Explore the Mun

I'm trying to do the contract "Explore the Mun". I've got a green tick for the first part, "Fly by the Mun" but it won't tick off "Gather scientific data from the Mun". I did lots of experiments orbiting the Mun and it didn't work so I thought maybe I had to land on the Mun, but now I'm on the surface and it still won't work. Any ideas?

Edited by liquidmetalrob

6 minutes ago, liquidmetalrob said:

Oh OK, I have to actually transmit/recover the data, thanks. Can it be data from the Mun's orbit or does it have to be from the surface?

It'll say if it has to be from the surface. I thought it said if it didn't too or at least implied it. "From Mun's Sphere of Influence" or something like that. But anyway, if it wants it from something more specific, it'll say so.

14 hours ago, Lunar Sea said:

The contract should tell you specifically, eg from space around the Mun or from the Mun's surface

I think its, enter target SOI, transmit and return science from space around target, enter orbit, land and retrieve science from surface. 
So you need to get science from both space and surface, however as you need the science this should be automatically. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.