Greetings!

Ohm is Futile

Hello fellow Kerbonauts!

Space and science enthusiast here, been playing KSP for years and only registered on the forums just now. I visited a few times and always found it helpful.

So why join now? Well, I'm an undergrad student and on my way to becoming an ESL teacher. Pretty far from orbit one might say, but I just love learning and teaching and I love KSP so I decided I'd like to mix both. Hence, I started making videos about KSP. Basically, I'd like your opinion, comments, feedback, suggestions and general appreciation for my KSP content on YouTube since I thought a lot of the stuff from the wiki (videos anyway) is getting rather old and a lot of YouTubers have moved on to heavily modded playthroughs.

So you can find my channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjzJXurqJJWQB9fNll2W_w

Thanks for having me and see you all around!

Something that is always appreciated is, for one, very simplified detailed and easy to understand explanations of game mechanics. For example, rendezvous and docking are things people struggle with a lot. Break down the process so anyone could understand it and use words/terms that are in every average persons vocabulary. 

(No disrespect to the man, he is a Legend) Scott Manley's tutorials are episodic. If I want to find his explanation of docking, I have to search through episodes of his beginners guide series to find the tutorial I'm looking for. In other words, don't put a docking tutorial in the middle of a video called "KSP Tutorial Ep.5", put it in a video called "KSP 1.2.2: Docking Tutorial" 

IMO... I wouldn't call them "lets plays" either. I would start a youtube playlist that included videos such as... 

"KSP 1.2.2: Docking Tutorial"

"KSP 1.2.2: How To Get Into Orbit"

"KSP 1.2.2: Controls Explained"

"KSP 1.2.2: How To Land On Mun"

"KSP 1.2.2: Delta-V Explained" 

Etc.

Good luck, @Ohm is Futile and welcome to The Forum :cool:

I know there are some legends around here and on YouTube, but it has been a while since any one of them have posted. So indeed no disrespect to Mr. Manley, but I will split the tutorials from the let's play and make some updated, dedicated tutorials.

Thanks for the welcome and suggestion!

Hello, @Ohm is Futile, and welcome abaord!

That's a pretty awesome name.

Like @Gianni1122 said, tutorials are always helpful. As more advanced players, we don't always remember how hard it was to do something the first time, so we leave out a lot of detail. Even explaining what burning in the different directions on the navball does could be helpful.

On 12/20/2016 at 10:52 PM, Dman979 said:

Even explaining what burning in the different directions on the navball does could be helpful.

Very much this... When I first started, I had to keep a printout that explained what the navball symbols meant and did. I know now but still sometimes need to stop and think whether I should use :antinormal::normal: or:antiradial::radial: :unsure:

@Ohm is Futile Also tutorials for some of the popular more complex mods like KIS or Infernal Robotics etc. could help even some of the experienced players.

On 12/20/2016 at 10:52 PM, Dman979 said:

Hello, @Ohm is Futile, and welcome abaord!

That's a pretty awesome name.

Hehehe, thanks but I suspect a lot more people will get the reference here than in some other communities.

2 minutes ago, Gianni1122 said:

Very much this... When I first started, I had to keep a printout that explained what the navball symbols meant and did. I know now but still sometimes need to stop and think whether I should use :antinormal::normal: or:antiradial::radial: :unsure:

@Ohm is Futile Also tutorials for some of the popular more complex mods like KIS or Infernal Robotics etc. could help even some of the experienced players.

Navball for sure, but I'm not a big mod player, in fact I very much like to stick to visual enhancements and KER. Admittedly, using KER to its fullest is tutorial-worthy. I may move on to mods later, but I after reading your post (and noticing marcus house's tutorial series) I am probably going to stick to short, to-the-point and specific tutorials and just a regular ol' let's play on the side.

At the very least, I want to conquer the majority of the Kerbol system before moving on to mods, because despite my experience with various aspects of the game I've always been distracted away from my KSP careers (updates, life, other games...) before going around most of the celestial bodies and it is taunting me.

As for the tutorials, I'm thinking about all the topics you mentioned, except maybe the controls, that would bore me to hell and back I think and the wiki is just fine, although I may cover some of the controls indirectly through other tutorials. Also, rendez-vous, plane changes, getting/tweaking encounters, designing complex vehicles, planning missions, gravity assists, explaining some parts (I did engines, but honestly I kinda want to remake that video already) and all that I'd like to cover.