Winter Discussion

Spacetraindriver

On 12/17/2016 at 4:35 PM, Frybert said:

Just moved up to Wisconsin from Florida. Actually born up this way, but moved south when I was young. The winter seemed to have started kind of late but man is it here now. I live out in the woods down a 600-700 foot driveway. Just finished snowing for third storm got about a foot or so really need to invest in a tractor with a snow blower on it. At least my vehicle is 4wd.

As someone who's lived in Wisconsin all their life,

Welcome to Cheeseland where the summers are too stinkin hot and the winters are too stinkin cold. there is no inbetween.

Ah, so we're talking about the weather, are we? Well... here in upstate NY two days ago we got something like 3 inches of snow (so nowhere near the usual amount for a proper winter snowfall). Everything was all nice and powdery, and then the very next day the temperature spiked up to 45° f, and it rained. Snow almost gone. No hopes for a white Christmas, but with some luck the temperature will drop after Christmas to a rather reasonable 15-20° f, we'll get a foot of snow, and everything will be right in the world.

We've had an ice storm in the valley, the worst in some time (30 years or so). Damage from trees took out a lot of people's power, some 11,000 or so, for a few days. Yeah, not nearly as apocalyptic as some places but we're not entirely used to this. A tulip tree that lies between the neighbor's house and mine lost some branches and took out an apple tree on their property, fortunately no damage to our houses. Our cherry is doing just fine, but those fruit trees are used to extra weight. Regardless, the storm has set us back:

For Hornaday, the storm is ­personally disheartening because ­arborists have worked for years to address pest-related birch tree ­diseases in Eugene’s hillsides.

Even after the ice has melted, birches will be weakened and more susceptible to borer pests and other diseases. “When (trees) go through a stressful situation like this, they’re more susceptible to diseases in the future,” he said. “A lot of the work that’s been done (by arborists) in the last 25 years is destroyed. It’s very disturbing.”

Despite all that, we got views like this (looking south on Willamette St. from 8th Ave.):

NL96xit.jpg

No white Christmas dreams here anymore. We went from -15 C to +12 in less than 36 hours, and combined with rain, we lost most of the snow. Looks like it's going to stay above 0 now through Christmas and possibly rain here and there.

I miss how bright the snow made everything at night. I had forgotten about that. With all the snow we had, you could see pretty clearly out at least a couple of kilometres by just the light of a nearly full moon on a cloudy night. With the moon and all that snow, it just never really gets dark. Makes the world feel kind of grim now by comparison.

I'm originally from Ohio.  For the past 2+ years, I've lived in South Carolina.  I enjoy winters down here, but not for the reasons you may think.

Snowfall in SC is entertaining.  If I hear there's going to be a half-inch of snowfall, I get over to the grocery store as soon as I can to sit in the parking lot and watch all these natives go crazy buying up bread, milk, and toilet paper, because the SNOWPOCALYPSE IS COMING!  Schools are closed.  Businesses shut down early (except where I work, since it's on the same property as the house and it's a 200 foot walk).  I found out that the only salt trucks (both of them) within 100 miles of where I live are at the airport.  Same with both snowplows.  My boss calls it "The Devil's Dandruff".

I LOVE winters in S. Carolina. :D

On 20/12/2016 at 9:24 PM, 5thHorseman said:

I'm getting sick of this mid-February weather. Makes me a bit worried about what February will actually be like.

Yeah, that thought has occurred to me as well. As much as I would like the low pressure system to take an unexpected hike and make way for some more snow by Christmas (currently scheduled for Boxing Day). The world was totally dusted in Snow yesterday morning, but then it got warm and rained and all the snow was gone within a couple hours of sunrise. Then it got cold again, as if to suggest the weather had deliberately warmed up just to rain all the snow away.

Where I live (NW Europe) the apparent magnitude of our star is just dim. It's really low on the horizon, and it's covered by thick clouds for extra bonus darkness. You leave the house in the dark, and you get home in the dark after work. I only see the house in daylight in the weekends!

As far as I'm concerned "the most beautiful time of the year" is definitely spring / summer.

23 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

frozenkamel.png

Guess what day it is???

(I am sorry but not sorry. I had to celebrate both Hump Day and the Winter Solstice. Also, was their a total lunar eclipse last night?)

It was snow in sahara some days ago. Think it was 40 year since last time.
It probably confused camels, 

22 hours ago, MaxxQ said:

I'm originally from Ohio.  For the past 2+ years, I've lived in South Carolina.  I enjoy winters down here, but not for the reasons you may think.

Snowfall in SC is entertaining.  If I hear there's going to be a half-inch of snowfall, I get over to the grocery store as soon as I can to sit in the parking lot and watch all these natives go crazy buying up bread, milk, and toilet paper, because the SNOWPOCALYPSE IS COMING!  Schools are closed.  Businesses shut down early (except where I work, since it's on the same property as the house and it's a 200 foot walk).  I found out that the only salt trucks (both of them) within 100 miles of where I live are at the airport.  Same with both snowplows.  My boss calls it "The Devil's Dandruff".

I LOVE winters in S. Carolina. :D

Makes some sense, if snow is very rare its probably cheaper to shut down traffic that day than have capability to handle it. 
It also make funny youtube videos. 

OH GOD. FINALLY ON THE 101 HEADING SOUTH. We just came off a un-godly stretch of road. No WiFi, twists and turns every 2 seconds (Im serious) couldn't sleep, my stomach is in knots. Heck I live in LA and we haven't freaking passed San Fransisco yet!  Predicted arrival time is 4:00 in the morning. Hope everyone is having a better holiday than me!

24 minutes ago, Spacetraindriver said:

OH GOD. FINALLY ON THE 101 HEADING SOUTH. We just came off a un-godly stretch of road. No WiFi, twists and turns every 2 seconds (Im serious) couldn't sleep, my stomach is in knots. Heck I live in LA and we haven't freaking passed San Fransisco yet!  Predicted arrival time is 4:00 in the morning. Hope everyone is having a better holiday than me!

RIP. I had to take a 7 hour bus ride from SD to Utah the other day. Spent it watching anime like the weaboo lowlife i am because I had nothing better to do with my time.

Today it rained almost all day. The trouble is, at this temperature it all freezes on the ground, creating a layer of ice a few millimeters thick that only serves to make your life suck. It's literally an ice rink out there. Luckily it's stopped now, but I really hope it stays above freezing tonight and melts off. This is why we have salt trucks...

Ah, winter.

The wife called the landlord on Christmas Eve to report the AC not working.  We won't be able to get anyone working on it until the morning of the 26th.  It's damn near 80 degrees inside, and only a couple of degrees cooler outside, with 90% humidity.

Downright chilly conditions, if it were July.

Yep, tons of rain here yesterday, with the temperature being JUST above freezing. Just enough to make my drive way a virtual slushie. Won't be going anywhere today! Its supposed to freeze tonight and stay that way at least through tomorrow, so at least I should make it to work. Assuming my truck doesn't get frozen in (the place I parked it is just as slushie and I won't get a chance to get to it until everything freezes again)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.