Post Your Satellite Designs

Wcmille

Here's my "Northern Lights" payload from 1.0.5. This design is made for Eeloo.

The center driver rocket positions into polar orbit and scans the planet. Then the space probes are released into polar orbit at even intervals. Landing probes release to make surface contacts at various promising biomes.

C052llYVIAACx8g.jpg:large

• 9 months later...

These satellites, successfully put in LKO :

These two sats, put in orbit with a single launcher, one relay, one "regular" : 

Spoiler

DNrtCcv.png

This one, the tinest satellite I've done so far,

Spoiler

gnWFww8.png

With its launcher, which is a capsule, I was looking a SpaceX Dragon pictures, when I made this one, LOL.

Spoiler

Y32Ax5P.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/12/2016 at 7:36 AM, Wcmille said:

Here's my "Northern Lights" payload from 1.0.5. This design is made for Eeloo.

The center driver rocket positions into polar orbit and scans the planet. Then the space probes are released into polar orbit at even intervals. Landing probes release to make surface contacts at various promising biomes.

C052llYVIAACx8g.jpg:large

can i get the craft file?

I don't tend to take a lot of screenies of satellites since they are so mundane but this is a good excuse to take some! Lol.

Here's one I've really grown to love; It's what I call a; "RecoveryReconSat" and it's basic job is to rendezvous with mission critical debris and identify it/make a visual inspection of it for later retrieval by another craft. (I often find that the measurements given in the contract description aren't enough to go on when recovering modules.) It then remains in the area of the module until actual retrieval where it provides a light source if needed. This little thing has been a workhorse, I originally designed it to be small and "throw-away" planning on just sending another up when it ran out of fuel. However it's been part of more than half a dozen LKO retrievals and still has about 1,000m/s Dv left, in 9 years KSP time I've never had to send a replacement yet. The on board lights have saved me much frustration over the length of my Career save when I forgot to include them on the rescuing craft, and knowing exactly what part I have to bring down has proven indispensable when designing. I may even shed a tear someday when it comes time to replace this little guy.

AF8BBB67BC19EABBED2C898D2AF965C417418C94

It's searchlights and recognizable silhouette have been a heart-warming sight in my career for a long time now, and will be for a long time to come, I hope!

A36E96496E20EB69F3B202E0F46A8B23F8BCB331

Here's a slightly larger, more complicated sat; this was actually two separate pieces ("Castor" and "Pollux") that met up in Minmus orbit, before heading off for deep space together. As you can see; I'm a fan of the "bristling with stuff" spaceship look.

6A405C9140996EEC57022B745548ACCE647E09DC

Just a basic early game relay sat; part of my "Generation1" network. (I think I'm on Gen3 now..?) Kind of an interesting design.

FBFCF1D4BE7B5CE381B67E468BE8D0CC94921CAE

Lastly, here's my "FarSeer1" sat, looking conspicuously like a flower. This sits way, way out at 70k km and acts as a sort of deep space relay. I turned off the ground stations in my latest career save so this helps extend my signal range some-what. I'm planning on putting more up at some point, but I mostly do crewed missions so it hasn't been a huge issue. (I've built my own ground station relays as well, but they aren't "sats" so, that's for another thread I guess.)

E140D9C22DBF6BDC44004B7D59576F3AE834B16D

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

Here's a couple of my latest ones:

sLBSkYh.jpg

This first one is a fairly simple orbiter. It just has a gravioli detector on board for a contract. Not the most useful satellite, but it looks nice.

YxEyBLN.jpg

This one's more complicated. It may look like a simple orbiter at first...

CuVG8by.jpg

But it actually has two parts.

zgtQ6EU.jpg

I'm particularly pleased with the lander portion, it worked quite well for its simple purpose.

• 5 years later...
11 hours ago, SpacestationDog said:

Wow, your satellites looked so cool! I think they will look like starships if you scale them up. (:-D

It's been some time since I've posted and I have to admit I'm impressed with the current entries.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.