Error Accessing this save- Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I was running full time warp waiting for an ISRU to fuel my Eve lander and forgot to pause my game.  My computer went to sleep, which causes my game to crash.  When I went to load my save this morning, there was some red text that said "Error Accessing this save", and underneath read "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I have tried google, but there is nothing like this.

Any way that I can fix this?

Hello CheckYoStaging,

same here. I read some comments from 2014 with the recommendation to reload all mods. Didn't do any good. There where another notification: "ModuleManager: 237 patches applied, found 10 errors" which indicates that there are some problems with the mods. But after deinstalling all mods the problem still remained. Please tell me if you use some mods and if so, are those identical with some of mine.

I use following mods:

- mechjeb

- nertea-mods: near future electrical, near future propulsion, kerbal atomics, heat control, mark four spaceplane

- alarm clock

Please know I'm not trying to troll here, however leaving KSP running (at high timewarp, even) while the PC goes in sleep mode seems by itself a good recipe for summoning krakens. KSP autosaves each time specific events happen and also at time intervals, replacing the persistent.sfs. I'm not aware of any mechanic in KSP to ensure a save is properly written before the OS decides it's time to take a nap, it's the OS that needs to ensure to have completed pending operations before.

Anyway, that specific "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error was quite known. There were instances of lists where objects were pointed even after those had been destroyed by other game routines. While all known causes of such errors were catched and fixed, is still possible it may show in some very peculiar cases. Of course, also add-ons may show the same error for similar reasons.

Can't tell if there's any chance to recover a game; but will need having a look at it to be sure. Also, please provide the output_log when those errors appear.

@spomb: can't find a "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error logged in that output_log. Actually, there is no error logged at all; however that kind of log ending ("crash" with the stacktrace) is what I am used to find when KSP uses more memory than the OS can provide (normally would bring a "Out of memory error"). Anyway, you sure have a large number of add-ons installed, your issue is therefore almost certainly different than CheckYoStaging's. Can notice you have 2 different ModuleManager versions installed (2.5 and 2.7.4), only the latter gets loaded (as designed) still you may wish to delete the first, is useless and only delays loading. Another problem I'm finding is with TweakScale, at least that is the add-on I believe can produce that spam of "BoxColliders does not support negative scale or size." messages towards the end of the log. I am unable currently to check each single one of the add-ons you have to see if the crash can be reproduced (also, would require to know better what happened before the crash, it may be related to a specific situation with your savegame and actions done; therefore best if you could also show those (we call those "reproduction steps" in testing parlance)). If you can isolate a specific situation that always brings to the crash, the next step would be to retry without one or more of the add-ons to see if the situation changes. That way you should be able to find what add-on (or combination of) produces the crash, if that's related to just one or more. In general, a "Object reference..." kind of error can easily be due to one or more add-ons managing the same data, each unaware of the operations done by the other (or even by stock KSP) if they don't check for object existence; therefore I consider highly possible you'll find what causes the error testing that way. Should you end with a situation without add-ons installed and still the error shows, then please provide again output_log, savegame, reproduction steps and even system specifics (possibly, all that is listed in this help thread). If the error can be traced to a modded install, then better check so to provide all info as shown here instead.

@CheckYoStaging: output_log location is described here (among a wealth of other useful things to know to get support). About the savegame, it's the "persistent.sfs" within the saves/<yourgame> subfolder (of course <yourgame> means the actual name you used for your game, seems like it should be "Sandbox" by the pic you showed).

I tried, but it says that it is incompatible with my current version.

Edit: I was able to load it by renaming my quicksave.sfs to persistent.sfs, but now it is acting really buggy.  I can't use map view, textures are incomplete, and the sun is gone.

Edited by CheckYoStaging

I would back up that entire save folder well outside of KSP, then uninstall and reinstall KSP from scratch, and then put that save back. Then go back through and try your original file, then the quicksave, then go back through the save backups folder until you find one that works.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry to bump this but it seems people have problems with this and I didn't notice the bug reported anywhere else.

Not sure if this helps, but this was my scenario and how I fixed it.

I had a payload with tons of decouplers. I blew them all into space, there was about 20 floating debris. I warped a lot and auto saved, even saved a Save Game once.

I messed up a bunch of times, quit and went to work. When I came home the problem highlighted in the OP was happening to me. Once loading from my quicksave I couldn't load a game, go to tracking station, go to space center or anything. What i did was use Load Game > persistant. That brought me back to my original state at my last auto save but in the space centre, for some reason I was able to go to tracking station and delete all debris, then everything was business as usual.

• 2 months later...

Just happened to me, although for a different reason... power cut.

The power went out just as I was about to dock a fuel ship with a vehicle bound for Eve, when the power returned I found that I was unable to load my save.

Renaming the quicksave.sfs to persistent.sfs saved my little guys bacon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.