What's this spider? [Warning: actual spider]

RainDreamer

https://vid.me/ijAR

It's a rather interesting one. Golden and constantly tapping it's abdomen. Seems to be a hunter type instead of trapper since there is no nearby webs and with how it reacts to approaching ants by tracking them. Didn't see it attacks though. 

It's in Asia but I can't remember where exactly I took this video.

*watches video*

Umm...I can't give you an answer... Wait, you think I'm s-scared to flooping death of spiders? N-nonsense! Now if you will excuse m-me, I've got to..umm...make some popcorn?-YES, I have to make some p-popcorn for..umm...s-some daily, um, Kerbal exploding! Yes that's-s it! Okay then b-bye now! *Jumps out the window*

Spoiler

But in all honesty, I have no idea what the heck that thing is. It's body is similar in size to some spiders I've found before, albeit fatter an 100% more yellow.

Hard to tell for sure (the video's not super high resolution), but if I'm seeing that right, yes, it's definitely a hunting spider and not a web-weaver.

The giveaway?  Those two big, forward-facing eyes.

Spoiler

f2x5j6t.png

Spiders have eight eyes, but web-weavers don't actually need to see much (vision isn't their primary sense), so their eyes tend to be small, and point in various directions for maximum visual field.

However, hunting spiders actually use their vision to stalk prey, which means that two of their eyes will generally be a lot bigger than the others (so that they can have actual lens/retina imaging, like ours), pointing forwards in parallel (so they have binocular vision for depth perception, also like ours).  This latter ability is very important-- if you need to be able to pounce on prey in order to eat, depth perception is crucial.  (It's why predators in general, like hawks and cats, have forward-facing eyes, rather than the side-mounted eyes of prey animals such as pigeons and mice.)

Anyway, "two big forward-facing eyes" is generally a distinguishing characteristic of hunting spiders.

If, of course, I'm correctly interpreting those two dots as eyes and they're not just some kind of dark markings on the anterior cephalothorax.  :)

Edited by Frybert
Saving some people from terror.

On 22/12/2016 at 5:23 PM, VaPaL said:

You remember the country? It would help a lot. Or at least what part of Asia.

Also, it will take you some time, but you can check here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Spiders_of_Asia

South East Asia, not an island country.

I wonder if I discovered a new species. :)

Edited by RainDreamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.