[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

allista

Ground Construction v1.1.1 for KSP 1.2.2 (2017.02.06)

ChangeLog:

Spoiler
  • DIY Kit renaming in editor and in flight.
  • Improved User Interface
    • DIY Kits are higlighted when mouse is hovered over their respective infos in Construction Window.
    • Efficiency and available Workforce are displayed at the top of the Construction Window and in the tooltips of the workshop fields in the Workshop List.
    • Workshop List now groups workshops by vessel and sorts them by planet and alphabetically.
    • Planet and Vessel fields in the Workshop List when pressed focus the camera on the corresponding planet/vessel in Map View or Tracking Station.
    • Workshop fileds of the active vessel when pressed toggle respective Construction Windows.
  • Added another 3s delay before fixing Kit to the ground.
  • For modders: added check for non-existing MODULE[NotGroundWorkshop] to blacklist parts to which GroundWorkshop module should not be added by MM.

For modders: added check for non-existing MODULE[NotGroundWorkshop] to blacklist parts to which GroundWorkshop module should not be added by MM.

Just out of curiosity - and to make sure it's documented - what's the intended behavior when both NotGroundWorkshop and GroundWorkshop are on the same part?  (You know it will happen eventually...)

17 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Just out of curiosity - and to make sure it's documented - what's the intended behavior when both NotGroundWorkshop and GroundWorkshop are on the same part?  (You know it will happen eventually...)

GroundWorkshop takes precedence over NotGroundWorkshop.

NotGroundWorkshop is only a tag for MM, nothing more.

So the intended behavior of a modder is to use "NotGroundWorkshop" only to tag parts that should not be touched by MM patch that installs GroundWorkshop module everywhere :D

*edit: and as I said, your proposition is also implemented. Using MODULE name=GoundWorkshop with isEnabled=false will work likewise.

Edited by allista

I have a fairly consistent rate in which my constructions keep stopping.   I haven't nailed  it down exactly, but it almost seems when I land a new craft within rendering range of the base?

Is there any known issues that I can read through to see if those might be what I am doing or encountering?

2 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I have a fairly consistent rate in which my constructions keep stopping.   I haven't nailed  it down exactly, but it almost seems when I land a new craft within rendering range of the base?

Is there any known issues that I can read through to see if those might be what I am doing or encountering?

How does it stops? Do you see any on-screen message? Or is the status of the construction changes in the Workshop List window (the one you summon with the AppLauncher button)?

27 minutes ago, allista said:

How does it stops? Do you see any on-screen message? Or is the status of the construction changes in the Workshop List window (the one you summon with the AppLauncher button)?

I don't want to muddy the waters... I did once get a message that it was done, the status screen showed green, but the Kerbal wasn't able to launch it and when I reload it into a construction window, there was still a good chunk of work to be done.  So, I didn't loose any kits or production percentage. 

The other two times, there was no messages, but the status screen showed green text.

3 hours ago, allista said:

Alright.. I was finally able to catch a message.. When I am coming into the base, and the render range messages start to flow, there is one about "can't build while moving"...    Hope that helps.

Coming over from learning that GC is now the official construction dependency for MKS... I see in the MKS thread that you are discussing a way to build DIY kits off-world and I just want to throw my opinion in that that will be absolutely crucial for base building.... it's not feasible to wait years for a DIY kit to ship in from home for your base upgrade, especially if it's an emergency of some kind. My general strategy is to try to build a self-sufficient MKS base (or at least capable of lasting a long time without a shipment from home), and then use that base to build crafts to farm out the science in a system. If every craft has to have a DIY kit shipped from home, it's just not going to work.

Of course, I could keep EL, and will for now, but it will bug the heck out of me to have 2 construction mods installed simply because they provide different methods of construction, one which will be better for my playstyle but the other which is simply required by MKS.

Anyway, I am sure you guys will sort something out, just wanted to get my opinion out there as to why I feel it's important.

3 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Alright.. I was finally able to catch a message.. When I am coming into the base, and the render range messages start to flow, there is one about "can't build while moving"...    Hope that helps.

That helps. But raises the question: are you using the latest GC? Because that was an old issue which I thought I fixed by adding a 3s grace period after a workshop is loaded before checking for movement and other restrictions. Are you saying that you have a base that cannot settle in for 3 seconds after the physics kicks it? And keep in mind that I only check for the horizontal speed, so your workshop should be moving along the ground faster than 0.5m/s.

6 hours ago, allista said:

That helps. But raises the question: are you using the latest GC? Because that was an old issue which I thought I fixed by adding a 3s grace period after a workshop is loaded before checking for movement and other restrictions. Are you saying that you have a base that cannot settle in for 3 seconds after the physics kicks it? And keep in mind that I only check for the horizontal speed, so your workshop should be moving along the ground faster than 0.5m/s.

KSP AVC did tell me about the update last night and I did update, perhaps I have a mod conflict?

http://imgur.com/Zmwc8Mv

1 hour ago, gamerscircle said:

KSP AVC did tell me about the update last night and I did update, perhaps I have a mod conflict?

http://imgur.com/Zmwc8Mv

Doesn't seem so. Your mods are in perfect order, as far as I see.

Anyways, I understand the problem now. I'll try to figure something out.

Meanwhile, you can try to workaround this by somehow pinning your workshops to the ground. Retract landing gear to lie on the belly (if the ship has legs); turn on the wheel brakes (or if it has wheels); use KIS's concrete attachment point. Something like that. And remember that only horizontal velocity counts.

I'm very sorry for that inconvenience! :(

16 minutes ago, allista said:

Doesn't seem so. Your mods are in perfect order, as far as I see.

Anyways, I understand the problem now. I'll try to figure something out.

Meanwhile, you can try to workaround this by somehow pinning your workshops to the ground. Retract landing gear to lie on the belly (if the ship has legs); turn on the wheel brakes (or if it has wheels); use KIS's concrete attachment point. Something like that. And remember that only horizontal velocity counts.

I'm very sorry for that inconvenience! :(

Okay.. I will try to get more information to you.. appreciate it.

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

Since you have MKS - try attaching an MKS part and using ground tethers.  That should stop any motion you have.

Some of the landing legs seem to also get MKS ground tethers via a MM patch.  Although I prefer to only tether my 'Duna' MKS modules (the inflatables can flop around).

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

Since you have MKS - try attaching an MKS part and using ground tethers.  That should stop any motion you have.

Yep.. I will start doing that... I just thought I was doing it wrong as it would start.. and then I would be stopped... and at first, I thought I was running out of Mat. Kits or something.. just hard for the "player" to know what messages I should be looking for to help out sometime.. when at the same time.. trying to keep kerbals from going MIA, etc. :)

4 hours ago, mikerl said:

If the movement detected is due to the physics kick upon entering loading range, a small delay would fix that.  If it is due to using the active vessel's speed on approach, then it won't. 

The delay is there: 3s after the workshop part is loaded.

But I didn't quite understand the second case you described. Could you explain a bit more?

5 hours ago, allista said:

The delay is there: 3s after the workshop part is loaded.

But I didn't quite understand the second case you described. Could you explain a bit more?

KSP uses a physics bubble inertial frame that is moving at a constant velocity; the frame's velocity is chosen to keep the active vessel's velocity numbers fairly small in that frame, so that floating-point precision problems are minimized. This is one of the early krakensbane KSP fixes, I think. I don't know whether surface vessels get prioritized in KSP's choice of frame to use, so when the ground construction comes into physics range of an incoming active vessel, potentially the physics engine is actually moving the ground construction vessel towards the incoming flight rather than vice-versa. I don't know how the KSP APIs present this information at program level, but it's a possibility that would need to be considered when coding and testing.

@mikerl: did I interpret you correctly?

Hey Allista!  Was poking around with your mod the other day, since roverdude is moving mks to use as offworld construction figured I should try it out (also watched the kottabo games youtube spotlight).  I like the general feel of it, the dyi kits ect, my only gripe is I cant build 100% offworld, but I saw that you were contemplating ideas on full offworld building so YAY.  Just dont make it too easy :P, pure EPL was kinda easymode to build offworld, mks adding the specialty parts and whatnot was better, but honestly, if im gonna be building 100% offworld it should take a much larger infrastructure, multiple types of machine shops, rocket turbo pumps need a little more than a simple 3d printer ect.  I guess what im trying to say is dont be afraid to add crafting steps and multiple modules to build offworld, make it punishing and make it hurt!  Whatever you do, thanks for the mod and keep up the good work!

If I'll be able to build something 100% offworld with this mod, I'm gonna abandon EPL in its favor. I'm fully colonizing a distant world which is too far from home, I'd like to think that I have enough technology to start a new civilization there. Bringing all DIY kits for 50 years to come, probably not something we would do even in real world.

Just now, Enceos said:

If I'll be able to build something 100% offworld with this mod, I'm gonna abandon EPL in its favor. I'm fully colonizing a distant world which is too far from home, I'd like to think that I have enough technology to start a new civilization there. Bringing all DIY kits for 50 years to come, probably not something we would do even in real world.

I support that and think alike .. would be cool to have an EL alternative which adds diversity!

I guess I think in opposite terms.  Personally the idea that I could safely ship all of the specialized equipment necessary to fabricate and build everything I would need from scratch is less likely than shipping "IKEA" packaged components that could be assembled onsite.

For me off world construction is usually more to deal with odd sized vessels.  Ones that while you could maybe rocket into space and land safely, they are easier to launch as a box of parts and then build it onsite.  To that end ground construction is perfect.