[1.x.x] Kerbal Hacks: Droptank "Wrapper"

Enceos

U7jrjYK.jpg

• It's always nice to add some extra fuel without adding much to the size of the spacecraft
  • Has 4 sizes of different length
  • Very Fairing friendly due to its shape
  • Has a stock crossfeed switcher
  • Integrated decoupler
  • Aeroynamic nosecap to close the ends or make a boat
  • Stockalike texture will blend in with any craft
  • TweakScale support

EnergeticThirstyGrouper.gif DefiniteAcclaimedAlpaca-size_restricted.

CKAN-Indexed-brightgreen.svg       SpaceDock-listed-blue.svg

Download from Spacedock

Suggested:

- TweakScale (enables bigger sizes)

- Any fuel switcher (patch from CryoEngines, Stock Fuel Switch, Modular Fuel Tanks, Configurable Containers)

License: CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Edited by Enceos

34 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The subject seems to indicate this is for KSP 1.x.x

Technically they will work in earlier versions as well, but the crossfeed toggle won't be there. The tanks will require a fuel line to feed the craft.

@Beetlecat That's very pleasant to hear, thank you :3

Edited by Enceos

3 hours ago, Jivaii said:

I seem to only have an RSS type configs, I can't set it for liquid fuel or LFO only, instead getting fuels from RSS

Seems you have a patch in your game which converts all LFO tanks to RSS fuel switch. By default wrapper tanks have only LFO, like any other stock tank. You'll have to dig the culprit out.

Edited by Enceos

5 hours ago, Enceos said:

Seems you have a patch in your game which converts all LFO tanks to RSS fuel switch. By default wrapper tanks have only LFO, like any other stock tank. You'll have to dig the culprit out.

Crap....I have ALOT of mods installed Time to start digging then. It's probably one of the fuel switch mods too

Interstellar fuel switch distributed the wrapper tank files with RSS type configs in it. Going to delete those and that should fix it.

It did fix it.

Edited by Jivaii

1 hour ago, genericeventhandler said:

I love this, I've been using them since you made the first version. 

Now you have added endcaps can we have an endcap with a parachute in it please?

The drag tweaks make these tanks maintain supersonic speeds even when they hit the ground. Parachutes won't be able to deploy at these speeds. The tanks are cheap and expendable, I don't know why would you want to save them...

Edited by Enceos

34 minutes ago, Enceos said:

The drag tweaks make these tanks maintain supersonic speeds even when they hit the ground. Parachutes won't be able to deploy at these speeds. The tanks are cheap and expendable, I don't know why would you want to save them...

I recover everything, with stage recovery, at the moment, I'm putting a drag and a normal chute on them

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this mod.  I'm trying to build a rocket that just uses a single motor to orbit, and would drop rings of these tanks as it climbs.  The tanks would sit lower than the motor.  They stack perfectly, the only problem is that the decoupler is only on the surface attachment, not at the top.  So my suggestion / request / idea is to allow the decoupler to be at the top node somehow.

@Aceoaces You can offset the part using the Shift key to override the surface decoupler and mimic the top decoupling node. Making the top node decouple will make the tank shed its aerodynamic nosecone if used in tandem, which is not visually desirable. 

I was inspired.

JD46Py2.jpg

With a growing portion of the national scientific funding earmarked to the Flat Kerbin Society, #alternativefacts, the Space Program has been forced to significantly scale back the kerbonaut training courses and subsequent Munar expeditions are now carried out as one-man missions.

Is there a way to make a Module Manager patch to toggle these tanks' decouplers in the VAB? Say, with Tweakable Everything? I want to use them as EVA corridors doubling as fuel tanks in a station, much like you would a Structural Fuselage, and I do not want to accidentally disassemble my entire station using these, but I also want to use them as drop tanks on other vessels.

2 hours ago, wadusher1 said:

Is there a way to make a Module Manager patch to toggle these tanks' decouplers in the VAB? Say, with Tweakable Everything? I want to use them as EVA corridors doubling as fuel tanks in a station, much like you would a Structural Fuselage, and I do not want to accidentally disassemble my entire station using these, but I also want to use them as drop tanks on other vessels.

Give this a try!  https://spacedock.info/mod/933/Off Stage

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.