly 160km. There, the incomplete clouds fade for a second or two, and the full clouds load in, in all their beauty.

Edited by Temeter

Yeah, I see oddities during the ~120-165km transition phase. The cities really stick out as the PQS/SS transition fades through, and the clouds sort of disappear for a bit. That said, it all looks very good. I'll take a closer look after RO is available and I can experiment. I won't complain without something useful to suggest in a PR :)

1 hour ago, Phineas Freak said:

OK, the fade is definitely Scatterer. I had that one occur on me but it never manifested in a really predictable way (usually after messing around a lot with the EVE GUI while "dev-ing").

Does it also occur after starting a new KSP instance?

You mean in a clean install or when restarting the game? Because the clouds basically reset to near-non existant whenever I launch a craft.

I'm going to check a clean install, but sadly, it's getting a bit late over here, so I can only report back tommorrow.

Edited by Temeter

@Temeter no, just closing and relaunching KSP. Although as @stratochief66 reports, there might be something more in this. As mentioned, the PQS to SS transition using Scatterer sometimes is a bit harsh and it definitely needs tweaking (can be clearly seen at Venus and Titan with their heavy cloud layers).

Maybe someone that knows Scatterer a bit better than me (and has faced that issue before) can chime in and give some advice.

@PhineasFreak 

May I add my personal scatterer configs as a PR to your existing branch so you can check them out and eventually incorporate - if you're happy with them. With all respect to your absolutely superb work with all planets I do think the earth ones can be expanded a little. I make sure I convert them to current scatterer configs though first. I took a long time with them and checked standard atmosphere spreadsheets and density settings. Ironed out the strange transition as well. At least in 1.1.3. Since you made a current 1.2.2 edition I'd suggest it as the go-to pack and I like the idea of a central version to name, 

@Theysen one thing that i really like is feedback so i would really appreciate that. Scatterer is difficult beast with all these tweakable parameters and altitude nodes so some help with them would be a really nice thing. It may also reveal why some users have the aforementioned fade-in-and-out issues (that i cannot replicate :().

I do not consider my work to be even good and it needs a lot to be done for it to actually be. I have seen some extraordinary work from Galileo, Pingo and sDaze that is cannot be matched easily.

1 hour ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Theysen one thing that i really like is feedback so i would really appreciate that. Scatterer is difficult beast with all these tweakable parameters and altitude nodes so some help with them would be a really nice thing. It may also reveal why some users have the aforementioned fade-in-and-out issues (that i cannot replicate :().

I do not consider my work to be even good and it needs a lot to be done for it to actually be. I have seen some extraordinary work from Galileo, Pingo and sDaze that is cannot be matched easily.

I commit another branch, just tested some things. Is Mars opaque by any chance? I remember some PR's for RSS about this because right now the scatterer atmosphere on Mars has slight issues being round :D

Another thing I noticed: The "city lights" textures are so blocky reaching into the ocean because they don't fade into the water. Is there anything to be done about this? 

10 minutes ago, Theysen said:

I remember some PR's for RSS about this because right now the scatterer atmosphere on Mars has slight issues being round

Being round? The only problem with roundness was with the gas giants using the Kopernicus "oblate" feature but nothing else. Haven't noticed something else.

11 minutes ago, Theysen said:

Another thing I noticed: The "city lights" textures are so blocky reaching into the ocean because they don't fade into the water. Is there anything to be done about this? 

The EVE city lights feature is...weird. It needs a global body map texture, meaning that when you upscale the texture the resolution drops. That means you cannot exactly control where the lights are mapped (1 pixel on the Earth scale covers about 2.5 km). A higher resolution light map might improve that but the current one is already 8K and KSP supports up to 16K.

They are also a bit broken: sometimes you will see city lights & textures on other bodies (i got then on the Moon and Mars while i was testing).

Thank you so much for your work. Now i can't wait till RO/RP0 updates to 1.2 to play with this.

Did a little test with clean 1.2.2 KSP. I am curious how RSSVE perform on different pc's. On clean RSS i get 120-140 fps on launchpad, and with RSSVE its only 30 fps, on altitude above 20km fps drops to 20-15, and at some point when i leave atmosphere fps suddenly jumps back to 100+ :(

I have 3570k@ 4.2 and radeon r9 280x 3gb.

Edited by vgamble