[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

allista

6 hours ago, allista said:

Well, there's no real background in KSP, so it's really a catch-up: all the "background" work is done the instance you switch to the workshop. But in effect it should be almost the same: a started construction should continue and progress.

Could you describe in detail what has happened?

Sure thing.

I started a new Mun base, brought down the inline workshop and a DIY with enough material kits to build my rover.  After landing and separating the DIY from my workshop, I started the build.  I then switched back to my space crane, and went up to orbit to get my next piece of my base.  When I came back down with my next piece, I went to check to see how much longer it had left.  It had the add button again.  I thought maybe I didn't wait until it actually started and took any MK, so I tried it again.  This time I waited until several MKs were consumed, switched back to the space crane, and off I went to orbit again.  Next trip down I checked again, this time it had used several (31 if memory serves) MKs, and had the add button again.  Both times I had to start over.  So what it looks like is when I went out of range it reset.  Up until now I've never gotten out of range of my DIY, doing other things like moving and joining base components, and then fast forwarding to completion.

If there is anyway I can help you run this down, please let me know.

Oh, I did update to 1.4.4

Edited by Critter79606

One more thing.  I just made a really big DIY kit in the ground assembly line, and ejecting it jumped my base really bad.  It was because it just barely fit inside it, and as the door opened it flopped around inside.  You may want to put a limit on the size of boxes it can make, with a message that an item is too big to make off world in a single piece. (I should have broke it into 2 and it would have been fine)

51 minutes ago, Critter79606 said:

One more thing.  I just made a really big DIY kit in the ground assembly line, and ejecting it jumped my base really bad.  It was because it just barely fit inside it, and as the door opened it flopped around inside.  You may want to put a limit on the size of boxes it can make, with a message that an item is too big to make off world in a single piece. (I should have broke it into 2 and it would have been fine)

The limit exists, it just seems to be too close to the colliders; or there's a problem in estimating kit's dimensions beforehand. I'll experiment with this and tune it, thanks.

After seeing a second, smaller one come out, I think the 1st was just barely too tall, bounced up into the door which caused the jump, as after it landed, it was ejected fine.  It may have been so extreme due to being on the Mun too.  I really wish they'd fix that.

I'm wondering if your issue with the DIY kit jumping between the two locations when in timewarp is an issue with colliders. One of the things I learned when I was making the energy shield for ES is that objects that collide on the same vessel will often just push each other away and not break. During timewarp, physics and collision are disabled which causes that DIY kit to move to the location of it's actual attachment. As soon as timewarp ends, physics kicks back in and forces the DIY kit back to the edge mostly. But at that point, the joint and colliders are fighting each other and I've learned that parts can be forced inside of each other by physics forces applying a sufficient amount of force.

After you break and recreate the joint, try using

CollisionManager.IgnoreCollidersOnVessel(vessel, newCollider);

on the DIY kit's collider. After breaking and recreating the joint it may necessary to tell KSP to ignore the colliders again.

18 minutes ago, Darinth said:

I'm wondering if your issue with the DIY kit jumping between the two locations when in timewarp is an issue with colliders. One of the things I learned when I was making the energy shield for ES is that objects that collide on the same vessel will often just push each other away and not break. During timewarp, physics and collision are disabled which causes that DIY kit to move to the location of it's actual attachment. As soon as timewarp ends, physics kicks back in and forces the DIY kit back to the edge mostly. But at that point, the joint and colliders are fighting each other and I've learned that parts can be forced inside of each other by physics forces applying a sufficient amount of force.

on the DIY kit's collider. After breaking and recreating the joint it may necessary to tell KSP to ignore the colliders again.

Thanks, I'll try that!

But as I'm saying in the video, it seems the kit just returns to the position of the part joint at the moment of docking. Although ModuleDockinNode doesn't seem to save anything related...

17 hours ago, Darinth said:

Alas, that didn't work.

I will have to dive into the internals of configurable joints and part joints (and underlying Unity mechanics) to make it work properly; if at all possible...

@allista  I've narrowed down the extreme jump to the box height.  I've created several large parts, and the sides never touch.  When the Inline detaches the kit, it looks like the bottom of the box is just barely below the bottom of the assembly line, causing it to jump up.  It then bounces up and hits the top of the Assembly line, causing it to jump again.

I hope this helps.

14 hours ago, mattthenub said:

So can any part be turned into a mobile workshop? And if so is it possible to raise the effiency of said part?

I believe the current functionality only has 2 GC parts and a few USI-MKS parts with the GC Workshop attribute.

I believe the USI-MKS workshop parts are at 300% and can fit 2-4 engineers, while the GC parts are 100% and the mobile workshop vehicle part can hold 12 engineers(have not looked at the GC parts since the second workshop part was added though).

While vessels can be made into mobile workshops by incorporating one or more of those parts, other parts can only be made into workshop parts with a MM script or by manually adding the tag to the part file.

Edited by Terwin

18 hours ago, mattthenub said:

another question, is it possible to store material kits?

Yes, the Configurable Containers allows these extra resources.  See the OP on the first page for the link.

29 minutes ago, tonimark said:

HELP  anyone having idea to make material kits without putting them at vab or sph

GC has ISRU patches for creating the MK resources.  Specialized Parts, and Machinery are created by the Assembly Line.  Note that you do need to start with at least 100 Machinery in order to make more Machinery or SP.

You can also use the Umbra Space Industries construction tree as an option too.

5 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

Yes, the Configurable Containers allows these extra resources.  See the OP on the first page for the link.

GC has ISRU patches for creating the MK resources.  Specialized Parts, and Machinery are created by the Assembly Line.  Note that you do need to start with at least 100 Machinery in order to make more Machinery or SP.

You can also use the Umbra Space Industries construction tree as an option too.

i dont see his post on the first page...

2 hours ago, mattthenub said:

i dont see his post on the first page...

Requirements

If you click on the ConfigurableContainers link, it lists the parts it modifies.

@allista Wanted to let you know that the max box size for the Assembly line is definitely not working right.  This DIY box I just made is way bigger than the Assembly Line's storage space.  It about shook my base apart getting it out! lol

Is there anyway to get tweakscale support added?  I'd like to make a bigger version of the Assembly Line as I'm launching from the Mun to take advantage of the low gravity, and need bigger boxes!

Thanks!

uc?export=view&id=17OpScan6j6N0e47jRYxe4

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, se5a said:

so.. is this working on 144?

was trying to install MKS on ckan but ckan says this is not compatible with 144 or something.

CKAN is cautious by default, but 1.4.* are all compatible with 1.4, o just tell CKAN that your install is 1.4 compatible and it will let you install.

The alternative is manually installing the mod(which I think is usually the recommended method in any case)

4 hours ago, Terwin said:

just tell CKAN that your install is 1.4 compatible and it will let you install.

took me a little while to figure out how to do that, after barking up the wrong tree with some commandline argument to force specific mods. I think I've got it now. thanks.