allista

[1.4.5] Global Construction

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Esendis said:

Got it ;) For a second there I was afraid that you had abandoned the DIY idea. That box is a frigin lifesaver when deploying new bases...

No way I'd do it! :cool:

But space docks that will build ships from DIY kits right in orbit are also on their way. So in the end you'll be able to both produce a kit and build from it anywhere, in any combination. Like make kits on a metal rich asteroid base, then land them on the surface to build bases; or make kits on the surface, than launch them to an orbital docks and build ships there. Or even make a full cycle shipyard that builds and launches ships from raw materials...

*Looked at what I've just wrote and shuddered at the scale of it. One step at a time :confused:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, allista said:

But space docks that will build ships from DIY kits right in orbit are also on their way. So in the end you'll be able to both produce a kit and build from it anywhere, in any combination. Like make kits on a metal rich asteroid base, then land them on the surface to build bases; or make kits on the surface, than launch them to an orbital docks and build ships there. Or even make a full cycle shipyard that builds and launches ships from raw materials...

*Looked at what I've just wrote and shuddered at the scale of it. One step at a time :confused:

You've set the bar pretty high.

Well, folks, you saw it here first...in writing.  No going back now :cool:

Edited by Brigadier
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 7:00 AM, allista said:

No. It's just that the DIY Kit is an actual craft that has to be spawned like any other. It doesn't matter if it has a single part or a whole hundred of them :rolleyes:

Since it sounds like this may be within the scope of the changes you're making, I'd like to re-suggest an idea that someone posted in one of RoverDude's threads (MKS or Konstruction) awhile back: ability to extend existing vessels with GC instead of creating new ones.  Imagine a DIYKit that holds a subassembly and docks onto something like a Konstruction port before being built, and when construction is completed, it spawns the subassembly onto existing vessel.

(Or maybe that's a completely different can of worms and way out of scope for what you're working on.  If so, no problem.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the post a page back about making materialkits through the ISRU available through the MM config you made, it says @PART[ISRU]:NEEDS[!KolonyTools], so what is kolonytools? I take it this mod has a dependency for that option? I would like to be able to make materialkits without downloading another mod I don't need/want.

Or is it that the "!" means exclude, and it won't make a change if that mod is installed? I have yet to get to use the ISRU in this modded save to find out if I can make the material kits. Just looking for some clarification.

Edited by JonBar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wyzard said:

Since it sounds like this may be within the scope of the changes you're making, I'd like to re-suggest an idea that someone posted in one of RoverDude's threads (MKS or Konstruction) awhile back: ability to extend existing vessels with GC instead of creating new ones.  Imagine a DIYKit that holds a subassembly and docks onto something like a Konstruction port before being built, and when construction is completed, it spawns the subassembly onto existing vessel.

(Or maybe that's a completely different can of worms and way out of scope for what you're working on.  If so, no problem.)

Well, the thing you ask has considerably different mechanics: one thing is to spawn a new vessel in space at designated location/rotation/speed and so on; quite different is to spawn it and immediately dock to a node instead of a container. There's also a matter of some restrictions: judging by an unloaded .craft file I should be able to tell if it's feasible to dock the root part to anything, like if it has an available stack node and if so how it is oriented; and how to ensure the spawned thing does not intersect with anything already present in the area (currently this is solved by the physically growing container). I'm sure there's much more problems that will became apparent if I start to work on this.

But I like the idea on the whole. So I'll seriously consider it: https://github.com/allista/GroundConstruction/issues/35

3 hours ago, JonBar said:

I read the post a page back about making materialkits through the ISRU available through the MM config you made, it says @PART[ISRU]:NEEDS[!KolonyTools], so what is kolonytools? I take it this mod has a dependency for that option? I would like to be able to make materialkits without downloading another mod I don't need/want.

Or is it that the "!" means exclude, and it won't make a change if that mod is installed? I have yet to get to use the ISRU in this modded save to find out if I can make the material kits. Just looking for some clarification.

That's simple: "!" means NOT. And the KolonyTools is the MKS (its .dll is called so).

So the patch is applied IF you do NOT have MKS installed.

Edited by allista
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to expand the DIYkit without it shooting up into the sky? I tried to do a search on that but am not getting the wording right to find a match. It expands fine when just placed on the runway but when delivered it expands then shoots off like a rocket, I've tried different time warp speeds and everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JonBar said:

Is there a way to expand the DIYkit without it shooting up into the sky? I tried to do a search on that but am not getting the wording right to find a match. It expands fine when just placed on the runway but when delivered it expands then shoots off like a rocket, I've tried different time warp speeds and everything.

Read this post with the explanations, please: 

I'm working on this problem, but basically -- no time warp when deploying a kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JonBar said:

Is there a way to expand the DIYkit without it shooting up into the sky? I tried to do a search on that but am not getting the wording right to find a match. It expands fine when just placed on the runway but when delivered it expands then shoots off like a rocket, I've tried different time warp speeds and everything.

This has always fixed it for me.  It helps with screen load and coming out of warp when working on planets.

 

@allista I grabbed the latest nightly (I think Thursday), and I'm not having anymore issues loading the hanger mod.  Not sure what was going on.

I see there are two places that tell you how many material kits you need to build a box.  The one in the vab/sph looks correct, the one in the build menu looks a bit off.

That ISRU trailer I use for testing showed 5.6k in the sph, but 7.7k in the menu.  I did some quick math, and it looks like the sph one is correct.  It's not a big deal, I just thought I'd let you know they didn't match.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2018 at 6:28 PM, allista said:

Version 1.3.0 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.3

Released on 2018-05-10

  • Added on-demand rendering of spawn transform's forward direction
  • Fix for EL 6.0 by LatiMacciato
  • Added DIY kit size constraints. Code greatly improved by llinard
  • Fixed KitRes display and Remaining Structure Mass calculation.
  • Fixed SpaceCrane RCS effects.

 Download 

Is that the updated version for KSP 1.4.3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dryo said:

Is that the updated version for KSP 1.4.3?

Please read your quote again, and yes I confirm it's working completely for 1.4.3 :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just grabbed it.  Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Did anything get added to the top yet for grabbing it?  Just want to make sure I send the right rover to move it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

Just grabbed it.  Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Did anything get added to the top yet for grabbing it?  Just want to make sure I send the right rover to move it.

There's an invisible docking port at the top, working for all stock sizes. Not marked in any way yet, so if you happen to flip the box, you'll have to find it :sticktongue:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, allista said:

There's an invisible docking port at the top, working for all stock sizes. Not marked in any way yet, so if you happen to flip the box, you'll have to find it :sticktongue:

@allista have you tried to use the dock port yet?  I can't get it to work.  I think it's getting stuck below the expanded box, where the original DIY kit height is, making it not accessible.  Even using my docking alignment mod it's not allowing me to align to it.  The normal lines never show correct orientation.

I at first went to figure out why the staging on the docking port wasn't working, and I came up with this patch which made it able to be staged.

@PART[DIYKit]:NEEDS[GroundConstruction]
{
    stagingIcon = DECOUPLER_VERT
    @MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
    {
        name = ModuleDockingNode
        referenceAttachNode = top
        nodeType = size1
        stagingEnabled = False
    }

}

I changed it to a single size in order to eliminate my not being able to pick it up with my trailer rig to the multiple sizes, but I still couldn't.

I gave up for now, as I think it is stuck below the top of the box, and that's why I can't pick it up (but I can't prove it).  For now I just changed my rig and put on a patch to put the Decoupler back on so I can put a normal port on the top for when I'm delivering my first DIY kit via staging.  As you can see below I changed my DIY transport to work w/o the docking port for now.

I also found that with the new display hint (which is great btw), if you take the loaded box off of the vessel you are constructing in the VAB/SPH (turns it red), and put it back on, the display hint doesn't work when you launch.  If you trash the box, put an empty DIY on, and load it, it works again.  I don't think it's worth chasing, but if someone complains about it not showing up, this could be why.  Creating one from the new factory shouldn't have this issue either, though I've not got that component tested yet.

Have  you had a chance to figure out why my boxes get expanded so big yet?  I'm still having this issue.  I"m not sure you were ever able to reproduce it, and your video on the new stuff showed a normal sized box compared to mine.

uc?export=view&id=1VECnd41ec6ySiZEUOtLly

The ISRU trailer in the DIY box is the same one I tested and posted an images before with, isn't much bigger than the trailer above (without the truck).

I did grab a log to go with this picture (yes, I finally remembered).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1twOLWLO4SbezQnt7Mqj1jldTrqFpCPIW

I'm going to try to test more stuff tomorrow.

As always, thanks for the great work!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having a problem where when I select a craft in the DIY tool kit, the vessel loads but is seen completely on the screen. I can't figure out how to make it store inside the kit.

I use ksp version 1.4.3, which ckan says is compatible.

I also have kerbalX installed.

seems like ckan failed to download the CRP. testing in serious progress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

** FEATURE REQUEST **

Hey thanks for the work on this mod! I have ground construction core installed from ckan (dependency for Umbra Kolonization ) with KSP 1.4.3. 

I haven't used it much but had a (hopefully) small request: Could you provide a way to disable the Unity skin for GUI? I really prefer the default KSP skin. Thanks again!

https://imgur.com/a/WeX86sT

Edited by SomeWebDevGuy
words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SomeWebDevGuy said:

** FEATURE REQUEST **

Hey thanks for the work on this mod! I have ground construction core installed from ckan (dependency for Umbra Kolonization ) with KSP 1.4.3. 

I haven't used it much but had a (hopefully) small request: Could you provide a way to disable the Unity skin for GUI? I really prefer the default KSP skin. Thanks again!

https://imgur.com/a/WeX86sT

I'm afraid I can't. All my mods use the same library to handle UI and its style. Changing it will cause many things in more complex, hand-tailored interfaces to go awry. Besides, KSP's style is a huge waste of screen space. Look at TCA's control panel and try to imagine it with KSP's style. Usability here is a greater concern than the looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

@allista have you tried to use the dock port yet?  I can't get it to work.  I think it's getting stuck below the expanded box, where the original DIY kit height is, making it not accessible.  Even using my docking alignment mod it's not allowing me to align to it.  The normal lines never show correct orientation.

Thanks for the report; fixed it. The cause was not the position of the docking node transform, but rather its orientation, which has changed in KSP since I last made docking ports :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

I also found that with the new display hint (which is great btw), if you take the loaded box off of the vessel you are constructing in the VAB/SPH (turns it red), and put it back on, the display hint doesn't work when you launch. 

Couldn't reproduce this. No matter what I did with the kit in editor (detached, reattached, left detached and played with other parts before attaching it again...), it has always shown the correct hint in flight.
Did you enabled it in GC's main window afterwards with the "Show Deploy Hints" button?

17 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

Have  you had a chance to figure out why my boxes get expanded so big yet?

There's too many mods to install to try, sorry. Could you try to make a vessel that has a similar problem, but with minimal amount of non-stock parts? This would help me in that I won't have to guess which part causing this effect.

Anyway, I have a pretty good idea of what's causing it. We have similar problem with any vessel that has a stock drill part. The algorithm I use to calculate ship dimensions does not, for some reason, recognize the fact that the parts of the drill are bones-animated; and sees them as separate meshes placed here and there in space... so the calculated size of a drill is, well, huge. like some 50m across,  or more.

I've uploaded the next nightbuild with the docking port fix and some other minor fixes.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, allista said:

Thanks for the report; fixed it. The cause was not the position of the docking node transform, but rather its orientation, which has changed in KSP since I last made docking ports :rolleyes:

Great, is this available for download yet so I can update my copy?  I've been trying to figure it out without any luck.

4 minutes ago, allista said:

Couldn't reproduce this. No matter what I did with the kit in editor (detached, reattached, left detached and played with other parts before attaching it again...), it has always shown the correct hint in flight.
Did you enabled it in GC's main window afterwards with the "Show Deploy Hints" button?

Yea, it worked, and when I changed the trailer parts, I had disconnected it, and re-attached it.  I re-created it and it worked again.  

I have 200+ mods, so it very well could be a small conflict.  Since it can be made to work again, I'd just put it in the "known issues" and let it be.  Trying to figure out what mod did it would take me months. lol

8 minutes ago, allista said:

Anyway, I have a pretty good idea of what's causing it. We have similar problem with any vessel that has a stock drill part. The algorithm I use to calculate ship dimensions does not, for some reason, recognize the fact that the parts of the drill are bones-animated; and sees them as separate meshes placed here and there in space... so the calculated size of a drill is, well, huge. like some 50m across,  or more.

I have a stock alike drill on it.  That must be it.  I'll build something without a drill and see if it's smaller.  Thanks, that gave me a hint.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Critter79606 said:

Great, is this available for download yet so I can update my copy?

Yep. In the same shared folder on Dropbox as usual.

8 hours ago, Xd the great said:

I am having a problem where when I select a craft in the DIY tool kit, the vessel loads but is seen completely on the screen. I can't figure out how to make it store inside the kit.

I use ksp version 1.4.3, which ckan says is compatible.

I also have kerbalX installed.

seems like ckan failed to download the CRP. testing in serious progress

It looks like installation problem. Share you output_log.txt please, then I can tell more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allista said:

 

It looks like installation problem. Share you output_log.txt please, then I can tell more.

Hmm. Where is the log? Cant seem to find it like i did in the old versions.

Also, manual install helps. Stuff isnt broke again. Thanks a lot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@allista I can confirm the docking issue is solved.   I was able to grab the box with a docking port. 

I can also confirm it is the drill that is causing the box to be way too big.  Maybe you can come up with a scaling equation for drill parts when you have some spare time? (yea what is that you ask...)

It does appear that you put in the wrong staging icon though for the top port.  I think the KSP logic is reversed, as their horizontal tag triggers the || icon, where the vert tag does the ___ icon.

uc?export=view&id=1JeldqVoigiQCuXRLz40Q1

 

I also created a cfg for a hybrid docking port to cut down on my part list for my orbiting stations.  I was wondering if you would like to use it.  It marries the graphics and capabilities of the normal and Sr clamp-o-trons into a single part.  I got tired of trying to put one inside the other, and not having it work sometimes because I was off by a couple pixels on placement. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zhhtw6m6azXMuEmINbKocgRTgeDTtvOH 

There is support for Indicator Lights and StationPartsExpansionRedux included.

uc?export=view&id=1ZcJqQ6wruJJfwG7HbGPC-

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

It does appear that you put in the wrong staging icon though for the top port.  I think the KSP logic is reversed, as their horizontal tag triggers the || icon, where the vert tag does the ___ icon

Yea, right, thanks :blush:

6 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

Maybe you can come up with a scaling equation for drill parts

It's not that simple. Look at the actual model. The problem is not some scale, but the arbitrary placement of model pieces. If it can be like this, it can be anything -- for all I know, some parts could easily be placed in a neighbouring universe. So I need the general solution. After all, the drill is rendered as one piece somehow. 

ScaryImpressionableBass-size_restricted.

 

Edited by allista

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, while trying to build a DIY kit by loading a vessel ftom the DIY kit part, I am getting this error:

 

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'PreFlightCheck.RunTests'.
  at KSP.UI.Screens.CraftBrowserDialog.onPipelineFinished (.ConfigNode n, KSP.UI.Screens.CraftEntry sItem, LoadType loadType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.CraftBrowserDialog+<pipeSelectedItem>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0 (.ConfigNode n) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSPUpgradePipeline.Process (.ConfigNode n, System.String saveName, LoadContext loadContext, .Callback`1 onSucceed, .Callback`2 onFail) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.CraftBrowserDialog.pipeSelectedItem (KSP.UI.Screens.CraftEntry sItem, LoadType loadType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.CraftBrowserDialog.onButtonLoad () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(GameObject, BaseEventData, EventFunction`1)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMousePress(MouseButtonEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent(Int32)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:Process()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

 

KSP 1.4.3 plus a bunch of other mods:

 

xbqecRr.png

Any idea about the problem ?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, does the crash occurs everytime you load a vessel into the kit?

Also, any outdated mods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now