Relay Network for Duna probe

So I updated to 1.2 KSP.  Now I had a save in 1.1, and had started a Duna probe with lander. The problem is, I only have a Commutron-16 on the probe, so I don't have link back to Kerbin. DSN is level 3, and I just launched a Relay into 16 000 000 m Orbit with HG-5s. My question is, how could I establish a connection with the probe, if  my best relay is the HG-5? Thanks

You're going to need that hg-5 in duna orbit because the communatron won't reach beyond duna's soi, after that you will need one in high kerbin orbit (I think) and that will still give you a narrow window when duna and kerbin are at their closest. 

Another approach could be to launch two/three to an orbit between kerbin and duna, or all of the above at the same time cos relays are cheap to launch amd are definitely an investment for the future. 

If anyone is sitting in front of ksp and can throw some numbers in here please feel free to correct me(I'm not backing down on the future investment bit Tho! :)  .. Pv 

Basic answer is that you can't. The HG5's relay range is tiny.

The more in-depth answer is either to turn off CommNet, so that your Comm16 antenna works again -- or gather a bunch of science, unlock a decent relay antenna, and send it off really quick toward Duna so that it isn't that far behind your probe.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll just "cheat" and turn off the CommNet for a bit. For future missions, how can I be sure that I have a connection when flying to Duna? I've been messing around with a calculator, but it seems to be impossible to find a decent network system :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.