[1.2.2] Real Solar System Visual Enhancements v1.2.2-RC4 [2017-09-03]

Phineas Freak

1 hour ago, vgamble said:

Thank you so much for your work. Now i can't wait till RO/RP0 updates to 1.2 to play with this.

Did a little test with clean 1.2.2 KSP. I am curious how RSSVE perform on different pc's. On clean RSS i get 120-140 fps on launchpad, and with RSSVE its only 30 fps, on altitude above 20km fps drops to 20-15, and at some point when i leave atmosphere fps suddenly jumps back to 100+ :(

I have 3570k@ 4.2 and radeon r9 280x 3gb.

I'm not sure if that's still the case, but in development version of RSSVE for KSP 1.1.3 all I had to do in order to fix this was replacing GameData\scatterer\config\Planets\Earth\ocean.cfg file with the same file for Kerbin from unmodified scatterer. It worked because ocean parameters in RSSVE were much more resource heavy than those in regular scatterer. However, it may result in oceanic waves being less impressive at close range.

Edited by Sol Invictus

18 minutes ago, Sol Invictus said:

I'm not sure if that's still the case, but in development version of RSSVE for KSP 1.1.3 all I had to do in order to fix this was replacing GameData\scatterer\config\Planets\Earth\ocean.cfg file with the same file for Kerbin from unmodified scatterer. It worked because ocean parameters in RSSVE were much more resource heavy than those in regular scatterer. However, it may result in oceanic waves being less impressive at close range.

Thank you for your reply, but it didn't help.

@Sol Invictus @vgamble The volumetrics are the culprit here. I have a guide on the RSSVE wiki on how to disable them. BTW, we have the exact same CPU (down to the overclock speed) but i am using a GTX 760.

The Scatteter ocean is as low as it gets (64 fourier size). You can also try and disabling the ocean shaders (instruction steps also included in the wiki).

22 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Sol Invictus @vgamble The volumetrics are the culprit here. I have a guide on the RSSVE wiki on how to disable them. BTW, we have the exact same CPU (down to the overclock speed) but i am using a GTX 760.

The Scatteter ocean is as low as it gets (64 fourier size). You can also try and disabling the ocean shaders (instruction steps also included in the wiki).

I did read wiki, and turned off volumetric. There is a difference in fps but its not that big. With all volumetrics off and disabled ocean i still get only ~40 fps on launch pad, and down to 23 fps in flight?

So what fps do you get with your gtx760?

Again, thank you for your time.

@raxo2222 yes, but you have to be careful: since RSSVE is not tied to a CKAN bundle, CKAN will download both the EVE binaries and the BoulderCo texture folder. You must manually remove the latter after installing EVE. All other mods can be downloaded and installed normally.

Damn, i had both DOE topics open while i was making the OP and apparently i copied the wrong one. Thank you for reporting it!

15 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@raxo2222 yes, but you have to be careful: since RSSVE is not tied to a CKAN bundle, CKAN will download both the EVE binaries and the BoulderCo texture folder. You must manually remove the latter after installing EVE. All other mods can be downloaded and installed normally.

Damn, i had both DOE topics open while i was making the OP and apparently i copied the wrong one. Thank you for reporting it!

Ah cool, then add this warning for those who wants semi CKAN install at EVE download :wink:

Edit: You forgot to mention, that only Sunflares should be installed from Scatterer mod - your wiki mentions this.

Edited by raxo2222

Just now, raxo2222 said:

Ah cool, then add this warning for those who wants semi CKAN install at EVE download :wink:

Does it make sense though? I mean, while i was developing it i used CKAN and did exactly that. But it is a major PITA to have users reporting "yo, my clouds do not work when i use CKAN, plz fix!" when they fail to follow the installation procedures (and they will!), while it is easier to say that "CKAN is not supported, period!".

In fact, i went the extra mile to implement a folder & file checker for RSSVE for that reason: a failure to follow the instructions. If EVE or Scatterer are missing then you will get a warning message. Same with an older/newer version of KSP.

I had the idea of extending that checker to:

• Detect on startup if the BoulderCo folder is installed
  • If it is installed then remove it
  • If not then continue like nothing happened

As a way to make CKAN installations semi-possible. But...is it a good strategy? I think not since it would be similar to malware.

3 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Does it make sense though? I mean, while i was developing it i used CKAN and did exactly that. But it is a major PITA to have users reporting "yo, my clouds do not work when i use CKAN, plz fix!" when they fail to follow the installation procedures (and they will!), while it is easier to say that "CKAN is not supported, period!".

In fact, i went the extra mile to implement a folder & file checker for RSSVE for that reason: a failure to follow the instructions. If EVE or Scatterer are missing then you will get a warning message. Same with an older/newer version of KSP.

I had the idea of extending that checker to:

• Detect on startup if the BoulderCo folder is installed
  • If it is installed then remove it
  • If not then continue like nothing happened

As a way to make CKAN installations semi-possible. But...is it a good strategy? I think not since it would be similar to malware.

Well by semickan I meant all required and recommended mods installed by ckan and yours manually :wink:

@vgamble

If you experience low fps in contrast to old RVE (if I read it correctly) - disable the PQS terrain textures stuff. On my old system this killed the whole performance to a stop when I tried RSSVE when climbing higher and higher with more terrain to be shown. After I deactivated them it was back on normal for me.

Edited by Theysen
Sorry Phineas, Quoting derped out

New release candidate: RSSVE v1.2.2-RC2

Change Log

• Improved Earth Scatterer configs (atmospheric and oceanic). Courtesy of our very own @Theysen!

Bug Fixes

• Softer transition between the Earth PQS and SS.

Known Issues

• The city lights may appear to fade-in/out or flicker near to the PQS/SS transition. This probably is a bug with the EVE/Scatterer interoperability.

Tagging @stratochief66 and @Temeter, who had problems with the PQS/SS transition.

On 12/16/2016 at 1:04 PM, Theysen said:

If you experience low fps in contrast to old RVE (if I read it correctly) - disable the PQS terrain textures stuff.

Hmm, that one is new to me. Is is really that CPU/GPU heavy? If so, i will remove it. Iin the end, it is not really noticeable.

Edited by Phineas Freak

Well, technically it wasn't as much the transition for me, as the volumetric clouds didn't correctly load in until the transition (and back) happened.

@Phineas Freak Now everything seems to work. Started the game 2 times, and got correct clouds both times. :D

Edited by Temeter

4 hours ago, Theysen said:

@vgamble

If you experience low fps in contrast to old RVE (if I read it correctly) - disable the PQS terrain textures stuff. On my old system this killed the whole performance to a stop when I tried RSSVE when climbing higher and higher with more terrain to be shown. After I deactivated them it was back on normal for me.

That helped a bit. Thank you.

5 hours ago, ISE said:

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sticktongue:

Hey there! :D

4 hours ago, Temeter said:

Now everything seems to work. Started the game 2 times, and got correct clouds both times. :D

Perfect!

@vgamble so, you confirm that removing the PQS terrain texture improves the minimum FPS? If so, i will definitely remove it for the next RC.

Edited by Phineas Freak

3 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Hey there! :D

Perfect!

@vgamble so, you confirm that removing the PQS terrain texture improves the minimum FPS? If so, i will definitely remove it for the next RC.

Not much, but it gave me +10 fps when lifting up to higher atmosphere. I don't think pqs is the problem, there is still massive fps differences between my 1.1.3 with RVE and 1.2.2 with RSSVE. I will make some screenshots of my 1.2.2 and 1.1.3 but it will take some time, i need clean reinstall 1.1.2 and RSSVE and wait infinity to 1.1.3 load :D

1 hour ago, Phineas Freak said:

Do note that i have added two different volumetric layers on top of everything else so these results sound normal. Either way it is getting removed.

If i may, i suggest you to not delete any features right now. Wait till RO comes to 1.2.2, there will be a lot more people with RSSVE to test it. Players with good gpu can achieve better quality and those who wish for good fps will always be able to turn off some features.

I have some simple screenshots with fps comparisons now. If needed i will post them here.

Edited by vgamble

11 hours ago, vgamble said:

If i may, i suggest you to not delete any features right now. Wait till RO comes to 1.2.2, there will be a lot more people with RSSVE to test it. Players with good gpu can achieve better quality and those who wish for good fps will always be able to turn off some features.

I will use some MM "magic" to add an easy way for the user to disable the PQS system and make default to "False".

6 hours ago, leudaimon said:

Great Job! Works flawlessly and looks great!!

Thank you for your kind words! :)