[1.2.X] [Kopernicus] Total Rebuild

The White Guardian

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

#7 Let me know if you get this one working.

14 minutes ago, SAS123 said:

7) The White Guardian said it wouldn't really be worth it

True, but that doesn't mean it's a lot of work. If you'd like, @JadeOfMaar, I could send you a basic binary gas giant configuration.

49 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

Is there Anything I can do to help?

(I can do EVE configs)

Thanks a lot for the offer, but I already got that covered as well as Scatterer configurations.

21 hours ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

How about a planet with EXTEREMELY uneven terrain that look like a sea urchin.

I think you can make it by playing around with the terrain height.

That's easy to do but not very practical, and a true pain when it comes to playability and memory usage. Add to that, I doubt KSP's terrain texture mechanisms will like such stretched terrain. But I could bring the idea back to a more basic form, a planet with extremely uneven terrain, and work that out more, playability and memory usage taken into consideration.

12 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Looks exciting! Good luck to both of ye! :D

Thanks! SPE is first though, I'm gonna work on that for a majority of the day tomorrow, let's race 2017. :cool:

On 28/12/2016 at 10:17 PM, The White Guardian said:

That's bloody brilliant! At first the plan was indeed to make the star more orange, but blue is rarer now that you mention it. That does mean that I'll have to make it a lot hotter somehow and I have no idea how to do that to be honest. (Hoping @Sigma88 can save the day here)

In fact, why not just make this pack in such a way that the star type is configurable? I could pull that off! :D

As for the primary planet being in a binary orbit, stuff is likely to glitch if 'reference body starting planet = center of universe' doesn't apply, therefore I rarely place the starting planet in an orbit around anything else than the 'center'. A habitable moon would be a really, really cool idea though! I'm actually gonna do that! :D

I think Luminosity deals with that. The more Luminous a star is, the hotter it usually is (At least for the case of Main-sequence Stars). 

That's easy to do but not very practical, and a true pain when it comes to playability and memory usage. Add to that, I doubt KSP's terrain texture mechanisms will like such stretched terrain. But I could bring the idea back to a more basic form, a planet with extremely uneven terrain, and work that out more, playability and memory usage taken into consideration

well then how about binary rocky planets that are tearing each other apart and in between them (the barycenter)

the rock fragments are forming a small object.

and maybe an object that is very cold that has seas of liquid hydrogen (so you will sink) and an orange atmosphere made of a strange unknown gas.

2 hours ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

well then how about binary rocky planets that are tearing each other apart and in between them (the barycenter)

the rock fragments are forming a small object.

and maybe an object that is very cold that has seas of liquid hydrogen (so you will sink) and an orange atmosphere made of a strange unknown gas.

What you just said there is physically improbable. And usually in a binary orbit, it is impossible to have two bodys exactly the same size and mass so you will always have the least massive object being torn apart before the primary ever does. Even if Venus and Earth were in a binary and they both have similar sizes and masses, Venus would be the one that is torn apart. as for the third body... well there wouldn't be a third body as it would become the secondary body. anything that forms before the secondary body is torn apart will usually collide with the secondary or primary body until after there is a ring of debries around the 

Liquid Hydrogen Oceans are improbable too on rocky worlds due to two reasons: Formation and Hydrogen's Chemical Properties. The formation of a rocky planet is a very hot task and only Hydrogen Bonds like Water and Alcohol will stay around. Since hydrogen is a light element, It will escape any atmosphere except itself or a hydrogen atmosphere which wouldn't make sense as the surface would have to be colder than the atmosphere above it where the hydrogen atmosphere would turn into liquid hydrogen at the surface until all of it became liquid and with no atmosphere anymore, the Hydrogen will boil away. Also Hydrogen's melting point of 13 K and boiling point of 20 K doesn't leave much of a temperature range for the planet. there is also a small fact that pretty much all known Planets And Exoplanets have temperatures hotter than 50K.

Edited by SAS123

5 hours ago, SAS123 said:

What you just said there is physically improbable. And usually in a binary orbit, it is impossible to have two bodys exactly the same size and mass so you will always have the least massive object being torn apart before the primary ever does. Even if Venus and Earth were in a binary and they both have similar sizes and masses, Venus would be the one that is torn apart. as for the third body... well there wouldn't be a third body as it would become the secondary body. anything that forms before the secondary body is torn apart will usually collide with the secondary or primary body until after there is a ring of debries around the 

Liquid Hydrogen Oceans are improbable too on rocky worlds due to two reasons: Formation and Hydrogen's Chemical Properties. The formation of a rocky planet is a very hot task and only Hydrogen Bonds like Water and Alcohol will stay around. Since hydrogen is a light element, It will escape any atmosphere except itself or a hydrogen atmosphere which wouldn't make sense as the surface would have to be colder than the atmosphere above it where the hydrogen atmosphere would turn into liquid hydrogen at the surface until all of it became liquid and with no atmosphere anymore, the Hydrogen will boil away. Also Hydrogen's melting point of 13 K and boiling point of 20 K doesn't leave much of a temperature range for the planet. there is also a small fact that pretty much all known Planets And Exoplanets have temperatures hotter than 50K.

I suggest a planet with alcohol oceans. Would love to see the kerbanauts go drunk while trying to get samples!

42 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

I suggest a planet with alcohol oceans. Would love to see the kerbanauts go drunk while trying to get samples!

Hmm... 'alcohol' is actually referring to a group of molecules containing a carbon skeleton and that possess an Oxygen-Hydrogen group. Methanol, for example, CH3OH, is also an alcohol, though it is very poisonous.

So is Ethanol, C2H5OH, to be honest, though we still put it in drinks for some weird reason. That's the alcohol you're referring to I assume. (note: Ethanol is less poisonous, but trust me, it's not healthy)

In that case, let's look up it's statistics.

Melting point: -114.4 degrees Celsius or 158.75 degrees Kelvin.

Boiling point: 78.37 degrees Celsius or 351.52 degrees Kelvin.

So that could work, temperature-wise. There is only one problem: Ethanol is an organic compound, so I don't see any reason as to why it would be there.

Also, Ethanol in drinks is in a low concentration. Pure Ethanol would probably kill them...

Edited by The White Guardian

6 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Hmm... 'alcohol' is actually referring to a group of molecules containing a carbon skeleton and that possess an Oxygen-Hydrogen group. Methanol, for example, CH3OH, is also an alcohol, though it is very poisonous.

So is Ethanol, C2H5OH, to be honest, though we still put it in drinks for some weird reason. That's the alcohol you're referring to I assume. (note: Ethanol is less poisonous, but trust me, it's not healthy)

So that could work, temperature-wise. There is only one problem: Ethanol is an organic compound, so I don't see any reason as to why it would be there.

Also, Ethanol in drinks is in a low concentration. Pure Ethanol would probably kill them...

WELL IF THEY DIE MY LORD KRAKEN WILL HAVE THEM! GLORY FOR THE KRAKEN!

4 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Did everyone forget about titan? That while it doesn't have an entire ocean of Ethanol does have trace amounts in all three states.

Here is the current estimated composition of Titan's lakes for example:

three-quarters of an average polar lake is ethane, with 10 per cent methane, 7 per cent propane and smaller amounts of hydrogen cyanide, butane, nitrogen and argon. Benzene is expected to fall like snow and quickly dissolve into the lakes, although the lakes may become saturated just as the Dead Sea on Earth is packed with salt. The excess benzene would then build up in a mud-like sludge on the shores and on the lake floors before eventually being eroded by ethane rain, forming a complex cave-riddled landscape.[24] However, the chemical composition and physical properties of the lakes probably varies from one lake to another (Cassini observations in 2013 indicate Ligeia Mare is filled with a ternary mixture of methane, ethane, and nitrogen and consequently the probe's radar signals were able to detect the sea floor 170 m below the liquid surface)

(Quoted from Wikipedia)

I can't find any information regarding trace amounts of Ethanol on Titan. Even if there would be trace amounts present, it are trace amounts thus a very, very small amount, therefore I still see no way for an ethanol-covered world to exist without some kind of Biological interference.

1 Acid planet

2 planet with seas of oil

3 diamond planet

4 huge rocky planet with very dense atmosphere and (if possible) lightning

5 planet with a huge cryovolcano 

6  a planet that spins so fast it is flinging material off of the equator

7 planet with very stormy weather (hurricanes)

8 planet covered in volcanoes full of lava

9 an object with strong winds and Huge waves.

Also is there anything else I could do to help?

1 hour ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

1 Acid planet

2 planet with seas of oil

3 diamond planet

4 huge rocky planet with very dense atmosphere and (if possible) lightning

5 planet with a huge cryovolcano 

6  a planet that spins so fast it is flinging material off of the equator

7 planet with very stormy weather (hurricanes)

8 planet covered in volcanoes full of lava

9 an object with strong winds and Huge waves.

Also is there anything else I could do to help?

1. Could work, though the acidity wouldn't have any big effects on crafts. It's very possible though, it rains Sulphuric Acid on Venus.

2. Possible, as mineral oils exist. Wouldn't be easy to explain it though.

3. Basically 55 Cancri e? Could work, a carbon planet!

4. Lightning was possible with an old version of AVP, I'll see what I can do.

5. OH HELL YEAH! THAT'S IN! :D

6. Good idea! Adding that.

7. Alright, that's in!

8. Already planned.

9. Huge waves, not sure how to get that to work. Waves aren't possible AFAIK.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.