Part placement-moving a part inwards

Asthereal

Hi guys,

Forgive me if this question has been posted already, but I cannot seem to find the correct search terms to find my answer online, and I can't find it anywhere in the key bindings documents.

Problem: I am pretty sure there's a way to place parts and move them a tad inwards. I know the buttons for rotation, but I can't find the button combination for pushing the part inside of the part I want to attach it to. I know it should be possible, because I've seen people do it on YouTube, and some of the stock space planes have their landing gear pushed into their adjacent parts.

Can anyone tell me what button to press? Thanks a bunch!

(Perhaps relevant: I play stock KSP on a Windows PC.)

5 hours ago, Asthereal said:

Can anyone tell me what button to press? Thanks a bunch!

Pretty sure you want the Offset Gizmo. While in the editor just press '2' or click on the second button in the top left corner. (the row of four buttons in the top left corner of the graphics window, to the right of the parts list, are the 'gizmos'. They are 'place', 'offset', 'rotate', and 're-root'.) Then click on the part you want to move and drag one of the arrow handles that pop up. If you have angle snap turned off it will move fluidly, if it's on then it will move in steps. 

Also for future reference, this particular sub-forum is for giving tutorials, not asking questions or asking for a tutorial. 

Edited by FullMetalMachinist

16 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Pretty sure you want the Offset Gizmo. While in the editor just press '2' or click on the second button in the top left corner. (the row of four buttons in the top left corner of the graphics window, to the right of the parts list, are the 'gizmos'. They are 'place', 'offset', 'rotate', and 're-root'.) Then click on the part you want to move and drag one of the arrow handles that pop up. If you have angle snap turned off it will move fluidly, if it's on then it will move in steps. 

Also for future reference, this particular sub-forum is for giving tutorials, not asking questions or asking for a tutorial. 

Hi!

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. :)
Offset wasn't a very natural keyword for me to try, I guess.

PS. I just started a topic in the gameplay questions and tutorials forum. I don't recall placing it in the tutorials section. Might have been a mod who put it here, might have been me doing so accidentally. But anyway, if it's wrongly placed now, mods are welcome to move it to wherever it belongs.

• 6 years later...

Well,  look at slow motion me,  I too was searching for the ( part place thingy ) , and only just ended up here......@ Offset Gizmo.....  now I just need to know how to use it, because it looks like something I really should know what it's called and would be really useful. I must admit that I have only recently seen it being used on a few user streams on twitch and then kicked myself for not knowing what it  does and why did I never use it, yes, I need help.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.