[1.2.2] Real Solar System Visual Enhancements v1.2.2-RC4 [2017-09-03]

Phineas Freak

3 hours ago, Theysen said:

Technically you’re looking for the solution in the dependencies threads since RSSVE itself doesn’t add any menus to edit configs. :P 

on the other side, yes could be added in the OP that if you’d like to disable or change features to get better performance etc to use EVE or scatterer menus and their hotkey listed as well 

Ah, yes or course. I forget that RSSVE is essentially just an umbrella over EVE.

Would still be handy to have the hotkeys for opening various menus listed in the OP of RSSVE for EVE and scatterer.

I will check the EVE OP for the hotkey, thanks :wink:

1 hour ago, John FX said:

Ah, yes or course. I forget that RSSVE is essentially just an umbrella over EVE.

Would still be handy to have the hotkeys for opening various menus listed in the OP of RSSVE for EVE and scatterer.

I will check the EVE OP for the hotkey, thanks :wink:

I thought you found it already, my bad!

ALT + 0 (zero) for EVE, ALT + F12 or 11 for scatterer

I'm having an issue that I've tried to solve for most of the day (which I know I'll regret admitting when someone shows up with a solution that they googled in 4 seconds).

I'm seeing solid "shells" in place of atmospheres fading into space on certain planets, such as Mars and Venus. 

Album https://imgur.com/a/LOwNw

Notably, Earth seems to look fine to me, with a properly fading atmosphere up close and a sharp border from further away.

Things I've tried:
Double-checking version numbers (I'm using RC4 on 1.2.2)
Doing a completely clean install of KSP and only installing the necessary mods for RSSVE
Testing on integrated graphics to hopefully rule out my video card.
Messing around with all the AMD Catalyst settings

Can anyone tell from the pictures what the issue might be?

Edited by mystere9
Dead link

KSP: 1.2.2 Windows x64

Problem: Venus and Mars appear with solid borders around them.

Spoiler

5x2ecBO.png
This may help you diagnose the issue, or it may be completely unrelated, but the text on the menu appears under Earth's Clouds:
Q0rLsD1.png

Mods installed:

Environmental Visual Enhancements 1.2.2.1
Kopernicus 1.2.2-11
Modular Flight Integrator - whatever version came with Kopernicus
Real Solar System 12.0
RSS-Textures: Have tried 2k and 8k
RSSVE 1.2.2-RC4
scatterer 0.03200
Module Manager 2.7.6

Reproduction steps:

This is a fresh install with all mods left exactly as they came. I start a new game and either send a ship to Venus, or go to venus in the tracking station and see the solid border.

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5hrmh9neerisx1/output_log.txt?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2017 at 1:57 PM, J-2 Lover said:

Okay, I've found it. Specific parts are causing this issue! I've tried a lot of part combinations and marked it down to all parts that have a reflecting surface for example the Atlas and Agena tanks from FASA or Explorer 6(US Probes) - other parts from these mods don't make problems (like the Transit-2A Probe which is not reflecting). The only other parts I've discovered so far are alternative models for the AJ10 called "AJ10 Upper Stage Engine" and "AJ10 Upper Stage Engine Extended" ( idk which mod they're coming from). I've only tested RP0 compatible parts. As soon as these parts leave "rendering range" (>15km distance) it stops.

I can easily live with this, too! I'm just wondering, it seems like its only affecting a few players and is maybe easy to fix :wink:

In addition to the tracking station switching, i simply don't look at earth while approaching 140km so you have no flickering at all. When you don't forget it half of the time, like me ^^

Are you using engine lighting mod?

18 hours ago, Gooner said:

Are you using engine lighting mod?

Nope, I'm using the stock RP-0 install plus pretty much everything from Raidernick as well as some standard tools like kerbal alarm clock and pilot assistant. It's a very annoying flickering, I didn't get it with RC3. I've been trying to find ways to fix it.  J-2 Lover is right, I only get it with parts that have that reflecting feature like Sputnik and Luna from the raidernick pack. I don't get it with Explorer probe from Fasa.

Edited by romanasul

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to make Earth clouds appear less "blurry" from greater distances? It's somewhat annoying to me to see the detailed cloud features fade off into dull, smooth edges as I travel further from the planet. I know that there are "cloud fade" parameters in EVE, but I don't know which ones to tweak, or what values to set them to in order to fix this problem without causing unintended side effects. If anyone knows how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it. 

KSP: 1.2.2 Windows x64

Problem: Saturn rings are black and cast no shadow

Image https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yzlkv5y63ionen/saturn.jpg?dl=0

Mods installed:

Environmental Visual Enhancements 1.2.2.1
Kopernicus 1.2.2-11
Real Solar System 12.0
RSS-Textures: 4k
RSSVE 1.2.2-RC4
scatterer 0.0320
Module Manager 2.7.6

(+ HyperEdit for tets)

Reproduction steps:

This is a fresh install with all mods left exactly as they came. I start a new game and either send a ship to Saturn, or go to Saturn in the tracking station and the rings are black and cast no shadow.

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrmfxrcdfcfe1gt/KSP.log?dl=0

Note :

I also get the bug described by mystere9 (Venus and Mars appear with solid borders around them.)

How do you get this working in 1.3.1. There are so many mentions of a fix and issues and different versions of scatterer and eve that I cant pinpoint an actual fix anywhere. Can someone tell me exactly how to get it working?

I notice that the "DetailEarth" and "DetailCity" textures cause significant performance issues. How can I reduce the resolution of these textures/otherwise reduce their performance impact? Looking at the detailed terrain causes framerate drops of about 8fps compared to looking at the ocean or sky. 

I also noticed that the framerate appears to drop slowly over time, both in the space center and in flight. In the space center, after a flight (or a simulation of a flight), and waiting about 15-20 minutes will lead the framerate to slowly drop. I'm not sure why this happens. A similar effect occurs in flight. I noticed that my framerate during re-entry was significantly lower than it had been during launch, despite there being far fewer parts on the reentry vehicle than the launch vehicle. 

KSP Version: 1.2.2 64-Bit

Spoiler

RSS and RSS Textures (8192x4096)

RSSVE and dependencies

Realism Overhaul and Dependencies

RP-0 and Dependencies

Toolbar

Advanced Jet Engine

B9 Procedural Wings

Connected Living Space

Cryogenic Engines and dependencies

Deadly Reentry

Distant Object Enhancement (RSS Config)

FASA

Final Frontier

Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS)

Forgotten Real Engines

Freedom Textures

Hanger Extender

K2 Command Pod

KCT

Kerbal Renamer

KRASH

KSC Switcher

KSP Addon Version Checker

KW Rocketry

MainSailor's Procedural Parts Textures (Essential and Complete texture packs)

Mechjeb2

NavyFish's Docking Alignment Indicator

Oinker's Skybox 2.0

Persistent Rotation

Planet Shine

Principia

Procedural Fairings and Procedural Fairings-For Everything

Procedural Parts

Raster Prop Monitor

RCS Build Aid

Recovery Controller

Re-Entry Particle Effect

Remote Tech

RSS Date Time Formatter

Semi-Saturable Reaction Wheels

SCANSat

ScrapYard

ShipManifest

Soviet Engines

Stage Recovery

SXT

Taerobee

Test Flight

Texture Replacer

TAC Life Support

Ven's Stock Revamp

Output Log

How would I go about reducing the cloud layers because when I launch the lag is horrible. I also notice city testures seem to be blocky around the coast I am in 1.3.1 so I understand that chances are its just not working because its not updated but if anyone has a suggestion that could help it would be great.

Edited by TachyonGMZ

i'm having big problem with this mod. i can't see saturn's ring. i reinstalled mods, game itself, and i even checked config files and nothing is changedscreenshot1.png

like this.

screenshot2.png

in consol window, it says Code and texture related to the ring were recognized and applied normally.

oh, i changed some settings in RSSVE_Global_Config.cfg and original rss mod ring appeared without a shadow.

%Rings
        {
            %Ring
            {
                %texture = RSSVE/Assets/MainTextures/SaturnRings
                %angle = 0
                %innerRadius = 1200
                %outerRadius = 2500
                %longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
                %lockRotation = True
                %unlit = True
                %useNewShader = false <---------True to false
                %penumbraMultipler = 1000.0
            }
        }

I'm spending more than 10 hours on this job just to solve this single problem. i really want to solve it quickly.

what's the problem and what should i do???

Edited by BlackDragon Korean

So...let's clean up some of the questions and bug reports, shall we?

@Observe and @Heady978: Can you confirm that Kopernicus was the culprit for the "flying tiles" ?

@J-2 Lover and @Gousaid67: This may or may not be a bug from my config side. I have seen the dark band happen before but most of the time was difficult to actually see it. But i can confirm that making some minor corrections fixes that so consider it fixed.

@flart: Yes there is, check out RSSVE-Lite (it is also linked in the OP).

@Grabek: As other users report,  RSSVE is not officially compatible with RSS. And a general note: until RSS is considered compatible with KSP 1.3.1 then i will not release a newer version of RSSVE. RSSVE depends on both the RSS binaries (.dlls) and correct body naming configs. The current official release will not work under KSP 1.3.1. Unofficial recompiles and/or patches will not be considered or supported.

Having said that, users are free to use 

Now, your problem seems simple enough: if Scatterer cannot locate the textures defined by the Scatterer configs then you will get the exact same result. Since you are not providing a log file, i cannot comment on anything else. Check your installation and your folder permissions (if you are using Windows).

@Damien212: SpaceDock has every Scatterer release under the Changelog tab. Both the 0.0320 and the 0.0320b releases are listed.

@mystere9: Unfortunately this is something that is not currently fixable. I was able to "cover it up" in the previous versions but there are some complications regarding the RC4 release: if i use the hack that i was using to "fix" it then the EVE cloud integration feature will break. So, for now, it is better to have these terminators than a completely broken view of the atmosphere as viewed from the surface.

I will have to congratulate you though, you are one of the few users that actually followed the instructions and provided logs, along with sample screenshots!

@brooklyn666: This is how Scatterer camera setup works (at least up to the 0.0320b version). As for the fix...do not increase the camera FoV!

@gemini4: You can play around with the EVE detail distance parameters. Do note that you will face extreme detail texture tiling up close if you decrease the distance too much.

Also, for the terrain textures: other users have mentioned performance loss before but i thought that i fixed that (no reports upon the release of RC4). I will make sure to make them toggleable, along with the EVE volumetric clouds, for users that do not like these features.

@reloutino: I have not seen that before but i can make a guess: the Sun is perpendicular to the rings (as they cast no shadows) and they may appear unlit (or black). Test if timewarping (i.e. Saturn changing it's position relative to the Sun) "fixes" it. I guess this is a bug (limitation?) of the ring shader?

@BlackDragon Korean: Missing Saturn rings means that Kopernicus failed to load the ring shader. Without a log i cannot see if you are using the correct Kopernicus version (the KSP 1.2.2 backports fixed a lot of these ring issues - had the same problems in my dev environment) but that would be the first thing to check out.

A bug report that i will have to make is that the TextureReplacerReplaced reflections are currently broken when using Scatterer (horizon flashes when the PQS to SS transition happens). I am sure that other users will have reported it so i am leaving this here as a note for future reference.

Edited by Phineas Freak

Hey, I'm new to this entire system and I'm not even sure if I am supposed to be posting doubts and questions on this thread. However, I am having trouble with loading the clouds on all the planets. I installed all the requirements, but I just get a pure blue earth, without any land or clouds on any the planets in fact. Could someone help me please? 

On 2018. 1. 16. at 7:54 PM, Phineas Freak said:

@BlackDragon Korean: Missing Saturn rings means that Kopernicus failed to load the ring shader. Without a log i cannot see if you are using the correct Kopernicus version (the KSP 1.2.2 backports fixed a lot of these ring issues - had the same problems in my dev environment) but that would be the first thing to check out.

yeah, you're right. the problem was version of Kopernicus. problem solved! thank you very much.