[WIP] Space Opera

TiktaalikDreaming

Well, sometimes you just want to cheat.  And, I know there's a cheat menu hiding in the Alt F12 menus, but, it's just not as satisfying as a truly ludicrous set of science fantasy drives.  So, I'm working on a collection of parts to make truly absurd craft.

These won't be exotic ideas from physicists.  There's already mods for salt water reactors and project Orion drives and Alcubierre drives. I'm talking Star trek grade technobabble stuff.  Engines that run of Handwavium and electricity from Eludium reactors.

I've got some other mods to work on, so I'd like to know how much interest there is in this sort of thing.  I'll be honest and say I first created a very early version of this ages back to test other mods on other planets when I didn't want to just hyperedit myself there.  So, I'm unclear how many people might find a use.

So far I'm working on three grades of engine.  Planetary (a few G, deep throttling, short and fat to help with landing leg placement), interplanetary (maybe ten to twenty times the thrust, long and a bit cooler looking), and interstellar (doesn't work yet, but will hopefully be some sort of warp thing).  The planetary and interplanetary engines will work from Handwavium, which can just be a stored amount, or converted in a reactor from Taurusfecallium.  Everything uses a lot of electricity, so there's a reactor that used Eludium and Phlebotium.  The warp drives I'm hoping to make work using Energized Di-Francium-Tri-Absurdium Crystal.  Apart from the word Francium (it's under lithium on the periodic table, a fairly long way under) those are all as meaningful as the others.  I couldn't really fit a crystal structure name in to take the liquid out of "di-"lithium as a crystal. 

No, I'm not serious.

Yes, I am serious about releasing this for download.

In fact, here it is:  http://spacedock.info/mod/1137/Space Opera

(Licensed as CC BY-SA 4.0, aka, steal it but don't pretend it's yours)

And some pics of the parts (engines, and warp core not textured yet, and there's also some RCS that works on Handwavium, but it's VERY early days and may change dramatically);

Inter-planetary Engine
ZGqFRsr.png

Planetary Engine
VJZfQQ9.png

Reactor
PYXWlfX.png

and

0UexHan.png

Eludium Containment
w8aBZJ7.png
and

CDziLki.png

Warp Core (WIP)
rFvmu2D.png

Handwavium Tank
rk59odu.png

Handwavium Generator

6ilqKQ5.png

and

XJAU9lR.png

Phlebotium Tanks

xfYjq8k.png

And

QLWXJFW.png and 7aahffj.png

Taurusfecalium Kontainment Unit

n3p9Cb7.png

Warp Drive
Vh9h4fe.pngIBV1kOI.png

Polarity Field Generator

zh4Uc2D.png

Quantum Entangler

cAFmZYQ.pngx7TDJQb.png

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming
Updated Part Images

I like your models and your "rusty style" texture but not sure how they 'll fit with stock (-alike) parts.

As the non realistic behavior of the engines it can't be badder than the Alcubierre one (I know some scientist says it may be build one day but it feels really sci-fi to me :confused: )

Anyway I'd like to use those if you balance them for a career game-play, far away in the tech tree along with a very high price.

1 minute ago, Li0n said:

I like your models and your "rusty style" texture but not sure how they 'll fit with stock (-alike) parts.

As the non realistic behavior of the engines it can't be badder than the Alcubierre one (I know some scientist says it may be build one day but it feels really sci-fi to me :confused: )

Anyway I'd like to use those if you balance them for a career game-play, far away in the tech tree along with a very high price.

The textures are literally semi-random metal textures applied all over the parts.  There's zero effort in them just yet.

15 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

The textures are literally semi-random metal textures applied all over the parts.  There's zero effort in them just yet.

What kind of look will you try to achieve ? A rusty style or a more cleaner/shiny one ? Both could look good but a rusty/steampunk look will be harder to fit (visually) with stock part I think.

11 minutes ago, Li0n said:

What kind of look will you try to achieve ? A rusty style or a more cleaner/shiny one ? Both could look good but a rusty/steampunk look will be harder to fit (visually) with stock part I think.

I'll be aiming at a vaguely stock-like look, albeit with very non-stock-like shapes.

Now available for download.

Manufacturer not created but referenced.

Engines are untextured, as is the warp core.  Ditto for the frame on the small Handwavium unit.

I've done a quick pass through balancing weights, but not costs, or anything else.

All the RCS are untextured and thrown together in about an hour all together, so may change radically.  But yes you can fly craft using just the RCS, even unintentionally.

If you want to use the warp engine you'll need Roverdude's lovely Alcubierre Drive mod

I won't be repackaging the module into this mod unless he says it's OK.  At which time I'll look closer at why my warp bubble animation thingy is absent.  And check what happens if both are installed.  :-)

2 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Now available for download.

Manufacturer not created but referenced.

Engines are untextured, as is the warp core.  Ditto for the frame on the small Handwavium unit.

I've done a quick pass through balancing weights, but not costs, or anything else.

All the RCS are untextured and thrown together in about an hour all together, so may change radically.  But yes you can fly craft using just the RCS, even unintentionally.

If you want to use the warp engine you'll need Roverdude's lovely Alcubierre Drive mod

I won't be repackaging the module into this mod unless he says it's OK.  At which time I'll look closer at why my warp bubble animation thingy is absent.  And check what happens if both are installed.  :-)

As noted - please don't repackage, just tag it as a dependency.  Saves me headaches.

17 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I'm just hoping some of these parts are made with Unobtanium.  :wink: 

I've actually made special efforts not to use unobtanium.  It's been a bit over used recently I feel.  Eludium, handwavium and so on have been in use for about as long.  They just don't seem to have made it into big budget movies as often.  Taurusfecalium and the various absurdium compounds are things I came up with, although I really would not be surprised if I was a long way from the first to use the terms.  The only substance referenced that's not a reference to technobabble is Francium, which is aimed at lampooning di-lithium crystals, because Lithium exists, even though di-blah crystals don't.

13 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I've actually made special efforts not to use unobtanium.  It's been a bit over used recently I feel.  Eludium, handwavium and so on have been in use for about as long.  They just don't seem to have made it into big budget movies as often.  Taurusfecalium and the various absurdium compounds are things I came up with, although I really would not be surprised if I was a long way from the first to use the terms.  The only substance referenced that's not a reference to technobabble is Francium, which is aimed at lampooning di-lithium crystals, because Lithium exists, even though di-blah crystals don't.

Fair enough.  :wink:   You should make some note someplace about how the technology was only discovered when the scientists moved away from using the ubiquitous unobtanium.  :wink:

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

Fair enough.  :wink:   You should make some note someplace about how the technology was only discovered when the scientists moved away from using the ubiquitous unobtanium.  :wink:

Maybe discovered in their so far unsuccessful attempts to create unobtainium.  :-)

There's been a delay in updates because I was working on getting the rigging right for the long engine's nozzle.  I didn't want to do too much work on finishing the meshes or texturing before getting that right.  It now seems to work, so I'll add some bits n bobs to it, and update.

Rigging examples;

0 throttle;

3b23iCu.png

Half throttle;

mQAFnP7.png

Full throttle;

uuul2IN.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.