Tech for space station

I am relatively new to ksp but have already achieved a lot. at the moment I want to build a space station. However, I am playing on science and don't want to waste what precious little Science I have on tech not necessary for it. So please tell me what tech will I need to make a space station

In general, there's not a lot in KSP that distinguishes "space station" from "spaceship that doesn't happen to move very much."  Meaning there aren't a lot of parts you uniquely need for a station, as opposed to wanting to get for general purposes.  That said, here are a few parts that are good to have:

-Large fuel tanks, if you intend to use your station as a refueling point for other craft.  

-The mobile processing lab (MPL).  I refuse to use this thing for its main purpose, science farming, because I find it overpowered and not-fun.  But I still add them to all my large stations, just because they seem like something you should have. 

-Large batteries and Gigantor solar panels, especially if you intend to use the MPL.

-Docking ports.  Does not matter a lot which ones you use, as long as you match your ships to your stations.  I like the regular size ones, since they also work with the shielded and inline ports.  

-Passenger cabins.  I usually use the Hitchiker for smaller stations, and the Mk 3 passenger cabin for larger stations.  

-Larger reaction wheels, so your big station can turn.  

-A high-end probe core such as the HECS2 or small Remote Guidance Unit.  It's very helpful to be able to turn your station to point a docking port towards a targeted ship.  

-MOAR BOOSTERS to get all the aforementioned stuff into space.  TwinBoars tend to work well for this.  

Edit: one more.  The new Experiment Storage Unit is good for sucking up all the science from visiting ships, without having to EVA it over.  

Edited by Aegolius13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.