WORKING Kraken Drive

Way back in the old version of KSP, there was an idea to build a machine to harness the power of the Kraken to fly at extreme speeds with 0 fuel of electricity input. This was the Kraken Drive. After version 0.90, almost no versions of this machine still worked, with phantom accelerations being almost completely stopped in the game. However, I have just build my own version in KSP 1.2.1 that works. It's current acceleration isn't winning any speed records, by I hope to increase its acceleration 5 fold in the next few days. I am using a Klaw to make a rotating assembly on the back I call a PAC (Phantom Acceleration Capacitor) that causes the large landing gears to contract and expand in rapid succession. The small gears keep the PAC moving.

Pics or it didn't happen:

http://imgur.com/a/BabeH

Current Maximum Force: 0.002g

Edited by MajorLeaugeRocketScience

20 minutes ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

I hope to increase its acceleration 5 fold in the next few days.

A bit more ambition is warranted. For your consideration:

https://kerbalx.com/Eladdv/K-Drive-122

https://kerbalx.com/Eladdv/Kraken-Drive-8-0

79g is within the realm of possibilities according to the screenshots.

I remember how excited I was when the Kraken Drive was found to work again in the 1.1 prerelease. I began designing ships that would use them to explore, but only a short time later they fixed the bug. Do let's hope we can get the Kraken Drive to function well before Squad patches it into oblivion. It might even be worth trying the old Kraken Drive assembly from 0.25-ish to see if it still works.

Edited by GregroxMun

4 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

A bit more ambition is warranted. For your consideration:

https://kerbalx.com/Eladdv/K-Drive-122

https://kerbalx.com/Eladdv/Kraken-Drive-8-0

79g is within the realm of possibilities according to the screenshots.

As far as I can tell, a Klaw K-Drive has never been attempted with any acceleration (Since 1.0), so I don't know if it will be possible at all to increase

Edited by MajorLeaugeRocketScience

1 hour ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

As far as I can tell, a Klaw K-Drive has never been attempted with any acceleration (Since 1.0), so I don't know if it will be possible at all to increase

It's not a Klaw K-drive, the Klaw is there to make it re-dockable. You are very much invited to test it yourself! Those were made in 1.2.2

1 hour ago, GregroxMun said:

There are working 1.2.2 K-Drives after all? Terrific!

Yes, they are quite easy to make now.

What? Just because its physics based doesn't mean it cannot exist without glitches. It is the level of complexity which increases the likelihood of bugs - no matter whether it is about physics or not. You're basically implying that any scientific simulation is unable to be free of glitches, which is not correct.

Back on topic - is there any summary somewhere of how these K-drives operate i.e. which kind of glitch they're exploiting? That would be pretty helpful in combining several glutches into one enhanced K-drive... I know a certain S. Manley sometimes spoke about some funny non-physical methods of propulsion within the limits of KSP - but other than that I am basically lacking any information...

3 hours ago, something said:

What? Just because its physics based doesn't mean it cannot exist without glitches. It is the level of complexity which increases the likelihood of bugs - no matter whether it is about physics or not. You're basically implying that any scientific simulation is unable to be free of glitches, which is not correct.

Back on topic - is there any summary somewhere of how these K-drives operate i.e. which kind of glitch they're exploiting? That would be pretty helpful in combining several glutches into one enhanced K-drive... I know a certain S. Manley sometimes spoke about some funny non-physical methods of propulsion within the limits of KSP - but other than that I am basically lacking any information...

I don't think anyone knows for certain. Best guess is that it is related to the krakensbane bugfix that was added ages ago to kill the kraken.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.