[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

allista

51 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

Alas, I still don't know what happens there. The only errors there are from some part trying to activate autostruts on themselves, but which one, and whether it is connected to the bug -- remains a question.

Have you tried to switch between vessels (between the Miner and the Kit) before going into the warp? Or before deployment?

I will try to recreate it and report back...

No luck, auto struts off, vessel switch works until I switch back to my ship... then if I time warp... poof its gone lol

Hmm... maybe it's just this particular ship I have made... I'm going to hyper edit an identical ship (with all auto struts off, and another very basic ship right next to it onto Duna and test again. 

You know, I love EPL, but it's always been a pain getting the setup in place. I guess I just found the right tool to do that. Also, could you perhaps interface this mod with the Hangars mod in such a way that, when one stuffs a DIY kit into a hangar, it can spew out the finished craft some time later?

On 1/1/2017 at 11:58 PM, TheKurgan said:

No luck, auto struts off, vessel switch works until I switch back to my ship... then if I time warp... poof its gone lol

Hmm... maybe it's just this particular ship I have made... I'm going to hyper edit an identical ship (with all auto struts off, and another very basic ship right next to it onto Duna and test again. 

I've tried everything, but couldn't reproduce it. Everything works fine. So this must be some mod conflict. Sorry.

1 hour ago, drdeath said:

You know, I love EPL, but it's always been a pain getting the setup in place. I guess I just found the right tool to do that. Also, could you perhaps interface this mod with the Hangars mod in such a way that, when one stuffs a DIY kit into a hangar, it can spew out the finished craft some time later?

Well, no, sorry. I've explained this on the previous page. The Kit is not just a collection of parts. There's no way it could be assembled inside a hangar. At least not in any old hangar. But I'll think about ground hangars...

54 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

No problem man, I deleted all the mods except the ones used in my ship, and couldn't figure it out... I'll try again some day. Cheers.

Could you, please, post the list of the mods that's still left then? Maybe I could test them some time.

50 minutes ago, DaniDE said:

Wow, this is a nice one @allista - tested it and love it.

Glad to hear! :D

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@allista

Re this: Could you, please, post the list of the mods that's still left then? Maybe I could test them some time

The log file will have a complete list of all mods and mod directories, put in there by MM

Yep. But no such logs have been posted, so the only list I have is the full list of mods; which is big. Still, maybe I'll sift through it one day...

Ground Construction v1.0.0.1 for KSP 1.2.2 (2017.01.04)

ChangeLog:

Spoiler
  • Added Kit Res. part menu field that displays the amount of structural resource needed to assemble the Kit.
  • Changed skill required for Ore Smelters in IRSUs to match that of the stock IRSU converters.
  • Small bugfixes.

14 minutes ago, allista said:

Yep. But no such logs have been posted, so the only list I have is the full list of mods; which is big. Still, maybe I'll sift through it one day...

Ground Construction v1.0.0.1 for KSP 1.2.2 (2017.01.04)

ChangeLog:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Added Kit Res. part menu field that displays the amount of structural resource needed to assemble the Kit.
  • Changed skill required for Ore Smelters in IRSUs to match that of the stock IRSU converters.
  • Small bugfixes.

Too bad

@allista This looks amazing, fabulous work.

Just out of curiosity, I'm currently playing with EPL, and I'm thinking, this mod would be a great stepping stone as an early colony building tool, Using this to haul parts, craft, and colony modules to my colonies as I set up them up for the fully EPL completely self-sufficient colonies.

My question is, are you aware of any conflicts, or any reason why there'd be a conflict, between this and EPL? I'd love to use both, as this will be great early-mid game and help me get set up for late game and EPL, coupled with RoverDude's colony mod.

13 minutes ago, vardicd said:

@allista This looks amazing, fabulous work.

Just out of curiosity, I'm currently playing with EPL, and I'm thinking, this mod would be a great stepping stone as an early colony building tool, Using this to haul parts, craft, and colony modules to my colonies as I set up them up for the fully EPL completely self-sufficient colonies.

My question is, are you aware of any conflicts, or any reason why there'd be a conflict, between this and EPL? I'd love to use both, as this will be great early-mid game and help me get set up for late game and EPL, coupled with RoverDude's colony mod.

There shouldn't be any problem with using both.

And for your notice, we're currently working with @RoverDude on integration of Ground Construction with MKS and Konstruction.

@allista I was just trying out this mod and I think I could reproduce TheKurgan's bug above.

All I did was put a DIY kit above the Mobile Workshop (but it can be any vessel, I suppose) and deployed it from that place, and this resulted into the DIY kit ending its deployment not touching the ground, and it stayed that way, floating into the air. After I put it to build and time warped, the DIY kit just gone through the ground.

So I think the deployment of the Kit in the case of TheKurgan was so fast that it jumped and completed deployment into the air and therefore making the bug happen.

I hope this helps :).

And thank you very much for the mod!

Edited by ThunderDH

6 hours ago, ThunderDH said:

@allista I was just trying out this mod and I think I could reproduce TheKurgan's bug above.

All I did was put a DIY kit above the Mobile Workshop (but it can be any vessel, I suppose) and deployed it from that place, and this resulted into the DIY kit ending its deployment not touching the ground, and it stayed that way, floating into the air. After I put it to build and time warped, the DIY kit just gone through the ground.

So I think the deployment of the Kit in the case of TheKurgan was so fast that it jumped and completed deployment into the air and therefore making the bug happen.

Thank you for the report! I'll try to reproduce these circumstances and see what happens.

14 hours ago, ThunderDH said:

Alas! 

I was able to reproduce the floating Kit bug; and I was able to fix it (will publish the fix in the next release).

But even when it was floating, the time-warp did not cause the fall through the ground. So yet again, the reason is elsewhere. Could you post your mod list, so that I could cross-reference it with that of TheKurgan?

Edited by allista

@ThunderDH, better yet, could you test a beta-version with the fix and try to reproduce the fall-through?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rj6taei1y2pwffb/GroundConstruction-v1.0.0.2.zip?dl=0

Just move the existing AT_Utils, ConfigurableContainers and GroundConstruction folders away from the GameData for the time being, and replace them with the ones from the archive.

Note, that if you have Hangar installed, it will probably become broken (.dll will not load) during the test; but this will not break anything in any savegame and will be fixed as soon as you revert to currently installed versions.

19 hours ago, allista said:

There shouldn't be any problem with using both.

And for your notice, we're currently working with @RoverDude on integration of Ground Construction with MKS and Konstruction.

That's great, I know EPL adds a workshop module to command parts, and wasn't sure if yours was the same, or would conflict with EPL. Good to hear I can use them together!

5 hours ago, allista said:

Alas! 

I was able to reproduce the floating Kit bug; and I was able to fix it (will publish the fix in the next release).

I glad I helped! :)

But even when it was floating, the time-warp did not cause the fall through the ground. So yet again, the reason is elsewhere. Could you post your mod list, so that I could cross-reference it with that of TheKurgan?

I'm not really playing KSP seriously right now, just testing some mods to make a mod list to then playthrough the career mode, so the mod list is pretty small:

1. Procedural Wings v0.12 (the Procedural Dynamics version, from this forum post );
  2. Ground Construction and all its dependencies.

@ThunderDH, better yet, could you test a beta-version with the fix and try to reproduce the fall-through?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rj6taei1y2pwffb/GroundConstruction-v1.0.0.2.zip?dl=0

Just move the existing AT_Utils, ConfigurableContainers and GroundConstruction folders away from the GameData for the time being, and replace them with the ones from the archive.

Note, that if you have Hangar installed, it will probably become broken (.dll will not load) during the test; but this will not break anything in any savegame and will be fixed as soon as you revert to currently installed versions.

Sure! I'll test that right now.

!!! Announcement !!!

The decision to make Ground Construction fully compatible with MKS/Konstruction forces me to change the resource that GC uses for construction from Metals to MaterialKits.

In order to affect as few users as possible, I decided to perform that switch ASAP, that is in the next release.

What will be the consequences for current users:

1. All workshops (based on stock parts or any other) will instantly switch to the new resource. So in order to begin the new construction or continue with an ongoing one your bases will have to provide MaterialKits. Any progress that was made during construction with Metals will remain.
  2. The Mobile Workshop part will have a preconfigured tank for MaterialKits rather than for Metals. But any Mobile Workshop currently in the field will keep its Metals tank and will not have space for MaterialKits.
  3. The ISRUs will also convert Ore into MaterialKits, not into Metals. This change will affect the units in the field.

To help with obvious inconvenience of that change I will provide a limited option to instantly convert Metals into MaterialKits in-place, from any workshop in any vessel nearby. I will provide a short video on how to do this, but essentially this will be a matter of pushing 2 buttons per converted vessel. Yes, this could be used as a cheat; but if anyone want to cheat they would do it anyway. Everyone else, I believe, will use this tool only as intended: to save their bases from rebuilding.

Also, this will not be a lossless procedure. Configurable Container users will lose in maximum stored mass, as MaterialKits are less dense than Metals. The users of simple containers for Metals (are there any?) will not lose in stored mass, but the change to simple container cannot be made permanent: such containers will end up having space for both Metals (empty after conversion) and MaterialKits.

Edited by allista
Added info about ISRUs.

For MKS users, is the plan then that when Ground Construction is installed along with MKS, the option to manufacture MaterialKits out of Ore will be disabled? (Or, perhaps this is something that RoverDude will handle on the MKS side?) Since MKS requires a somewhat involved resource chain to build MaterialKits, I can imagine that having a straight Ore -> MaterialKit "shortcut" would somewhat defeat the spirit of MKS.