"Homeworld" Mod idea... a number of questions

KerikBalm

So I hope many of you are familiar with the story of the game "Homeworld"

Basically, there's this race living on a barely habitable desert world (mostly desert, the only liquid water is found near the poles) called Kharak. Their myths tell them that they were cast down from Paradise, to Kharak, as a punishment by their god. When they reach roughly 20th/21st century tech levels, biology tells them that they aren't related to most of the life on the planet.

When they advance to spaceflight, they find a debris field in orbit, and recovery of fragments shows the debris is an extremely advanced manufactured composite material... analysis of it causes huge leaps in materials technology. They don't find any larger debris or intact technology in orbit, but one of their satellites detects a massive object buried in the largely unexplored equatorial desert (where temperatures may exceed the boiling point of water in the summer months)... an ancient starship buried in the sand, with an intact fusion reactor, attached hyperspace module, and a stone with engravings showing the location of their true home. They reverse engineer the technology of the ancient starship, and set out to find their true home. "Hi-jinks ensue"

Sooooo...... could we make a mod that sort of recapitulates this idea in KSP? Obviously we skip the hyperdrive part. Move KSC to another less desirable world, and give the player a goal of discovering ancient tech and reaching Kerbin?

We've already got well known mods that "move" KSC from Kerbin to a "less desirable" location (Duna, Laythe, Eve), Duna fits the bill for a desert planet that could in theory be barely habitable.

I've taken what that mod does, and applied it to my "more habitable, Mars with oceans" planet...

But I'd want to do more, to add the following elements:

* players need to find derelict spacecraft on the world to advance the tech tree

* a set of contracts/worlds first records with big rewards for reaching Kerbin with probes/ returning science data/ getting kerbals there

So... my plan is

* turn down the science multipliers so that the player basically cannot get science from the surface/upper atmosphere of the planet.

* Mofidy the tech tree - only allow enough science to be unlocked from reaching and high orbit to get a probe core that can detect anomalies (no liquid fuel engines yet)

* Add an easter-egg/anomoly that unlocks multiple liquid fuel engines and tanks, similar how certain monoliths now unlock tech. I was thinking either the "flying saucer" easter eggs, or a collection of rocket parts, like what you find in the hangar at the island airfield. Also I'd like there to be a preplaced flag with the "Kerbin Mun" image.

* Starting tech would be Junos(the planet would have O2 in the atmosphere), mk1 cockpit, Flea SRBs, basic wings/landing gear/control surfaces/mk16 parachute, ... maybe the 1.25m inline decoupler

* reaching orbit should unlock enough science to get a probe core capable of detecting anomolies, a comm 16 antenna, and solar panels

* it would be extremely impractical to advance further along the tech tree with the available technology *without* locating the derelict rocket parts - its no Hyperdrive, but liquid fuel engines would allow for missions to Kerbin and lots and lots of science and funds.

So... how do I mod contracts? How do I place easter eggs on a planet? How do I have them unlock techs? How do I mod the tech tree? Is anyone interested in such a mod?

So far, all I've got is a decent starting world

QD7heeJ.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.