[request] F and G class asteroids

Sharpy

1 minute ago, Sharpy said:

1.62^2=2.7225 so two classes up seems to be it. Gonna wait some time for new asteroids to spawn - while radius changes dynamically, mass seems to be assigned at spawning time (basing on radius) and saved. The fixed patch got size in check, but the asteroid remained as heavy as before.

Allow me to correct the above a bit, could be I wasn't clear before, radius goes with the cubic root (not the square root) of volume. 1.65^3 = ~4.5.

Can't tell about the patch; but certainly each asteroid when discovered has a size assigned (not exact mass, that is determined only after it enters the bubble if I'm right)

22 minutes ago, diomedea said:

Allow me to correct the above a bit, could be I wasn't clear before, radius goes with the cubic root (not the square root) of volume. 1.65^3 = ~4.5.

Not volume. I have no direct control over volume. Class.

I can set radius multiplier. So, how much larger radius does class G have than class E?

@Sharpy, given that insight about density being too low, would there be a way to use MM to increase the mass without changing the size of the asteroids? The previous MM config you shared increases the size.

This may give us more "realistic asteroids"

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleAsteroid]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleAsteroid]
	{
		@density *= 33.3333333333333  // Stock asteroids will have density of 1.0
		maxRadiusMultiplier = 5.0  //Default is 1.25 so up to four times larger
	}

}

This is Roverdude's ART patch for the asteroids.

On 1/6/2017 at 6:03 PM, Sharpy said:

{
	@MODULE[ModuleAsteroid]
	{
		maxRadiusMultiplier = 5.0  //Default is 1.25 so up to four times larger
	}

}

This is Roverdude's ART patch for the asteroids.

I've been toying with a mix of your and @RoverDude's configs. When I tried yours, which increases size, I found a lot of issues with the collision boxes. Maybe it was just bad luck, but in the half dozen encounters I tried it appeared the the collision boxes were less accurate relative to the asteroid skin. I'm thinking that increasing the size just exacerbated the collision box issues the asteroids already had. 

Here's the config that I've settled on:

Spoiler

{
    @MODULE[ModuleAsteroid]
    {
        @density *= 1  // Stock asteroids will have density of 1.0
        maxRadiusMultiplier = 5 //Default is 0.95 
        minRadiusMultiplier = 5  //Default is 1.25
    }

@density *= 1  // Stock asteroids will have density of 1.0
}

This config gave me a class A @ 500 tons, Class B @ 2400 tons and a Class C @ 11K tons. Of course there's a random factor, but if these are somewhat representative, it would make Class A and B manageable, but anything larger a real challenge.

As a side question...do ALL asteroids use the same model? 

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

I've been toying with a mix of your and @RoverDude's configs. When I tried yours, which increases size, I found a lot of issues with the collision boxes. Maybe it was just bad luck, but in the half dozen encounters I tried it appeared the the collision boxes were less accurate relative to the asteroid skin. I'm thinking that increasing the size just exacerbated the collision box issues the asteroids already had.

[...]

This config gave me a class A @ 500 tons, Class B @ 2400 tons and a Class C @ 11K tons. Of course there's a random factor, but if these are somewhat representative, it would make Class A and B manageable, but anything larger a real challenge.

As a side question...do ALL asteroids use the same model? 

Asteroids have their collider much simpler than the actual model. The discrepancy is directly proportional to the asteroid size, so obviously larger asteroids will have it worse.

By giving the asteroids the same min. and max. size, you've removed the random factor :) The randomness is still in ore content (some 70-90%) but not in size.

All asteroids are procedurally generated, you have a 'seed' in your save file which decides what is the asteroid looks like. Regardless, they all look very similar. There's a different layout of bumps, holes, hills and ridges, but they all have bumps, holes, hills and ridges, and it's quite hard to tell them apart just by looks if you don't remember the specific layout (and why would you do that?)

4 hours ago, Sharpy said:

Asteroids have their collider much simpler than the actual model. The discrepancy is directly proportional to the asteroid size, so obviously larger asteroids will have it worse.

By giving the asteroids the same min. and max. size, you've removed the random factor :) The randomness is still in ore content (some 70-90%) but not in size.

All asteroids are procedurally generated, you have a 'seed' in your save file which decides what is the asteroid looks like. Regardless, they all look very similar. There's a different layout of bumps, holes, hills and ridges, but they all have bumps, holes, hills and ridges, and it's quite hard to tell them apart just by looks if you don't remember the specific layout (and why would you do that?)

hmm..thanks for that tip. I've spent the last few hours messing with the numbers, but haven't quite understood how they affect the final size. part of the problem is that I only take a few random samples with each change - a A or 2, a C or 2 and a couple of E's. 

Can you explain how the various settings work?

I'm assuming "Density" increases mass, but not size, while the other two limit min and max sizes. Although I'm confused that the default Max is 0.95 while Min is 1.25

Edited by Tyko

4 hours ago, Tyko said:

hmm..thanks for that tip. I've spent the last few hours messing with the numbers, but haven't quite understood how they affect the final size. part of the problem is that I only take a few random samples with each change - a A or 2, a C or 2 and a couple of E's. 

Can you explain how the various settings work?

I'm assuming "Density" increases mass, but not size, while the other two limit min and max sizes. Although I'm confused that the default Max is 0.95 while Min is 1.25

Sizes are radius multipliers, range between smallest and largest of given class. I'm not sure what the baseline is but the mass is asteroid volume (dependent on third power of radius) times density. So, Radius is the original "generated/regulated" value (this is what 'asteroid spawner' creates basing on config and random number), and the volume and mass is calculated from that.

Since we know mass is related to  e^(1.5 x class ), but mass is a derived value, uh... the formula for spawned radius will be rather nasty.

• 2 years later...
On 1/14/2017 at 6:10 AM, Sharpy said:

Sizes are radius multipliers, range between smallest and largest of given class. I'm not sure what the baseline is but the mass is asteroid volume (dependent on third power of radius) times density. So, Radius is the original "generated/regulated" value (this is what 'asteroid spawner' creates basing on config and random number), and the volume and mass is calculated from that.

Since we know mass is related to  e^(1.5 x class ), but mass is a derived value, uh... the formula for spawned radius will be rather nasty.

Has this idea been made into a mod ? I want bigger asteroids myself ! 

• 1 year later...
On 12/25/2016 at 9:26 AM, Sharpy said:

Reading the files of ART, and KSP API if we sacrifice class A and B (I never really found any use for these),

{
	@MODULE[ModuleAsteroid]
	{
		maxRadiusMultiplier = 19.08 //Default is 0.95 
		minRadiusMultiplier = 25.1  //Default is 1.25
	}
}

this should simply bump all the asteroids two classes up size-wise. "New class C" would be "Old class E".  New class E would be  around 17 to 76 thousand tons. Further testing required.

How can I find these parameters?

9 hours ago, CarefreeFish said:

How can I find these parameters?

This is a module manager patch, which will modify the values without actually changing the files. Download the mod, and copy/paste the text into an empty text file in your GameData folder. Make sure that the file extension is .cfg!

NEW IDEA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Z CLASS ASTEROIDS                         

10 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

This is a module manager patch, which will modify the values without actually changing the files. Download the mod, and copy/paste the text into an empty text file in your GameData folder. Make sure that the file extension is .cfg!

Got it. Thanks very much!

13 hours ago, Souptime said:

NEW IDEA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Z CLASS ASTEROIDS                         

That’s Gilly.

NEW IDEA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Z Z  P L U S  A S T E R O I D S

On 7/8/2020 at 12:09 PM, Souptime said:

NEW IDEA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Z Z  P L U S  A S T E R O I D S

That’s Dres Tylo.

^
              |
              |
What’s a Dres?

NEW IDEA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Z Z Z  P L U S  A S T E R O I D S

• 4 months later...

I have copernicus and sigma installed at 1.10 and redux. Asteroids with signatures from F to I are generated on the map by themselves. But when they approach, they have the mass and dimensions of the E class. Who saw this? And if somewhere in these mods new dimensions are already laid, how to correct the Phys. generation to match the size of the class.
Edited by redrem

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.