lextacy

[1.1.3/1.2*] MARS SCIENCE LABORATORY (MSL) PHASE 1

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, MeCripp said:

I have ran your part back through unity and don't have the crash but I didn't setup the solar panel part on it do you just add a transformer and a pivot transformer ? Or can you point me to a good tutorial on how ?

thats a bit of good news, what version of Unity do you have? To make solar panels you need to make 2 empties called sunpivot and suncatcher. Suncatcher needs to be underneath sunpivot. Both Z axis needs to face outward from solar panels.

crusie%20stage.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, lextacy said:

thats a bit of good news, what version of Unity do you have? To make solar panels you need to make 2 empties called sunpivot and suncatcher. Suncatcher needs to be underneath sunpivot. Both Z axis needs to face outward from solar panels.

crusie%20stage.png

Sorry seen you reply alittle late I just add 1 transformer named suncatcher and it looks like it works but now have alittle flicker in the textures will send you a PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lextacy said:

The log unfortunately just says "CRASH!"  Are you on a desktop? Try doing the reverse and place a random part in VAB to where the cruise stage is suppose to go. May be the backshell node is causing problem.

My hunch on this crashing issue is people might be on low-end machines. Some people are getting it to work no matter the mod count and/or version of KSP. This really is frying my brain nevertheless :/

1. YES! I can do this for next update. I forgot 1.2 used new categories. My bad

2. I will certainly add tweakscale support very soon! :D I do believe that is a "dependancy" anyways. If you need the aeroshell stuff bigger for big rovers you can just change the rescale factor for now in .cfg

Ill take that as a compliment as all these models are developed by me in 3dsMAX. I can really do some good modeling that looks authentic to the real world parts. In 3dsMAX if you take a simple cone and run the "shell" modifier onit you immedietly get the backshell shape to the letter. I was shocked.

Not sure if 3000 funds is alot. But I dont play career mode to know lol. The logs you gave did not give me information on the crash sadly. What version of KSP you have?

 

RageingIrish..........What version of KSP did you get the parts to work in? 

 

I ran without crash on KSP 1.2.1. Also, in regards to your theory about bad machines, I doubt it. I was using a MacBook Air with a 1.6gHz i5 (Squad says KSP needs at least 2gHz).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lextacy said:

The log unfortunately just says "CRASH!"  Are you on a desktop? Try doing the reverse and place a random part in VAB to where the cruise stage is suppose to go. May be the backshell node is causing problem.

My hunch on this crashing issue is people might be on low-end machines. Some people are getting it to work no matter the mod count and/or version of KSP. This really is frying my brain nevertheless :/

 

Don't know if it really has something to do with it being run on low-end machines. My machine has a gtx 960 with 2 gigs of VRAM, quad-core i7 broadwell, and 16 gigs of RAM, so it shouldn't be limiting. The other guy that had a crash had a gtx 750 Ti and free RAM in his log. Similarities I see is that we both are on NVidea cards, but I'm doubtful that the case. I don't know much about 3D modeling but could it be the .mu file itself that could be causing the crash? Maybe try exporting a new one for the next update? My other guess was the attachment nodes, as you mentioned. I already tried experimenting with them a bit, but I will try some more things. Who knows, could just be KSP itself causing the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Kevin Vandy said:

Don't know if it really has something to do with it being run on low-end machines. My machine has a gtx 960 with 2 gigs of VRAM, quad-core i7 broadwell, and 16 gigs of RAM, so it shouldn't be limiting. The other guy that had a crash had a gtx 750 Ti and free RAM in his log. Similarities I see is that we both are on NVidea cards, but I'm doubtful that the case. I don't know much about 3D modeling but could it be the .mu file itself that could be causing the crash? Maybe try exporting a new one for the next update? My other guess was the attachment nodes, as you mentioned. I already tried experimenting with them a bit, but I will try some more things. Who knows, could just be KSP itself causing the issue.

MeCripp got a an alternate .mu working from where he had a CTD as well. I might roll that .mu into the update. Maybe you could PM him and grab the .mu to try it out. I think the mesh got stupid in Unity and MeCripps Unity fixed it somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, lextacy said:

MeCripp got a an alternate .mu working from where he had a CTD as well. I might roll that .mu into the update. Maybe you could PM him and grab the .mu to try it out. I think the mesh got stupid in Unity and MeCripps Unity fixed it somehow.

@lextacy  I think my scale might have changed out of time now but will take a look at it later to make sure will be in touch later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lextacy said:

The log unfortunately just says "CRASH!"  Are you on a desktop? Try doing the reverse and place a random part in VAB to where the cruise stage is suppose to go. May be the backshell node is causing problem.

My hunch on this crashing issue is people might be on low-end machines. Some people are getting it to work no matter the mod count and/or version of KSP. This really is frying my brain nevertheless :/

1. YES! I can do this for next update. I forgot 1.2 used new categories. My bad

2. I will certainly add tweakscale support very soon! :D I do believe that is a "dependancy" anyways. If you need the aeroshell stuff bigger for big rovers you can just change the rescale factor for now in .cfg

[...]

Not sure if 3000 funds is alot. But I dont play career mode to know lol. The logs you gave did not give me information on the crash sadly. What version of KSP you have?

It's not a lot but that can make free money so I change cost to 4000 to have the price at 1000. I'm running 1.2.2 version of KSP.

I tried that @MeCripp send me and now I don't have any crash (Thanks !) when taking the cruise part and the backshell is not the problem since when I take the cruise part as a first part : It crash too ! (And that's not a low-end pc that I have :) ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool. Maybe I don't have to do mine and pretty much skip the Mars lander stuff I had in my to-do list.

Suggestion: Texture switching for just the logo is highly inefficient. I would suggest you replace the logo with a Player Flag instead, that way players can still use the JPL logo if they want, but you save all the memory of double textures.

Also, the flat white stands out quite a bit in certain lighting, maybe tone it down and/or give it some weathering.

~cheers

Edited by akron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear that MeCripps fix worked for you guys! :D I will be using his .mu in the next release. Still really dont know why it crashed , but its just whatever right now. Im now gonna take a bit a break for sevferal days. Ok and now for your suggestions.......... 

-Cruise stage will be a probe core/command

-White texture will get more natural looking and unsaturated

@akron....Id do that except that the future releases will include mission logos like "Pathfinder,"Viking", "MER". The player can select on the fly what mission they are building, hense the need for firespitters texture changer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DeepSlayLP said:

I have a slight problem and that is that the heatshield is roughly 2.5 m diameter and the shell is 3.75 m diameter. There might be something wrong with my install but I can send you a pic

http://imgur.com/a/mkant

One of the RO patches might be interfering for just the one part. Try deleting the ROpatch.cfg file if you don't have realfuels installed or you can try editing the rescale factor in the config for the part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lextacy said:

@akron....Id do that except that the future releases will include mission logos like "Pathfinder,"Viking", "MER". The player can select on the fly what mission they are building, hense the need for firespitters texture changer.

This is going to add even more of a memory footprint. If you HAVE to have full decals, I suggest you create a separate material with small 128x128px or 256px texture to house the decals by themselves, and use Firespitter to switch those. Otherwise I'd still encourage you to explore the possibility of using the stock Flag module and suggest players to use a mod like Decal Stickers if they want.

Edited by akron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/12/2016 at 11:41 AM, Kevin Vandy said:

@MeCripp's fixes worked. No more crashing for me!

same thing for me. tanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vince_K said:

same thing for me. tanks

Glad to hear it ! :D 

Version 1.0.4 is up. Its a small update done by MeCripp. He did some collision re-work, balancing, RCS improvements. You can grab it at Spacedawk! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/12/2016 at 1:18 AM, lextacy said:

There is an outdated mod that did this, but the author has ceased to kerbal.

Which one? Also, Pathfinder? I wanna drive that cute little chunk of aluminum, steel and silicon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lextacy,and that the project is abandoned or still under development ?

Edited by R.A.P.I.R.E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2017 at 6:58 AM, R.A.P.I.R.E. said:

lextacy,and that the project is abandoned or still under development ?

Its still under development, its just I dont play KSP during the spring,summer and fall. I also left off on the year 1973 which falls short of the release timeline. If someone wants to pick up Phase 2 I would let them.  Look for me in the winter times :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mod please close thread? Seems like a dead mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any mods that offer something similar to this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.