All-Stock Elitism?

OrbitalBuzzsaw

Do you agree that all-stock elitism is an issue?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Is it?

• Yes, it is
    • No, it isn't
    • Other (Please Specify)

1 hour ago, Foxster said:

Those that can do it with stock: Do it. 

Those that aren't smart enough: Resort to mods.

End of. 

Scathing reply at the ready, but uncertain of intent. Possible sarcasm.

Am confused.

This thread is a delight of exploding rails.

Edited by Randazzo

Echoing @Avera9eJoe's comment.

The only times wether someone uses ANY mod is an issue are challenges and making craft available for download. Oh and diagnosing problems. Hang on isn't using a craft made by someone else "cheating"......... if someone wants to feel all smug and superior let them. Enjoy the game. Personally I find a lot of mods open up new depth in the gameplay and present new challenges and avenues of entertainment like (purely a few of the top of my head) KIS/KAS, airships and Buffalo. Currently looking at life support mods (which would actually restrict gameplay) as a means to make me plan missions better (or at all TBH). Mind you it did feel a bit weird playing a completely stock install without Chatterer.

As things are right now, i see no such thing as "all-stock elitism", and as it is now, it doesn't bother most of the community.If said "all-stock elitists" started bragging about their new accomplishments, it would be kinda tolerable.But, if they started impairing or cyberbullying people who use mods, then we would have a problem.Otherwise, "all-stock elitism", in my opinion, is not a thing.

Then again, this a forum, for crying out loud! Reputation points, while yes, are satisfying to gather, it's only virtual and has no real value.

By the way, the video @dangerhamster posted above, describes my feelings perfectly.

Edited by Candlelight
fixed my lousy wording

I used mods in games before. What I found is that, if these are not graphic related, they tend to ruin the original experience. I play with stock parts as a preference. I like the vanilla feel of the game. That being said, I don't care if someone uses mods, but I look for designs that are stock only.

Not elitism, just more vanilla, to the basics. Using Warp Drive to Kerbol is cute, but using ION engines is so hard, which is challenging.

I am currently trying to design a SSTO with rover and mining capabilities and it's really hard. Two weeks later and still I have no working model. And I play for hours a day trying to design that plane. With stock parts. Why? Because I think it can still be done and when I do complete it I will be recognized as the grand master of all KSP game. All will bow to my geeky awesomeness. I'm still studying graphs and aerodynamics because "adding more rockets" seems to only get you so far. I know the rocket equation but I think that SSTO is also about landing so adding more mass will not help with that.

Edited by mystik

2 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

How is this thread even still going?

Everyone needs their chance to explain how they play, how they're comfortable with how they play, and how it doesn't affect anyone else.

8 minutes ago, regex said:

Everyone needs their chance to explain how they play, how they're comfortable with how they play, and how it doesn't affect anyone else.

Basically, almost every fish in the pond came up to the thread-bait, then swam off.

15 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

(I don't know whose point I'm making. You should both assume I support your argument)

Here we see an example of "all stock elitism" countered by "mod elitism".
 Anybody here feel emotionally scarred by reading either? I don't.

Of course... that might just be an example of my "reasonably well- adjusted self esteem" elitism at work :D

Best,
-Slashy

Most of the fun of a game like KSP (for me at least) is to figure out ways to accomplish tasks within a set of rules and limitations. Mods change or outright remove those rules and limitations. If I was just trying to make something that looked pretty I might use some mods, but as for actually playing the game I prefer all-stock. It also really bugs me when I'm looking around for videos and forum posts on how to solve a particular problem and all I can find are suggestions to use modded parts.

The only mods I would install are ones that either purely address aesthetic or usability issues (docking port alignment, KAC, graphical mods, etc.) or add their own rules, limitations and challenges (life support, colonization, RSS, etc.)

On 27 décembre 2016 at 2:47 PM, GoSlash27 said:

Here we see an example of "all stock elitism" countered by "mod elitism".
 Anybody here feel emotionally scarred by reading either? I don't.

Of course... that might just be an example of my "reasonably well- adjusted self esteem" elitism at work :D

Best,
-Slashy

No mod elitism going on here, just making a point that while it is true that some mods make the game easier, others make it harder. Calling a large majority (according to most polls) of PC KSP players "not smart enough" is not justified.

(Also I don't like being indirectly called an idiot)

Edited by Gaarst

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.