[1.10.x] Stockalike Mk1 Open cockpit ( 7 nov 2020 update - NEW PARTS )

NESD

BTW, when making an SSTO with this, the best method is to attach radiators directly behind the part to cool it and your kerbal.

If you want to you can connect the radiators at a right angle on the back of the part and move them out to proper placement  for higher effectiveness.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 1:08 PM, Beetlecat said:

Wait.. the guns "worked" ? -- was this a BDArmory add-on?

The BDArmory function is considered optional in the mod.  I did not test it.  I presume that if you nab a current BDArmory  Continued version below those will work too.

Edited by Ruedii
prune multi-posting (Stupid quick-reply box is not working right).

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 1:08 PM, Beetlecat said:

Wait.. the guns "worked" ? -- was this a BDArmory add-on?

Yes the guns require BDArmory.

You need an updated BDArmory version (which is available) to get them working again.  I haven't tested them myself.

All other functions work perfectly, BTW.

As a note, the gun targeting animations have been broken for a long time, long before  1.5.x.  Still, as far as everything else on the gun goes, it works fine.

(Sorry about the double post, I provided more info anyway.)

Edited by Ruedii

16 hours ago, Ruedii said:

Yes the guns require BDArmory.

You need an updated BDArmory version (which is available) to get them working again.  I haven't tested them myself.

All other functions work perfectly, BTW.

As a note, the gun targeting animations have been broken for a long time, long before  1.5.x.  Still, as far as everything else on the gun goes, it works fine.

(Sorry about the double post, I provided more info anyway.)

Good info! thank you. Never did get into BDArmory stuff, but it's always fun to see all that great stuff in action. 

On 1/4/2020 at 3:02 PM, Beetlecat said:

Good info! thank you. Never did get into BDArmory stuff, but it's always fun to see all that great stuff in action. 

Sure is.

Never liked it much either.  I don't even use the tail gunner seat in this mod.  I just use the various other modules.

I did test the tail gunner seat, just because, and everything but the gun functions fine without BD Armory.   I prefer to just use the regular seat instead, though, since I don't play with BD Armory.

Edited by Ruedii

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2020 at 2:47 AM, Ruedii said:

Sure is.

Never liked it much either.  I don't even use the tail gunner seat in this mod.  I just use the various other modules.

I did test the tail gunner seat, just because, and everything but the gun functions fine without BD Armory.   I prefer to just use the regular seat instead, though, since I don't play with BD Armory.

I'm thinking of checking the license to see about continuing this mod on my own.  I'll probably strip out the tail gunner seat, rather than worry about the BD Armory stuff.

Just now, Daniel Prates said:

A wise move. That thing looks cool but without actually firing, its just cosmetic. I'd loose it  in a jiffy if it means mantaining the main parts.

I have thought about taking a look at the model file to see if I can just remove the gun and have it be a rear facing seat.

I also considered seeing about getting someone to build a slide open, eject off, canopy for this.

Just now, Ruedii said:

I have thought about taking a look at the model file to see if I can just remove the gun and have it be a rear facing seat.

I also considered seeing about getting someone to build a slide open, eject off, canopy for this.

Removing the gun is not that hard, could be done with Blender. A canopy is beyond my skills

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Removing the gun is not that hard, could be done with Blender. A canopy is beyond my skills

Yeah, I'd have to try my hand at the canopy.  

I know how to approach it.
For a bubble cockpit.
A. Base mode:
1. Create an appropriate ovoid model that clips into a matching fuselage cylinder
2. Delete the portion that clips into the cylinder.
3. Put that block in layer, and give it a nice transparent material with a glossy glass effect.

B: Edge "Seal" Trim:
1. Use an edge select to select the edges.
2. Use a feather on that edge select to create trim.
3. Apply a nice "plastic seal" or "classic leather seal" material to that.

C: Re-enforcement bars:
1. Select cross-sections
2. Feather cross-sections lateral
3. Widen cross sections.
4. Add metal texture with rivets.

D: Mount rails (Mount side)
1. Build base rail design as a simple rectangular pyramid
2. Apply an "inner rail" parallax map to the top to create the appearance of a trench line that can go below the surface it is mounted to.
3. Apply a nice metal texture brushed lengthwise with some nice rivets.
4. Duplicate via mirroring and place the two rails at the sides of the canopy (or any other object you'd like to attach them.)

E: Mount rail interface (canopy side)
1. Create a flat plate with a small cylindrical axil and cylindrical wheel attached to each side of it.
2. Double up this on one side.
3. Mirror to the other side.

F. Fine tune everything to mate nicely and mate to the 1.25m profile cylinder.

Of course there is a difference between knowing how to do it, and actually being able to do it.

Also -- it's kinda funny to be creating closed canopies for the literally named "open cockpit" ;)  Throw some KIS prop helmets and goggles on your Kerbals and it's a fantastic look.

The gun doesn't cause any problems / work w/o BD armory, at least I never encountered any when recently playing with it -- though I can certainly be corrected. It gives it a great look.

I`m not a completely lost (only partially:D)

sometimes I`m lurking on this forum from mobile without reg so you can`t see me in list

About this mod, they not forgotten and have some upcoming "biplane" parts

szyBMHz.png

2aRHqp4.png

Major is a new strut with 2 sizes and 3 colors + wire variant ( and working wire antenna )

also some wing parts and wheels and . . .    and now I`m stuck with wheel behavior with stock KSP module

About canopy, I`m already trying it, but KSP seat module only allow change direction of exit but not increase distance (at least some game versions before)

so kerbals intersect with any part above head and kicking out at exit

@Drew Kerman  because this mod have stock orbital cockpit split into two pieces, OC1 is just a seat, any high-tech features moved into drone core

@Ruedii  You forget step with adding cargo bay inside glass :D  kerbals have huge air drag but very soft attach to seat, so they pulled back up to 2-3 meters at high speed

• 3 weeks later...

@Ruedii  It`s my first (ok, second) attempt to make wheels in KSP. Now i don`t know how make wheels load slightly above ground at vessel launch,

they load almost without problems while aircraft standing in level but if vessel leaned back at launch wheels load slightly below ground and kick it up and then start push back

I load stock wheels to Blender and copy all parameters to Unity, but aircraft on stock wheels work fine, on my own it flip overhead

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 5:10 AM, NESD said:

@Ruedii  It`s my first (ok, second) attempt to make wheels in KSP. Now i don`t know how make wheels load slightly above ground at vessel launch,

they load almost without problems while aircraft standing in level but if vessel leaned back at launch wheels load slightly below ground and kick it up and then start push back

I load stock wheels to Blender and copy all parameters to Unity, but aircraft on stock wheels work fine, on my own it flip overhead

Hmm, I haven't worked on that part of the wheels.  However, I think there is a collider you can edit to handle this.   Look for a spawn clearance collider of some sort.

Edited by Ruedii

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2020 at 5:10 AM, NESD said:

I just thought of something.  The stock wheels have no conventional collider for the wheel themselves, instead using the wheel module to create the forces.  That is likely your issue.   You need sufficient distance between the wheel and the ground.

Sometimes such issues only appear if the wheel is at an angle due to leverage-torque behaviour in the physics engine.

Edited by Ruedii

• 2 weeks later...

@Ruedii  

You need sufficient distance between the wheel and the ground.

Stock wheels loaded with suspension in upper position and then drop it to the ground, I`m trying to read all stock parameters in Blender, then copy it to Unity, but my wheel still load with full extended suspension and wheels placed exact at level or slightly below ground. Also i find biplane wheels in Airplane Plus, they have same issue

Now I`m waiting 1.10 and maybe release it only with strut-wire, antenna and wings

On 6/22/2020 at 7:00 AM, NESD said:

@Ruedii  

Stock wheels loaded with suspension in upper position and then drop it to the ground, I`m trying to read all stock parameters in Blender, then copy it to Unity, but my wheel still load with full extended suspension and wheels placed exact at level or slightly below ground. Also i find biplane wheels in Airplane Plus, they have same issue

Now I`m waiting 1.10 and maybe release it only with strut-wire, antenna and wings

Thanks for the details.

You need to adjust the animation behavior of the shocks.  That is where your issue most likely is.  I suspect the animation might be reversed or something.

I wish there was an easy way to do a controlled halo test of these thing on mods.  Oh well.

I presume you are doing the layers in blender and doing the sliding animation in Unity itself.  That should be how you should do a simple animation like this.

Additionally, you might want to consider masking the non-wheel physics from impacting the wheel with the ground by using the collision mesh layer configuration.

Edited by Ruedii
moar details, add qualifying uncertainty to "That is where your issue most likely is."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 6:50 PM, Ruedii said:

Thanks for the details.

You need to adjust the animation behavior of the shocks.  That is where your issue most likely is.  I suspect the animation might be reversed or something.

I wish there was an easy way to do a controlled halo test of these thing on mods.  Oh well.

I presume you are doing the layers in blender and doing the sliding animation in Unity itself.  That should be how you should do a simple animation like this.

Additionally, you might want to consider masking the non-wheel physics from impacting the wheel with the ground by using the collision mesh layer configuration.

You might want to talk to the developer of Airplane Plus about how he manages wheels.  He has a lot of good wheels in his set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Ruedii  He have the same issue in his biplane wheels, at least half year ago, I don`t check new updates

You need to adjust the animation behavior of the shocks. 

unfortunately KSP dont have animation for suspension, wheel just attached to Unity wheel collider, that have internal scripted animation

@BGYT    SOON . . .

4RYQcym.png

fbdq5OK.png

g1nZroC.jpg

. . . without wheels, but with struts, biplane wing parts, some WW1-WW2 national roundels,

victory markings and military pilot insignias ( for 1.10 flag system )

------------------------- Update-------------------------------------------

This is a current list of decals,    you can make some requests

ZOBb3oV.jpg

Edited by NESD