No space challenge

Luch

Let's play KSP the most wrong way.
Imagine what will happen if new Kerbals' leader decide that all they need is to stay at Kerbin and work hard. The space is prohibited!

Goals list:
Full tech tree.
Full KSC upgrade.
10 millions of funds.
100 kerbals.

Mods: Stock. Informational mods allowed.
Physics: No cheats. Don't use ladder bug. Don't use "landing legs cannon".
Difficulty: Normal or harder.

Main rule: Never complete "launch our first vessel" contract.

Normal mode: Mild sanctions. Never leave the planet (no suborbital or orbital flight allowed).
Hard mode: Closing of the space program. Never leave the planet. No lift-off using engines (lift-off using decouplers, stock electroprop and wheels is allowed). Using engine-powered rovers is OK.
Super mode: The prohibition to fly even in a dream. No wings, no engines, no decouplers. But if you invented wingless engineless plane, you may use it for sure.

Ultimate goals after the challenge completion which will confirm that you are loyal to the regime:
1. Underwater railway.
2. The statue of the Great Kerbal Leader (basically made of ore tanks).
3. The Great Floating Temple (huge tanker with a rich skyscraper in the center).

This video should probably help you to understand the tactics.

Edited by Luch

14 minutes ago, rkarmark said:

there isn't enought sceience on kerbin to complete the tech tree, so that means this challenge is impossibol

You may use mobile labs, so you can open tech tree. (if you do that correctly, you'll open science modules at first).

Edited by Luch

Even then, science labs aren't a magical science piñata. You actually need data from somewhere, and this somewhere obeys to the same rules as more conventional ways to gain science. (think as if you recover the data, minus the "recover" part)

I think you could grind your science points at a horrendeously slow speed if you were to complete at least some contracts based on kerbin ("Test X while landed at/flying over Kerbin), but still, I guess it would be very, very tedious, and anyway I don't think those contracts appear before "launch your first vessel".

TL;DR: I think the challenge is indeed impossible.

A variant, though not as impossible would be this: Do the whole carreer while saying "Screw you!" to both of Kerbin's moons, and collect no science from them.

45 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

TL;DR: I think the challenge is indeed impossible.

A variant, though not as impossible would be this: Do the whole carreer while saying "Screw you!" to both of Kerbin's moons, and collect no science from them.

That would be quite easy since reaching duna only takes a few hundred m/s more dv than reaching mun. Plus you can aerocapture and land with (at least almost) zero dv so round trip to surface could actually be cheaper in terms of dv than mun landing...

22 minutes ago, tseitsei89 said:

That would be quite easy since reaching duna only takes a few hundred m/s more dv than reaching mun. Plus you can aerocapture and land with (at least almost) zero dv so round trip to surface could actually be cheaper in terms of dv than mun landing...

I think what MinimalMinmus meant was not doing Kerbin's moons nor anything beyond them. The OP's idea was completing the usual Career goals but without going into space. Then it veered off into "no launches" which, having grinded that angle in past games, I'd say is waaay too restrictive.

Something more like limiting yourself to staying within the Upper Atmosphere (not even "In Space (Low)") would fit the original spirit and be at least somewhat plausible -- haven't run the numbers (and not going to).

1 hour ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Even then, science labs aren't a magical science piñata.

Administration building allows you to convert funds into science, btw.

51 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Have you tried and completed this yourself?

I completed the most important part of this challenge. I will make videos with the proof.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.