Deploy the orbiter

The challenge is to haul up ONE space shuttle and release it in orbit with the ability for command module AND shuttle crew to deorbit. (obviously you can't control the shuttle once you've let go.

RULES:

1.Only stock parts (except the orbiter)

2.Orbiter must be 'decoshuttle v 0.3' available here --> http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=808.0

(the other shuttle out there has barely any mass or drag)

2a. only one shuttle may be used on a rocket.

3.Occupants of both the shuttle AND the command module must have a way to de-orbit. (the orbiter is an SRB. Release it without igniting it)

3a. Show an image mousing over the shuttle (highlighting it and its corresponding icon) to show that it has not been fired.

4. as long as the shuttle is released while the command module is in a stable orbit, the shuttle is considered to be in orbit. (Decouplers may propel the shuttle away so that you cannot observe it throughout the course of a full orbit.

5. Post picture of rocket on launch pad, highlighted shuttle in orbit (with SRB icon visible and un-fired), and end-mission screen.

6. fewer parts = better.

Style points for circular orbit, return to launch pad, maintain visual with shuttle for a whole orbit, etc.

Here is my attempt, in a very eccentric orbit. The failure is in that I don't have the fuel for a retro-burn to get the command module back. It isn't a very hard challenge, but I blocked out some details on my orbiting rig and won't show the whole rocket at the launch pad just so people are inspired to be more creative.

Orbitproofc.jpg

Winner gets my admiration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.