KSP Weekly: The KSP Team wishes you Happy Holidays o/

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_oinw53uBhv1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly, everyone! The year is almost over and in many aspects this has been an interesting year to say the least. Sometimes it is difficult, as well as overwhelming to grasp everything that has happened and is currently going on in and around the world. But now, during this season of giving, let us take time to slow down and enjoy the simple things. May this wonderful time of the year touch our hearts in a special way and let’s look into the future with optimism, with the will to do things better and be kind to one another. From the bottom of our hearts we want to wish you all a Merry Christmas together with much happiness today and throughout the New Year! Now without further ado, let’s begin!

Let’s start with the Quality Assurance front, where this week’s tasks have involved lots of localization testing and planning, so you could say that we’ve been brushing up on our Polyglot skills.

Similarly, programmers have also been involved with localization, looking at the Site name generation and how the generated names may suit other Languages. We’re becoming quite the linguists with all the research and work we’ve been doing, we never know what language/character set we will get greeted in each morning.

Here’s an example of how the localization effort is going:

tumblr_inline_oinw5aa9WL1rr2wit_540.png

In the past edition of KSP Weekly we told you about the struts and fuel line parts that had been updated with a new model that allows you to select both ends of the strut to relocate them and to tweak them individually. Here’s a gif to illustrate how it works now.

Moreover, the secret designing, artistic and development stuff continues at an excellent pace and it’s looking pretty awesome, but is still a secret, so you’ll need to be patient… for now.

On other news, and as some of you might already know, Kerbal Space Program was selected as a finalist for the 2016 Steam Awards! To be specific, we were nominated for The Boom Boom Award and on December 30th at 10am Pacific, the award will be presented on Steam for final voting, so cast your ballots. All of the winners of the Steam Awards will be revealed on New Year’s Eve. Let’s make this happen!

Throughout the past week we celebrated the KriSPmas Streaming Event, tons of gifts were given away to the community (which are on their way now). We had a blast and we hope that everyone who joined us did too. We would also like to give a HUGE shoutout to all the streamers who delighted us with their KriSPmas spirit and crafts! We invite you to check out their channels and content: Akinesis Gaming , Avera9eJoe , BagelRabbit , LupiDragon , Million_Lights , Red Munchkin Gaming , RocketPCGaming , TheBeardyPenguin and TheReadPanda .

Finally, we want to congratulate the winners of the Kerbal Kalendar initiative and let you know that we have made all the collectibles available for everyone to enjoy! We invite you to keep sharing pictures of  your cutouts. You can get them here!

That’s it for this week. We will take a small break and come back on January 2nd, so next week there won’t be a KSP Weekly. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news!

Happy launchings!

PS: If you haven’t gotten a christmas present yet, you may find Kerbal Space Program at a discounted price on the KSP Store, Steam and other third party resellers.

20 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

Here’s a gif to illustrate how it works now.

Aww, so in mode 1 (part mode) you can't pick up just one side? By doing so you pick up the entire strut? After some though I can see why (it'd make it harder to copy or throw away the strut) but I imagined picking up one end and placing it onto another part.

Kinda wish the struts got a new mode, but at least the mechanic is good.

One of the best things that could be done is making the struts circular so that the rotation (if you attach between different angles on parts) does not matter or create weird looks/shapes.  Still, its alot better then we have had up to this point and i think itll be a positive change.

While it doesnt seem likely, im still keeping my fingers crossed for SOME sort of art pass on the game, its in dire need of that above any and all new features...

Edited by panzer1b

39 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

Moreover, the secret designing, artistic and development stuff continues at an excellent pace and it’s looking pretty awesome, but is still a secret, so you’ll need to be patient… for now.

This better be a GasPlanet2 and moons (Or Better Planet Visuals In Stock (or Rocket Parts Overhaul)). As long as this actually exists, I am very much hyped (though with doubts on whether it is something grand or not).

Edit: Look in the .gif at the widgets. The game now tells you whether it is set to local or absolute rotation or translation mode!

Edited by LaytheDragon

So yeah. Localisation going on and that's about it. Well some secret stuff which nothing ever has been communicated about, so I am highly sceptical. Why being secretive? Is there a need to do so? Something the customer might dislike? As long as I do have no further information I am forced to assume that features are being developed which I will dislike, so I am not sharing any euphoria. ..

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

In the past edition of KSP Weekly we told you about the struts and fuel line parts that had been updated with a new model that allows you to select both ends of the strut to relocate them and to tweak them individually. Here’s a gif to illustrate how it works now.

I think I like how it seems to work. We'll see how it turns out.

I want to repeat the ignored question of last week (it's becoming a trend), whether the disproportionate drag caused by the strut and fuel line ends is being resolved, or if we can expect it to essentially double with the new version of struts - since the 2nd end appears to be basically the same thing as the 1st.

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

My response to this will remain a secret... for now.

Edited by swjr-swis

ok, one question? are you going to get people who are native speakers in Q&A for localisation? I am asking this because I am a russian native-speaker and the translation on screenshot that you are showed us not horrible but far from ok, starting from title.

2 hours ago, something said:

Why being secretive? Is there a need to do so?

Well, if things don't go perfectly, you have a mob of angry customers on your hands. I'm not thrilled by the secrecy, but I understand the need for it, and I'm OK with it.

1 hour ago, Volodyuka said:

ok, one question? are you going to get people who are native speakers in Q&A for localisation? I am asking this because I am a russian native-speaker and the translation on screenshot that you are showed us not horrible but far from ok, starting from title.

That sounds like a good idea. @Badie? Also, Volodyuka, what does the translation say?

41 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Well, if things don't go perfectly, you have a mob of angry customers on your hands. I'm not thrilled by the secrecy, but I understand the need for it, and I'm OK with it.

Although I hate the secrecy I see what you mean. 

Yep, that russian translation needs several corrections. The title is especially misleading. If it was done by a russian speaker, then he definitely lacks the knowledge of technical aero engineering terms.

Russian is a very complex language and without a russian speaker you're bound to make mistakes in the translation. You can convey the meaning, but without proper words it won't sound right. Dictionaries don't give any clue about word connotations, in russian almost every word has them and only native speakers know how and when to use them right.

Edited by Enceos

I've just come to the sad realization that KSP weekly is now boringly pointless to read. All good things must come to an end. To SQUAD, and my fellow forum KSP'ers, *Salute*... It's been a wonderful ride. If things ever pick up again, I'll be back! Take care!

Edited by Talavar

4 hours ago, Dman979 said:

That sounds like a good idea. @Badie? Also, Volodyuka, what does the translation say?

The title says, "Дыхание", which stands for breathing, but only in living things. I don't quite know if there is a corresponding term in the Russian language, but there are terms like "воздушно-реактивные двигатели" - air-breathing engines, or "воздухозаборники" - air intakes, that both would make much more sense in that context.

Then there is the text. It feels like there are some layout issues devs are struggling with as sentences are often just cut off half way and make no sense. And as for the texts themselves, they read like they were translated by someone who sort of knows Russian but is very inexperienced in translation. English sentence structure is mimicked, predicates lack objects where they need them, etc. Some editing would go a very long way.

The struts look good, though as suggested above circular end plates could be a good idea.

And yes, getting 'native' speakers to check the localisation text is a good idea too.

As for the 'secrecy' I think it is a necessary evil.  Plans, ideas and details evolve and change (sometimes by a lot) as a natural and essential part of any design process.  Releasing images or details prematurely can often ultimately end up being 'false' information, even if it's accurate at the time it's released, and KSP is not short of examples of this.  So it makes sense to keep stuff under wraps until finalised unless specific feedback is wanted.

10 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Kinda wish the struts got a new mode, but at least the mechanic is good.

One of the best things that could be done is making the struts circular so that the rotation (if you attach between different angles on parts) does not matter or create weird looks/shapes.  Still, its alot better then we have had up to this point and i think itll be a positive change.

While it doesnt seem likely, im still keeping my fingers crossed for SOME sort of art pass on the game, its in dire need of that above any and all new features...

They did! See the gif,

guys the new struts look amazing! Great work. I cannot wait to make some awesome shapes with them. 

Thank you! 

8 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I think I like how it seems to work. We'll see how it turns out.

I want to repeat the ignored question of last week (it's becoming a trend), whether the disproportionate drag caused by the strut and fuel line ends is being resolved, or if we can expect it to essentially double with the new version of struts - since the 2nd end appears to be basically the same thing as the 1st

Very good point, I was thinking the same thing. Some clarity from squad on this would be nice. Don't hold your breath though. 

14 hours ago, SQUAD said:

No matter what new system or parts or equipments come out. I'm looking forward it.

Happy Christmas and Happy New Year, for developers and all over the universe!

4 hours ago, KerbMav said:

Ah yes. Translations done with dictionairies.

I remember that one game setup menu:

"Wählen gesunde Karte"

Select soundcard

"Nicht genug Weltraum auf ihre harte fährt"

Not enough space on your harddrive

Truth be told, Google Translate has gotten better at German-English translation lately, depending on the type of text you feed it. It still does some silly mistakes but the results are still very impressive when compared to the English-Russian language pair.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.