[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

allista

Need to say this out loud...

I've just spend some time working with the Tech Tree in career mode to fix some "disappeared" parts from the Hangar mod and to balance things a little in GC (beware! :cool:). And it came to me that I'm missing so bloody much not actually playing this game! Seriously, since I've started to make TCA-3 and then CC and GC I've simply stopped playing. "Not enough spare time" -- I thought -- "for both modding and playing". Yet I play a lot of other games these days. Yea, little at a time, and they're all really different from KSP, so there's diversity... but I've just forgot how much fun it is to play this one!

Also, it should be really awkward to... I don't know... to make surfing boards while living on Luna and not seeing an ocean once :rolleyes: 

Version 2.2 - In-place Construction for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5

Released on 2018-10-16

• Added ability to construct kits inside assembly spaces.
  • Named docking ports in Dockable Kit Container.
    • Only works with the newly created containers. Old ones will still have stock docking ports.
  • Added display of additional resources required for the vessel in a kit.
    • Available in the interface of any workshop and via part menu of containers.
  • Deployment Hint may be activated in Editor (and in flight) via part menu of a container.
  • Deployment speed is inverse-proportional to the kit mass, so as not to break everything with a too heavy deploying kit.
  • Spread parts along the Tech Tree more evenly:
    • Deployable Kit Container to Specialized Construction
    • Ground Assembly Line to Advanced Metalworks
    • Orbital Assembly Line/Space to Meta Materials

Download 

Hi, I was wondering what modules are specific to this Mod. Im working on a fork that contains EPL modules, however I kinda like the idea of Ground construction more, and was thinking of migrating to this mod. But I wasn't too sure on what Modules are specific to this mod in case I need to add this mod as a dependency. As there is no Wiki or information as to specific modules or sub-node options..so I wanted to ask. Im not super great at reading code. So its hard for me to see what is exactly possible with this mod if applied to other parts.

the Modules I see that 'look' specific to ground construction are:

NamedDockingNode??

DockedKitContainer

ModuleConstructionKit

ATGroundAnchor

GroundAssemblyWorkshop

AssemblySpace

ModuleProbeControlPoint??

GroundWorkshop

ModuleTankManager

SingleVesselAssemblyWorkshop

ATMagneticDamper

MultiGeometryAnimator??

Modules with ?? next to them I think are questionable if they are mod specific. (i.e: part of the stock game. Tho I wouldn't be surprised if I were wrong.)

I was wondering what sub parameters can be made in these modules(definitions and how they work) Github wikis are always useful tools ;)

Thank You!

I'm trying to build a large station using GC.

KSP freezes when it's finished construction and before the dockable container expands. I give KSP a few minutes and then click on something. The cursor spins and I'm given the option to wait or quit. ;.;

Assembly station and "Discovery One", the craft I'm trying to build.

I realize this isn't a lot to go on but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas before I start posting all the logs/versions/lists-of-installed-mods.

Edited by Teslamax

On 10/16/2018 at 8:28 AM, allista said:

Version 2.2 - In-place Construction for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5

Released on 2018-10-16

• Added ability to construct kits inside assembly spaces.
  • Named docking ports in Dockable Kit Container.
    • Only works with the newly created containers. Old ones will still have stock docking ports.
  • Added display of additional resources required for the vessel in a kit.
    • Available in the interface of any workshop and via part menu of containers.
  • Deployment Hint may be activated in Editor (and in flight) via part menu of a container.
  • Deployment speed is inverse-proportional to the kit mass, so as not to break everything with a too heavy deploying kit.
  • Spread parts along the Tech Tree more evenly:
    • Deployable Kit Container to Specialized Construction
    • Ground Assembly Line to Advanced Metalworks
    • Orbital Assembly Line/Space to Meta Materials

Download 

@allista 

Great stuff, really love it! 

Been trying out the Ground Assembly Line, and the "doors" are permanently open. There's no button in the interface to close them, and the Workshop window keeps telling me to close the Assembly Space.  

Am I missing anything? Screenshot of my setup.

1 hour ago, Frosty Jack said:

@allista 

Great stuff, really love it! 

Been trying out the Ground Assembly Line, and the "doors" are permanently open. There's no button in the interface to close them, and the Workshop window keeps telling me to close the Assembly Space.  

Am I missing anything? Screenshot of my setup.

Strange :confused:

The door should close automatically when you load a new kit and start the assembly. But on the screenshot it's open, yet has a built-but-not-spawned kit inside, which hides the "Open/Close" button. I don't understand how it's possible to come to this state... except that if there was an exception during the kit loading phase; then the close animation may have been not triggered.

I would love to see the logs (output_log.txt [win] or Player.log [mac/linux]), but it's likely that you've restarted the game, so the logs were overwritten. Anyways, try to finalize the kit once more and then share the logs, please.

1 hour ago, allista said:

Strange :confused:

The door should close automatically when you load a new kit and start the assembly. But on the screenshot it's open, yet has a built-but-not-spawned kit inside, which hides the "Open/Close" button. I don't understand how it's possible to come to this state... except that if there was an exception during the kit loading phase; then the close animation may have been not triggered.

I would love to see the logs (output_log.txt [win] or Player.log [mac/linux]), but it's likely that you've restarted the game, so the logs were overwritten. Anyways, try to finalize the kit once more and then share the logs, please.

Output Log after reloading and coming back to it.  FYI, the "door" to the Ground Assembly Line open up in the VAB too, with no button to close them.  

Just noticed that the update was for 1.4.5, but I'm using 1.5.1.  Would this likely be the issue?  The DIY kits all seemed to work fine as I deployed them (even built the Ground Assembly Line using a DIY box and Material Kits).  

Relatively clean install.  Just used the Constellation pack from USI, plus KIS/KAS.  Also have KJR, KER, PartCommander, PreciseNode and AGExt.

:) 

On 10/24/2018 at 6:05 PM, Frosty Jack said:

Output Log after reloading and coming back to it.  FYI, the "door" to the Ground Assembly Line open up in the VAB too, with no button to close them.  

Just noticed that the update was for 1.4.5, but I'm using 1.5.1.  Would this likely be the issue?  The DIY kits all seemed to work fine as I deployed them (even built the Ground Assembly Line using a DIY box and Material Kits).  

Relatively clean install.  Just used the Constellation pack from USI, plus KIS/KAS.  Also have KJR, KER, PartCommander, PreciseNode and AGExt.

:) 

There's a problem with the installation:

Could not load file or assembly '001_AnisotropicPartResizer, Version=1.2.0.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

So the AT_Utils install is incomplete. I'll check distributions for errors, but meanwhile you can just download AT_Utils here and install it to fix the problem.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:53 PM, allista said:

There's a problem with the installation:

Could not load file or assembly '001_AnisotropicPartResizer, Version=1.2.0.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

So the AT_Utils install is incomplete. I'll check distributions for errors, but meanwhile you can just download AT_Utils here and install it to fix the problem.

Brilliant, thanks! I'd have never spotted anything like that. I'll give it try during the week. 

:cool:

Hi folks,

I've been playing the mod for some time and I really love it, but now I ran into a problem that threatens to spoil it for me: When I click to create a new empty(!) Dockable Kit Container from the Workshop in the Orbital Assembly Line, the container comes into existence in the Orbital Assembly Space and immediately explodes!

Restarting doesn't help. I am using only KIS, KAS and Umbra MKS in addition to Ground Construction.

I can create a Ground Kit Container with no problems, but that one ofc doesn't help me in space.

Has anybody seen or heard about this effect, and knows or suspects what causes it or how to prevent it?

Feedback very much appreciated!
Greetings
Florian

Edited by flopi

First of all, congratulations Allista on this new release. I have been waiting for years for this mod to allow me to play completely cut-off from Kerbin!

Now to business:

1) What do i need to change in what files in order to make the ground workshops operate in space as well ? It's an aestetic thing, some of those planetary base ship components make an mean looking cruiser when combined right.
I noticed the lines:

workshopType = GROUND

and 

workshopType = ORBITAL

I assume i need to change ground to orbital in said config file. Is there a way to have a component use both kind?

2) What do i need to change in both DIY kit construction and assembly line so that a space station would take years to build, not days ? I figured out what WorkPerMass does in GroundConstruction.glob but i'm not sure how to change ComplexityWork. Should I leave that untouched or scale that one as well proportionally? 

3) One one of my tests the orbital poof-construction of one ship was a bit violent and broke off one of its wings (a small aircraft). On another test, the same ship was constructed with no issues.

4) A suggestion t consider for the future, although it may be difficult to implement: Ship update. Often i redesign a ship like 5 times before i'm truly happy with it. I'd like a mechanic to update my ships to the newly designed version. 
The minor stuff like moving the rcs to the right a bit i can do with kis/kas, but bigger stuff like changing the size of the reaction wheels and the batteries is more complicated and it usually requires launching/constructing a new ship altogether.

Edited by Nicky21

Bug report:

The construction is stalled very often due to EC missing. I have a storage of 15000 ec but more than enough solar panels. The kit requires 40k EC. I set the construction up, then come back a month later to find out that only 2% has been done adn construction has been stalled due to not enough energy. However if i stay on the same vessel everything goes smoothly.

6 hours ago, Nicky21 said:

Bug report:

The construction is stalled very often due to EC missing. I have a storage of 15000 ec but more than enough solar panels. The kit requires 40k EC. I set the construction up, then come back a month later to find out that only 2% has been done adn construction has been stalled due to not enough energy. However if i stay on the same vessel everything goes smoothly.

Is the vessel in sun-light during the KSP catch-up calculations?

Do you have enough energy storage for 6 hours of work per update-chunk?

There is a incompatibility with Kerbal Joint Reinforcements. Which sucks cuz onyl with KJR i can deploy big ships without them going poof.

When you deploy the orbital kit construction and have KJR installed, the kit gets deployed inside the ship that is docked to, resulting into a big explosion because of the overlap. Without KJR, the kit deploys normally without problems.
However, when you launch the new ship without KJR ( and mind you this was a pretty big ship ) the new ship suffers an initial shock when its created and thus explodes. ,In the best case scenario (i did 10 tries) it broke up the solar panels/comunotrons.  With KJR installed, the initial deploying shock is much attenuated and the ships survives intact on launch.

The solution so far is to instal KJR only when deploying big ships and uninstaing it when you depoy the kit.

Also, with big ships, the ships launches a bit inside of your construction starbase which results into an instant boom. the solution so far is pretty simple; i  changed the launch spawn variable from

SpawnOffset = 0, -1, 0

to

SpawnOffset = 0, 0, 0
and it fixed the issue. I mean it looks weird the ships spawning far away but weird is better than boom.

Later edit:

Regarding ships going poof when they're launched, i found a second solution:
If the root part of the ship is a sturdy one (for instance i used the orbital workshop as root) the ship barely suffers any shock when launched and can be launched safely. However if you use a smaller part ( i used the MKS circular storage tanks in the ship that went poof 10 times ) the shock that is sent throughout the ship works like a domino effect and is much bigger. 
I hope this helps somewhat.

Edited by Nicky21

On 11/2/2018 at 2:20 PM, Nicky21 said:

1) What do i need to change in what files in order to make the ground workshops operate in space as well ? It's an aestetic thing, some of those planetary base ship components make an mean looking cruiser when combined right.
I noticed the lines:

workshopType = GROUND

and 

workshopType = ORBITAL

I've looked at this recently too, in the interest of adding orbital construction support to the MKS Tundra Workshop part (as a local MM patch for myself, or maybe as a pull request to submit to MKS).  Here's what I found:

• The Tundra workshop already has a GroundConstruction module.  The simplest way to add orbital construction support is to add a SingleVesselConstructionWorkshop module with workshopType = ORBITAL.  That allows it to do construction in both places, but the part's right-click menu ends up with two "Workshop Window" buttons, one for each module, which is awkward.
  • An alternative might be to remove the GroundConstruction module and have just a SingleVesselConstructionWorkshop with workshopType = OMNI, which allows the module to operate both on the ground and in orbit.  Unfortunately, that leaves it only able to construct kits that are docked to the same vessel as the workshop.  It doesn't recognize disconnected kits on the ground nearby, because the code for finding those is specific to the GroundConstruction module.

So it doesn't look like there's a clean way to do it currently, though the first option is an OK workaround.

I'm also interested in adding kit assembly support to the MKS Tundra Assembly Plant part — both ground and orbital assembly.  That might have similar issues, though I haven't experimented with it yet.  (Also, ground assembly support would need a separate ground AssemblySpace part, since the Tundra part's model doesn't have a place for that.  But that's a separate issue.)

On a related note, the Tundra Assembly Plant currently has a GroundWorkshop module with Efficiency = 3.  If it supports kit construction (in addition to the new assembly feature) then it ought to support it in orbit too, just like the Tundra Workshop, but SingleVesselConstructionWorkshop doesn't support the Efficiency multiplier.  Alternatively, it might make sense to just remove the construction support entirely, in exchange for gaining assembly support instead.  (This would be consistent with how GC's own parts do it, with separate parts for assembly and construction.)

Pinging both @allista and @RoverDude for thoughts, since this sort of thing looks like it would involve changes in both GC code and MKS parts.

21 hours ago, Nicky21 said:

Another question i have: what do i need to do to make sure the production of various workshops scales appropriately with tweakscale ?

Workshops provide a multiple to the Kerbals inside, as such, if tweakscale adjusts the number of seats(I think it does, but I have not used it in a while), that will automatically adjust the productivity of the workshop by letting you add more workers.

I've just started using this mod. What am I doing wrong?
Ive got a workshop here, a mining/ISRU unit and a craft kit. There are engineers in the workshop and plenty of power to everything.
GLCon-01.png

Notice here, its saying the MaterialKits are "full".
GLCon-02.png

How are MaterialKits stored? I've looked and haven't found a storage container or tank to hold them.
I MUST be missing something here.

Umm.. Really? I thought I could use Ground Construction without USI.. How much of it do I need to install?

I think it's pretty late in this particular career game to start adding life support. Got too many Kerbals, scattered about the solar system in cans!! I've been considering starting over, with a fresh 1.5 install, though i want to wait till all my favorite mods are working on it. I'm currently running 1.4.5

Edited by Donkey32

11 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Well yes materialkits were created for USI mods, but Ground construction is supposed to work both with them and standalone.

Ok. well, when i try to add this craft kit to the build queue, it complains i don''t have enough material kits, but i see no way to build and store them. what am i doing wrong?