[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

allista

@allista congratz on the release.  Started on my Mun base.

uc?export=view&id=1sD3Rtw799zmwE9XXpAPIb

uc?export=view&id=1v52scZ8e6O1Sk0thqJpk5

I am having one minor issue.  I use ship manifest to move my kerbals around, and after moving them from the construction to the inline assembly or back, I have to eva one of them and re-board to get it to register all the kerbals so I can build or assemble something.  It's not anything that is stopping me from doing anything, but wanted to report it.  I know ship manifest over-rides the default transfers.

Oh, and is there any way to teach the construction windows to re-open at their last position?  The overlapping windows in the upper right is a pain sometimes to grab.

Thanks!!

Edited by Critter79606

9 hours ago, Bionic bulldog said:

HI

Just installed the GC2 to try out rather than using EL which seems to have stopped working for me.. I have now lost both my VAB icon and Main toolbar icon. any ideas.

PS I do have MKS installed as well/

thanks

This looks like installation problem; share the KSP_Data\output_log.txt and we'll see what's wrong.

5 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

@allista congratz on the release.  Started on my Mun base.

I am having one minor issue.  I use ship manifest to move my kerbals around, and after moving them from the construction to the inline assembly or back, I have to eva one of them and re-board to get it to register all the kerbals so I can build or assemble something.  It's not anything that is stopping me from doing anything, but wanted to report it.  I know ship manifest over-rides the default transfers.

Oh, and is there any way to teach the construction windows to re-open at their last position?  The overlapping windows in the upper right is a pain sometimes to grab.

Thanks!!

GC detects crew transfers through the standard GameEvents.onVesselCrewWasModified event, that is fired by both stock crew transfer and a kerbal going through an airlock.

It seems that Crew Manifest does not use it, hence GC cannot track the change. So I guess it's better to pass that issue to the Crew Manifest devs.

16 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Will you consider lowering the cost of compacted rockets? Its not like we have to buy all the materials and pay for salaries of construction workers?

For reality's sake?

If by compacted rockets you mean the kits, they always cost LESS than the dry ships stored in them.

Otherwise you need to be more specific.

11 minutes ago, allista said:

If by compacted rockets you mean the kits, they always cost LESS than the dry ships stored in them.

Otherwise you need to be more specific.

wow, i used to think that they cost just as same.

Sorry. My bad.

Anyway, how is the discount calculated?

1 hour ago, allista said:

This looks like installation problem; share the KSP_Data\output_log.txt and we'll see what's wrong.

Loojs like you were correct so i took another look at the installation.

If i installed mks only without GC, icons would be present.

If i indtalled GC eithout mks, icons would be present.

Installed both with mks first then installed GC. No icons.

Installed GC first then MKS. Icons were back again.

So must be a confluct with mks, and for some reason mks has to be installed after GC. Not had time to go through everything to see if anything not working but so far so good.

1 hour ago, Bionic bulldog said:

Loojs like you were correct so i took another look at the installation.

If i installed mks only without GC, icons would be present.

If i indtalled GC eithout mks, icons would be present.

Installed both with mks first then installed GC. No icons.

Installed GC first then MKS. Icons were back again.

So must be a confluct with mks, and for some reason mks has to be installed after GC. Not had time to go through everything to see if anything not working but so far so good.

MKS comes bundled with Ground Construction 1 (pre version 2).

Roverdude has said that there will be a MKS update soontm

1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

wow, i used to think that they cost just as same.

Sorry. My bad.

Anyway, how is the discount calculated?

First, all but a few resources are stripped, so it's the mostly dry ship cost we're comparing with.

Then, for each part of the ship a parameter named complexity is calculated as a function of mass/cost ratio and number of modules the part has and such. The function is hyperbolic in nature. 

So, the complexity is a number between 0 and 1. And the cost (and mass) of the part in the kit is (1-complexity) times smaller than that of the dry part + non-stripped resources, if any.

23 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

great, i encountered another problem after I deleted and reinstalled this mod for fun.

Now my game automatically crashes.

log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/05degllqffojfh4/error.log?dl=0

Unfortunately, this log doesn't tell much. But in any case you need to carefully check the installation. Everything inside the GameData folder in the archive should be present in your KSP's GameData. This includes 000_AT_Utils (and everything in it), ConfigurableContainers (several configs only) and GroundConstruction itself.

3 minutes ago, allista said:

First, all but a few resources are stripped, so it's the mostly dry ship cost we're comparing with.

Then, for each part of the ship a parameter named complexity is calculated as a function of mass/cost ratio and number of modules the part has and such. The function is hyperbolic in nature. 

So, the complexity is a number between 0 and 1. And the cost (and mass) of the part in the kit is (1-complexity) times smaller than that of the dry part + non-stripped resources, if any.

Unfortunately, this log doesn't tell much. But in any case you need to carefully check the installation. Everything inside the GameData folder in the archive should be present in your KSP's GameData. This includes 000_AT_Utils (and everything in it), ConfigurableContainers (several configs only) and GroundConstruction itself.

hmm. After some tedious work, seems to be a airbag mod.

11 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

Positions of construction windows are saved per-part, so you'll have to move each of them first, then they'll remember.

9 hours ago, Xd the great said:

how do you produce special parts?

or other machinery and stuff?

or material kits?

If you don't have MKS:

The ISRU and mini ISRU makes Material Kits from Ore.

The Assembly Line makes Specialized Parts from Material Kits - Part Printer. (Requires machinery)

The Assembly Line makes Machinery from Material Kits & Specialized Parts - Replicator. (Requires machinery)

If you have MKS installed, you must follow the USI resource chain.

Edited by Critter79606

@allista Here are some more patches for different ISRU units for other mods to add the Material Kits to them.  I scaled them based on their scaling to the original stock ISRU and miniISRU.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_bth3AcT2mRlSkuAWY6n0M762gwhgmaY

Also, can you add the following to your OUTPUT_RESOURCE lines so they don't waist resources when the storage is full?  This allows the Ore to be diverted to creating another resource that doesn't have full storage automatically.  I've already included in the file link above.

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
        {
            ResourceName = MaterialKits
            Ratio = 0.0075
            DumpExcess = false
        }

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

If you don't have MKS:

The ISRU and mini ISRU makes Material Kits from Ore.

The Assembly Line makes Specialized Parts from Material Kits - Part Printer. (Requires machinery)

The Assembly Line makes Machinery from Material Kits & Specialized Parts - Replicator. (Requires machinery)

If you have MKS installed, you must follow the USI resource chain.

so i need machinery to produce machinery?

will machinery be consumed when i am producing machinery?

2 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Yea, unfortunately, this is the way USI (MKS) has it setup, and Allista is just following Rover Dude's model.  Just make sure to send up a few hundred machinery to your base to begin with.  Machinery is basically the way you keep machines working over time to cover use and repairs.  USI has a way to turn off using machinery, but I looked and couldn't find a way to detect that in USI and turn it off in GC as well.

5 hours ago, Xd the great said:

It will not; 100 units of machinery is required for the assembly line to work, but it is not consumed in the process.

On the other hand, using a working assembly line you can produce new assembly lines by making enough spare machinery and a kit.

In a sense, it's the living matter principle: you can't start from scratch, but you can bring a small seed of your civilization and spawn from it.

5 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

Yea, unfortunately, this is the way USI (MKS) has it setup, and Allista is just following Rover Dude's model.  Just make sure to send up a few hundred machinery to your base to begin with.  Machinery is basically the way you keep machines working over time to cover use and repairs.  USI has a way to turn off using machinery, but I looked and couldn't find a way to detect that in USI and turn it off in GC as well.

Nah, there's no way to disable this short of modifying GroundAssemblyLine.cfg

What could be done, though, is one can include Machinery in non-strippable recourse list, so that DIY Kits created in Editor will retain the machinery in parts where it is stored (like the assembly line). The kits will be heavier, of course, but that will simplify the logistics. Oh... I have another thought; the whole process of stripping resources may be user-controllable. So when you make a kit, you can make a choice of what resources to remove and what to keep in the kit.

Also, MKS bundled GC most likely will not have neither the Part Printer nor the Replicator.

Edited by allista

3 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

@allista  Is the building process supposed to continue in the background?  I dropped a couple things from orbit, started a DIY box to build, went back to orbit, and when I came back, I had to restart the process from scratch, yet it used a few MK units.

Well, there's no real background in KSP, so it's really a catch-up: all the "background" work is done the instance you switch to the workshop. But in effect it should be almost the same: a started construction should continue and progress.

Could you describe in detail what has happened?