stock mun launch challenge

this challenge is where you land a base on the mun using only stock parts, I've always wondered why you can't build and launch a spacecraft from another planet or moon. the challenge is to launch a base (several launches allowed) to the mun or minmus that has all the basic parts of a rocket and a way to assemble them however you like, then build a rocket on the kerbin moon of your choice, then launch and retrieve it on kerbin. even better, make several rockets and do the same thing.

good luck

:)

Edited by rockets-don't-make-toast

Hi! I have a question. If you take the parts to the Mun in a cargo plane, then land on the Mun with a small descent stage and build it on the Mun. Could you then fly it back to the cargo plane and use that to return? Or do you have to return using the rocket you have built? Thanks. 

Fire

16 hours ago, Rath said:

Docking ports, Simon.

exactly.

15 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Hi! I have a question. If you take the parts to the Mun in a cargo plane, then land on the Mun with a small descent stage and build it on the Mun. Could you then fly it back to the cargo plane and use that to return? Or do you have to return using the rocket you have built? Thanks. 

Fire

you can only use the rocket you assembled on the mun (or minmus) to return, you would probably have to use docking ports to assemble the craft.

Ahhhh. So Duna is probably out of the question...

Fire

Edit: Another question: Do you have to build a base there or can you just take the rocket there in parts and assemble it on the Mun?

Thanks.

Edited by Firemetal

45 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Ahhhh. So Duna is probably out of the question...

Fire

Edit: Another question: Do you have to build a base there or can you just take the rocket there in parts and assemble it on the Mun?

Thanks.

How about assembling a rocket on the surface of mun and then traveling to duna (or somewhere even further) with it? :D

On 12/24/2016 at 5:58 AM, Firemetal said:

That would be cool. And easy because it doesn't take much to escape Kerbin's SOI from the Mun's SOI. So it would be easier than a normal Duna mission but hard to assemble.

Fire

when I say mun I mean both mun and minmus.

you have to leave at least 1 part on each body you visit. you can launch several rockets to the mun to construct another rocket to launch to another planet or moon. you can launch several (construction) spacecraft to the next planet/moon but it has to be from the previous planet/moon. you can do this however many times you like. of course you can make it harder how you please but stick to the basic you have to launch spacecraft from previous celestial body please. 

good luck:)

I made a start on this then wondered if I was doing it right. 

I have a craft that has just three sections, joined with docking ports. But the top section has three parts to it (capsule, RTG, chute). Is that OK or must every part be separate? Would be quite a bit harder if so. 

I think a better way to phrase this would be:

Launch 2 or more rockets to the Mun or Minimus carrying a payload. All payloads must be joined together on the Mun and then flown back to Kerbin using only the parts which are part of the payload. The entire constructed item must successfully land on Kerbin's Surface.

Edited by Carl

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2016 at 1:51 AM, Foxster said:

I made a start on this then wondered if I was doing it right. 

I have a craft that has just three sections, joined with docking ports. But the top section has three parts to it (capsule, RTG, chute). Is that OK or must every part be separate? Would be quite a bit harder if so. 

you only have to manually assemble structural parts. like the parts you can use as the root part when you make a new vehicle in the vab.

On 12/26/2016 at 5:30 AM, Foxster said:

Here my attempt: http://imgur.com/a/QR1ae

Scroll the bottom of the album first and the story goes upwards. 

pretty good

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.