[1.2.2] Real Solar System Visual Enhancements v1.2.2-RC4 [2017-09-03]

Phineas Freak

@Observe there is a middle ground: it is true that RSS controls the body textures but you can easily manipulate the Kopernicus configs to add/remove/change things (this is how i "fix" the oblateness of the gas giants so that EVE and Scatterer can work). I could add custom Earth surface textures but it is only half a solution, since the maximum texture size that Unity supports is limited to 16K (16384 px by 16384 px) and the overall result would not be better. I did some testing using 16K and 32K textures and reported the results here:

Also, VRAM and CPU throughput will limit the max size of a texture.

A reddit user is planning a visual pack for RSS that also adds better Earth textures. I think that he/she is also active here but i cannot recall the username.

Edited by Phineas Freak

@Phineas Freak Thank you for the reference thread re. 16k limitation. Good to know. I was messing around with 16k images myself a couple of weeks ago, but wasn't able to achieve anything satisfactory.

Regarding the ocean/land transition I mentioned previously, I know realize much of this problem is related to the sediment shelf (continental and insular) present in EarthHeight.dds. This prevents a clean transition from land to water; often resulting in a flickering effect. Frequently, this sediment shelf is rendered above sea level - causing islands to join together or become severely distorted.

Currently, I am running an experiment with slightly lowering the sediment shelves in EarthHeight and the results look promising. I found a high-res TIF elevation image that has no bathymetry (water depth) and using it as a mask, I slightly lower the EarthHeight sediment elevation. This gives me a much nicer and more accurate transition from land to water.

I'll post my results here if conclusive.

Edited by Observe

Here are my results from lowering the underwater sediment shelf slightly. In this example, I'm using a location over the Channel Islands off the coast and a little South from Vandenberg Air Force Base.

Original EarthHeight.dds (note the arrows showing areas where there should no land):

channel_isl_orig.jpg

Modified EarthHeight.dds (note correct separation between islands and no land jutting out from mainland)

channel_isl_new.jpg

Reference Google image:

channel_islands_google.jpg

I think my modified heightmap image improves island and coastline rendition and it doesn't affect altitude above sea level.

As you say @Phineas Freak, it's a matter of finding a middle-ground compromise to achieve the less-than-perfect best of all worlds.

Thank you

EDIT: Here is my modified EarthHeight.dds image.

Edited by Observe

Another approach with textures, is mixing resolution. For example, it is possible to use a 16k heightmap along with 8k color and bump maps. I am running some tests along those lines, and results are encouraging. While 16k color doesn't improve things much, 16k heightmap on the other hand does add noticeable height detail. This hybrid resolution method, uses far less memory and other demands than full 16k.

Edited by Observe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, normally i use ckan for mods but RSSVE doesn't support it, I'm really struggling to install this mod and I am following every step as listed including redownloading mod zips to eliminate chances of missing/corrupt content.

Does anyone have steam/discord/teamspeak that I can have a chat to for some help regarding this instead of typing out all info etc etc, I want to make it as quick and as painless as possible for every one. 

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.

Cheers, Rage.

please some one help me i have problem in reentry even from low orbit when i return my heat shield start depleting  ablator from very high altitude of 100k and then when i came to 90k the heat shield temperature reaches 3000k and then heat start passing trough the part above and the part overheats and explodes 

i have this problem in sigma dimension 10k and also now i thought the problem was from sigma but i have it now i do not understand what hell is wrong please some one help me 

Edited by Ninadragonborn

I just read an arcticle from NASA, where they said around 70% of Earths surface is cloud covered. https://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/icesat_light.html

When looking at Earth in RSSVE i would say there is to much sunshine. After digging through clouds.cfg, RSSVE global configs and scatterer configs I did not find a good way to make it just a little bit more cloudy. Did i miss something or is it not working this way?

@Ninadragonborn With Stock KSP + RSS & RSSVE reentry is pretty easy. Even directly from the Moon to 70km is working. Do you use any other mods or maybe a physics.cfg from an old version? Another idea would be Kopernicus mod has old or wrong data, as this mod is required for sigma dimension and RSS.

@Heady978 you can add extra cloud layers via the EVE GUI. Check the included cloud configs for more info.

@Ninadragonborn RSSVE has nothing to do with any of these bugs that you are reporting here. This one is just a visual addon for RSS, nothing more. If you have issues with RSS then it is not my problem and you should report them to the official RSS thread:

@Phineas Freak Hey, could this mod work with SSRSS? I think the textures look a lot better and would prefer them over SSRSS textures, mainly because you got better clouds than it and you gotta get up to 200km or so on SSRSS to get nice views, generally I prefer RSS but it's so hard and no mod really satisfies it, plus RO is super hard and hasn't even updated

@The-Doctor i think that it is possible via Sigma Dimensions (SSRSS has a hard dependensy on that mod). It will take care of the cloud configs but:

• they might need some tweaking afterwards
  • Scatterer configs are not covered by Sigma Dimensions

So the end result might not be good.

5 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

you got better clouds than it

I don't think so, the RSSVE cloud textures are either public domain or (almost) hacked together. I wish i would be more proficient with the various image editing programs. :P

16 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@The-Doctor i think that it is possible via Sigma Dimensions (SSRSS has a hard dependensy on that mod). It will take care of the cloud configs but:

I don't think so, the RSSVE cloud textures are either public domain or (almost) hacked together. I wish i would be more proficient with the various image editing programs. :P

I shall test

18 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

So I tested it out, it's not bad, the sun looks massive, for Earth the clouds are on the surface lol and has many lines across the surface from orbit

@Phineas Freak  I got it. Clouds is just a layer like Earth map. So I optimistically added 4 extra cloud layers... the result was standing in the night at launch pad with 16 FPS instead of ~50FPS before. :D So i deleted 3 and had just one more with a slightly faster moving speed. Im pretty happy with this config.

Earth now in Kerbal:

D188BB196CAF8D43F94723D955A2665AC7CB193E

actual pic from GOES-16 Nasa:

abi_full_disk_low_res_jan_15_2017.jpg

Just the border between 3D clouds and the flat dds image is sometimes pretty good

448EFB62B1AB2E443828EB9DD4D6A5BD139C76F1

and sometimes a chunky flat map, but i guess this will be as difficult as a earth map with more than 8192x4096px

7F24712FE27EB05908049BC96897625523A03EB9

On 1/18/2017 at 0:40 AM, Phineas Freak said:

Photoshop is your friend :D 

On 1/23/2017 at 11:18 PM, Heady978 said:

So I optimistically added 4 extra cloud layers... the result was standing in the night at launch pad with 16 FPS instead of ~50FPS before.

That's why i try to keep it as low profile as possible. :D

On 1/24/2017 at 0:00 AM, sDaZe said:

Photoshop is your friend :D 

There are some things that, no matter how many times i try to learn, i always fail. One of these is texture manipulation.

Today, with the new Scatterer release i added one more: Scatterer planet configs. And these two reasons are slowly driving me away from attempting to make RSSVE something bigger.

Progress Log #1

I am working on the next release candidate. This will be compatible with the new Scatterer release.

Edited by Phineas Freak
Stupid wording...

11 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

There are some things that, no matter how many times i try to learn, i always fail. This texture manipulation.

Today, with the new Scatterer release i added one more: Scatterer planet configs. And these two reasons are slowly driving me away from attempting to make RSSVE something bigger.

Edit: i am working on the next release candidate. This will be compatible with the new Scatterer release.

Hit me up if the earth scatterer atmo gives trouble with the new cloud shading - I'm stuck in learning for exams - but I *think* it should be fine - I tested it against the prerelease some time back. 

@Theysen Fortunately, none of your configs (or some simpler ones for the other bodies, like Triton or Pluto) have issues, in fact they are looking even better now! But Venus and Titan are PITA to balance correctly due to the dense cloud cover: my amateur configs do not play well enough with the new EVE integration feature.

The most annoying thing is that the EVE configs and the Scatterer configs for these two are spot-on by their own, When you combine them...bad things happen. :(

42 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

There are some things that, no matter how many times i try to learn, i always fail. This texture manipulation.

Edit: i am working on the next release candidate. This will be compatible with the new Scatterer release.

If you need help i'll pm me and ill try and help :)