[WIP] Space Opera

TiktaalikDreaming

Texturing (and sometimes remeshing) progresses. 

VJZfQQ9.png

JtLqI1O.png

gj23qOA.png

I still need to face what will probably be a redesign of the warp parts, the "core" and the drive.  But when I get some time I'll upload the current status as anyone not using the warp functions will then have a complete set of parts with textures.

0.3 is uploaded.

C0vMLPq.png

It contains all the aforementioned retextures for the parts.  So parts other than the warp related parts are now completed until I notice something broken.

Warp parts are about to get a major revision as I realized I'd spent too long figuring out things like handwavium and taurusfecalium, when there are quantums and reversed polarities to use.  So, the warp components in this version are a roughly sketched out idea on generating stuff for the warp drive.  The parts have had zero effort spent.  They're all just copies of the old "shall be deleted" warp core.  Using the warp parts will create craft that will fail to load after subsequent updates, or have weird clipping errors if they do.  I intend to make the parts that go toward the warp system become a bit smaller.  And changing part attach nodes plays merry havoc with existing craft.

I've done more redesign of warp parts today.  Unwrapped parts' placeholder textures will now be the unwrapped outlines because it looks a bit like a sketch, and IMHO kinda cool if totally un-life-like.

Anyways, the new warp core that handle di-Francium-tri-Abrsurdium crystals;

jnP22iU.png

Quantum Entangler (on the side of a warp core as it's a surface attached part now);

jwEdH8K.png

Field Generator;

fQ80i2h.png

The warp drive is still a bit in limbo.  It will almost certainly involve some sort of deployed pod/nozzle/whatzit thing that extends out the side of the part so it can be added to the middle of a stack of parts.  And there's provision for a deployment animation in the warp module from RoverDude.

• 2 weeks later...

Love what you're doing so far!

I'm creating a Community Tech Tree Patch for the stuff you have thus far. Would you be interested in it if I upload it here? I'm putting stuff in the last tier of nodes, like Ultra High Energy Physics, Unified Field Theory, and Experimental Plasma Propulsion, as this is definitely end-end-end-game stuff.

35 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

Love what you're doing so far!

I'm creating a Community Tech Tree Patch for the stuff you have thus far. Would you be interested in it if I upload it here? I'm putting stuff in the last tier of nodes, like Ultra High Energy Physics, Unified Field Theory, and Experimental Plasma Propulsion, as this is definitely end-end-end-game stuff.

Oh, yes, great.  I'd completely forgotten about tech tree things.  I just kind of assumed everyone using this would be sandpitting.  :-)

If you upload it, I'll add it as a patch in the main download.  And probably look through the existing parts for some stock tech nodes or something.

1 hour ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Oh, yes, great.  I'd completely forgotten about tech tree things.  I just kind of assumed everyone using this would be sandpitting.  :-)

If you upload it, I'll add it as a patch in the main download.  And probably look through the existing parts for some stock tech nodes or something.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzmApevAhiLQzk5OW5JWkVUa1U/view?usp=sharing

Sure, here it is. It works perfectly in game. The only things that are missing stock nodes from what I saw, were the engines, but I might have missed others. I didn't look too carefully since I was just making a patch.

1 hour ago, FirroSeranel said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzmApevAhiLQzk5OW5JWkVUa1U/view?usp=sharing

Sure, here it is. It works perfectly in game. The only things that are missing stock nodes from what I saw, were the engines, but I might have missed others. I didn't look too carefully since I was just making a patch.

Awesome.  I'll add in the parts I've been working on (mostly smaller editions of existing parts) and include it in the main download.  Nice to see you're using :NEEDS[]  :-D

Fixed up.  Also, I've gone through and made stock TechRequired all experimentalScience or experimentalElectrics.  The engines did have tech requirements, but the intents etc were all over the shop and made it hard to spot.  The config files are typically something stolen from a squad part then edited.  So, although the parts had a techRequired entry, it was usually horribly wrong.  :-)

@PART[SOEngLong]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = ultraHighEnergyPhysics
}

@PART[SOEngShort]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[SOEngShort2.5]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[Size4SmallETank]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = exoticFuelStorage
}
@PART[Size3SmallETank]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[Size2SmallETank]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[Size4LongETank]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[Size3LongETank]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[Size2LongETank]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[linearHWRcs45]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = expGriddedThrusters
}
@PART[linearHWRcsSml45]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[linearHWRcsBg45]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[linearHWRcs90]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[linearHWRcsSml90]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[linearHWRcsBg90]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[linearHWRcs]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[linearHWRcsSml]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[linearHWRcsBg]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[HWTank]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[HWTank2]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[PnEReactor]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = unifiedFieldTheory
}
@PART[PnEReactor375]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[PolFldGen]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[PTank]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[PTankMed]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[PTankSmall]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[QuantumEnt]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[TF2HWConverter]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[TF2HWConverter3]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[TFTank]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[WarpCore]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[SOWarpDrive]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

12 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Updated once more.  The warp drive now impersonates a finished part.  More elaborate shapes/animation to come, cos I'm not really happy with it. Also fixed the wrong sized resized eludium tank.  And the overly enthusiastic shading on the warp core.

Part images updated on the OP

You know... I hate to suggest it -after- you've done a bunch of modeling, but the one thing I've never seen in a KSP warp drive mod, is a Star Trek analogue, with nacelles. Most of them go for the Alcubierre ring design. But since this is explicitly a far-future sci-fi mod, it'd be really cool to have.

2 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

You know... I hate to suggest it -after- you've done a bunch of modeling, but the one thing I've never seen in a KSP warp drive mod, is a Star Trek analogue, with nacelles. Most of them go for the Alcubierre ring design. But since this is explicitly a far-future sci-fi mod, it'd be really cool to have.

Without being explicitly treky (madly dodging potential copyright issues), that's kind of where I wanted to go, but as an inline part that unfolds to two nacelles.  It may end up being a non-unfolding part, because when you start to try to 3D model a large part unfolding from a much smaller part, you either cheat outrageously or run into serious issues about how a large part can actually unfold without being basically a large thin sheet.

I wanted the part to be an inline part but not requiring the last node (eg engines) in the stack.  And thus the unfolding.  But it achieves the same result with no unfolding of course.  But RoverDude's code has the provision for unfolding, and everyone loves some animation.  Maybe I'll just uncover some glowy bits or something.

And, for this at least, don't worry about killing old designs by suggesting things.  As I said "I'm not really happy with it", and I do intend to have a serious rethink.  I'd also like to have a few different sizes/speeds/etc.  Requiring differing amounts of warp field generators etc.

56 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Without being explicitly treky (madly dodging potential copyright issues), that's kind of where I wanted to go, but as an inline part that unfolds to two nacelles.  It may end up being a non-unfolding part, because when you start to try to 3D model a large part unfolding from a much smaller part, you either cheat outrageously or run into serious issues about how a large part can actually unfold without being basically a large thin sheet.

I wanted the part to be an inline part but not requiring the last node (eg engines) in the stack.  And thus the unfolding.  But it achieves the same result with no unfolding of course.  But RoverDude's code has the provision for unfolding, and everyone loves some animation.  Maybe I'll just uncover some glowy bits or something.

And, for this at least, don't worry about killing old designs by suggesting things.  As I said "I'm not really happy with it", and I do intend to have a serious rethink.  I'd also like to have a few different sizes/speeds/etc.  Requiring differing amounts of warp field generators etc.

Cool. And yes, glowy bits are essential! XD Is there a way to do a really faint particle trail behind, to act like the Star Trek streak? Not just to blatantly copy ST, but also to give the impression of great speed being actively produced rather than just gliding under momentum like usual.

As for folding... maybe not fully folding out, but just telescoping outward from dimples where they're tucked into the sides of the cylindrical part? That'd still let it be aerodynamic for launching and reentry, but then let them extend out for use. Like...

Ju75ZNS.png

I'm more thinking a fixed part mainly, with the deployment animation being more of an opening hatches to expose the warp whatsits.  But there is room for a few variants, and I still like the idea of some unfolding/extending type thing.

Here's my current thinkings;

RlpXgtv.png

And a quick mockup for KSP (including a full shield part on one nacelle that I forgot to remove);

slPL5z3.png

I'm intending the glowy bits to all be behind doors/hatches until you engage the engine.  I've only built the front dome cover so far, but that will be the most awkward.  The side bits will just be simple sliding door things.

I'm thinking I'll do at least two warp drives.  A smaller, less powerful unfolding one, and this sort of fixed, more powerful one.  Use the two ideas as a trade off between convenience and power.

Updated to 0.7 with a new Warp Drive.  This one is a fixed twin outboard nacelle type, with animation just for the uncovering the glowy bits.  The nose parts changed to a red glow as a stage early on with a green glow the exposed X shape looked a bit too much like a console logo.

tdS4VZ6.png

The old warp drive is still there, but will get replaced with a new part that unfolds.  So there will be two options.  The new fixed format, which I intend to be more powerful.  And an unfolding version that's a bit weaker, but, well, it unfolds.

ewkHwPh.png

cIJnLrg.png

would it be possible to add some sort of anti gravity drive that provides reactionless hovering for spacecraft? i'd love to have ships be able to move around in atmosphere without having to use VTOL engines or high speeds.

5 hours ago, Atatra said:

would it be possible to add some sort of anti gravity drive that provides reactionless hovering for spacecraft? i'd love to have ships be able to move around in atmosphere without having to use VTOL engines or high speeds.

I've never written a module for KSP, although I've done some minor adjustments to them.  IFF I do get around to adding modules for this, the first two space magic things will be an anti-gravity drive and an "inertial damper".  Basically something to turn on or off the "Kerbals pass out at High G" setting from the tweaks menu.  It only takes a couple of Epstein moments before you realise that's a good idea. 

But I doubt I'll be able to do that any time soon.

11 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I've never written a module for KSP, although I've done some minor adjustments to them.  IFF I do get around to adding modules for this, the first two space magic things will be an anti-gravity drive and an "inertial damper".  Basically something to turn on or off the "Kerbals pass out at High G" setting from the tweaks menu.  It only takes a couple of Epstein moments before you realise that's a good idea.

I need something like that as well for my Alcubiere drive. I assume there is some kind of setting which allows you to disable it for a fraction of a second. I will let you know if I found a solution

Edited by FreeThinker

I've been struggling a bit with overlapping constraints getting animation to match nicely for the unfolding Warp Drive, but I sorted that out.  Each constraint in blender seems to overlay.  So to follow two points, the first constraint you set as 100%, and the second as 50% so you end up with the average.  Was driving me nuts.

Anyway, animation unfolding with one copy of everything.  So one nacelle, one set of levering arms.  Eventually there'll be two nacelles, both with arms above and below the extension cord thing.

RJdyRuY.gif

Unwrapped, and beginning to replicate parts.  It's taking a long time, partly because I'm finding the weather too hot to think straight (ie; it forces me to drink too much beer) and because when I sit down at my PC, I start flipping through social media stuff and then get angry at politics.  Which again leads to beer.

geuuoFH.gif

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.