Hitchhiker Space Station [1.2.2, Modded Save, WIP]

Mods please move it to the Spacecraft Exchange.

Hi, Crafty here! Today I bring you my Orbital Station which currently has these modules/smaller craft:

1 Space Station Core

1 RCS Module

1 Space RCS Tug

Images will be provided in the Spoiler below:

Spoiler

COMING SOON!

Craft File (Space Station Core):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/et6vr9ij4kwnzmp/The Hitchhiker Orbital Station.craft?dl=0

Craft File (Space Station Tug + RCS Module):

COMING SOON!

Mods Required:

Spoiler

RLA Stockalike by Deimos Rast

-Good Luck KSP Forums and hope you enjoy and continue to expand on this magnificent Space Station,

Crafty

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

Any pictures of the RCS module?  I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but perhaps if you set the root part to the docking port, perhaps that would be what you're looking for?

You may need to clarify a bit more.

Ah yes, thats another problem. I haven't gotten said RCS Module built yet...xD

@Slam_Jones I've given you the basic two modules that I want to send up in one launch, but I need a good looking design and that is very hard to come up with due to the amount of restrictions that the stock parts have (I've used alot of the offset tool in my tug, trust me...not to mention the part clipping)

Hope someone out there can help...

Just now, omelaw said:

I wonder why it need a chair... can't we put a octo2 on it and call it a day?

and I don't think Ant is needed for move around a space station. I think RCS Can do the docking thing well (if you Rendezvous it in resonable distance)

The chair is for a kerbal to sit in it (cause Wynaut...if you get the joke) and the Ant is incase I decide I'm too lazy and dump it in orbit for my tug to collect.

But please, how do I attach the thing to my RCS module in a cool fashion xD

few thing in mind...

1. Claw

pro: the things wont need docking port on it

cons : claw is know as kraken summoning

it may look stupid

2. docking jr.

3. KAS things

4. use KIS to slap temp command chair and mono tank on it and put it back after docking

@awfulcraftdesigns
Your tiny tug will be pretty useless. The design is pretty nice but that won't help you for a number of reasons.
First: You don't have any monoprop. Without monoprop the RCS is dead. No fuel, no movement.
Second: You have RCS in only two directions. You can translate up/down and front/aft, but not left/right.
And third: With a single solar panel in only one direction and a single battery you'll soon run out of power. A single RTG will provide you with power no matter the angle or amount of sunlight.

4 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

@awfulcraftdesigns
Your tiny tug will be pretty useless. The design is pretty nice but that won't help you for a number of reasons.
First: You don't have any monoprop. Without monoprop the RCS is dead. No fuel, no movement.
Second: You have RCS in only two directions. You can translate up/down and front/aft, but not left/right.
And third: With a single solar panel in only one direction and a single battery you'll soon run out of power. A single RTG will provide you with power no matter the angle or amount of sunlight.

First of all it has two RLA Stockalike Mini-Monoprop tanks clipped into the Osakr B tank. Secondly, I'm considering switching the battery to RTG but its not optimal in my opinion. So RCS isn't dead

RCS in only two directions is a problem I'll admit that but how do I fix it.

So cha, its not useless since I've done a ton of part clipping that I'm not willing to waste to be honest. I can also switch out the stock RCS Block for one with 5 nozzles so I can translate left and right.

@Tex_NL

4 minutes ago, awfulcraftdesigns said:

First of all it has two RLA Stockalike Mini-Monoprop tanks clipped into the Osakr B tank. Secondly, I'm considering switching the battery to RTG but its not optimal in my opinion. So RCS isn't dead

RCS in only two directions is a problem I'll admit that but how do I fix it.

So cha, its not useless since I've done a ton of part clipping that I'm not willing to waste to be honest. I can also switch out the stock RCS Block for one with 5 nozzles so I can translate left and right.

@Tex_NL

Ah. OK. Since you clipped the tanks inside there was no way for me to know.
Just adding a Place-Anywhere 7 Linear RCS Port on either side should fix your translation shortcomings. Personally I would not replace the battery with an RTG but rather just the solar panel. Despite an RTGs continuous power generation it is only a tiny charge. The battery will provide you with a good amount when you need it and the RTG can recharge it when demand is low.

Just now, Tex_NL said:

Ah. OK. Since you clipped the tanks inside there was no way for me to know.
Just adding a Place-Anywhere 7 Linear RCS Port on either side should fix your translation shortcomings. Personally I would not replace the battery with an RTG but rather just the solar panel. Despite an RTGs continuous power generation it is only a tiny charge. The battery will provide you with a good amount when you need it and the RTG can recharge it when demand is low.

Smart thinking, I'll use the Mini One provided in RLA...and yes I do sneaky clipping...now time to insert the RTG and then you can perhaps propose ways of attaching the tug to the larger 500 Monoprop tanks?

1 minute ago, awfulcraftdesigns said:

and then you can perhaps propose ways of attaching the tug to the larger 500 Monoprop tanks?

For that a bit more information could be required. What exactly are you planning? Do you want to launch them to your station together? Or is the tug already at your station and you want to use it to move the RCS tanks?

If you launch them together it's easy. Tug-seperator-RCS
If the tug is already at your station it's even easier. Add a docking port, dock and move.

But I guess you've painted yourself into a corner by building two craft and now you can't figure out how to load both into the VAB. First load one craft and then load the second with the merge feature in the load menu. Merge will load the second craft in the VAB as if it was a sub-assembly. Now add the second to the first.

1 minute ago, Tex_NL said:

For that a bit more information could be required. What exactly are you planning? Do you want to launch them to your station together? Or is the tug already at your station and you want to use it to move the RCS tanks?

If you launch them together it's easy. Tug-seperator-RCS
If the tug is already at your station it's even easier. Add a docking port, dock and move.

But I guess you've painted yourself into a corner by building two craft and now you can't figure out how to load both into the VAB. First load one craft and then load the second with the merge feature in the load menu. Merge will load the second craft in the VAB as if it was a sub-assembly. Now add the second to the first.

Oh, I'm planning to attach the tug to the RCS by another Juniour Docking Port, and I don't want it looking abnosixously large just to attach a tug, and as I mention previously, I wanted it to be looking sorta cool and a very sleek faring is possible. I know how to load them both into the VAB, its just how do I make them seem to fit together on the space station since personally I'd find it weird to just see two tanks of RCS and a tug attached to it, so personally I'd also taper the end with a normal Clamp-O-Tron since then I'm not losing another docking port if one is already attached if that makes sense?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.