[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

allista

Is there a way to transport machinery? I'm trying to send an assembly line as a DIY kit but when it is unpacked, its starts without any machinery. Even with configurable containers, the components section only has MK's and SP's and I can't find any other way other than lugging the entire assembly line to the base with it already filled with machinery.

OK so I have been using Konstruction/Ground Construction (in conjunction with USI) a lot... design a base, make it into a DIY kit, land that kit somewhere, take a construction spaceplane there which contains a workshop and materialkits, unpack the box, build, etc.  I do this often.

Until today.  I noticed that the latest update to the mod lets me constrain the DIY kits by one of the three dimensions, ostensibly so it can fit into places, and that's cool.  I thought nothing of it until I tried to build something on the Mun just now.  I brought the construction craft in range, and pushed DEPLOY on the workshop window, as usual.  The kit started expanding, again as usual.  But it only expands along 2 of the 3 dimensions now, whereas it used to expand evenly.  That'd be ok if it ever STOPPED expanding.  It just keeps growing and growing and growing, to a size far larger than the footprint of the base I'm trying to build... and then it starts sliding, and then it explodes.  This is obviously .. not good.  Anything else I should be trying or is this a known bug?

On 8/7/2018 at 3:29 PM, Mobius_1_ISAF said:

Is there a way to transport machinery? I'm trying to send an assembly line as a DIY kit but when it is unpacked, its starts without any machinery. Even with configurable containers, the components section only has MK's and SP's and I can't find any other way other than lugging the entire assembly line to the base with it already filled with machinery.

You can transfer machinery between connected containers much as you can fuel.

If you are using MKS, I believe you can also transfer it between near-by mks containers.

7 hours ago, Terwin said:

You can transfer machinery between connected containers much as you can fuel.

If you are using MKS, I believe you can also transfer it between near-by mks containers.

in my install, at least, machinery doesn't transfer with MKS local warehousing.  I feel like it should, and this is a bug, but machinery specifically does not allow itself to be transferred whereas other resources do.  The fact that the machinery kontainers have a local warehouse option is what makes me think this is a bug.

34 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

in my install, at least, machinery doesn't transfer with MKS local warehousing.  I feel like it should, and this is a bug, but machinery specifically does not allow itself to be transferred whereas other resources do.  The fact that the machinery kontainers have a local warehouse option is what makes me think this is a bug.

It's not a bug - it's to prevent a worse situation.

Machinery under MKS affects the efficiency of the part that has the machinery - so transferring it around without active intent leads to things like your habitation or your ISRU shutting down for no machinery, when the warehouse next to it just got filled.

Note that there *is* a dedicated mechanic to transfer Machinery around under MKS: Maintenance.  When your Engineer does maintenance on a part, either directly while on EVA or via being staffed in an appropriate workshop, the part will get filled with Machinery from nearby containers.  (That have local warehousing enabled...)  Note that this just fills the parts themselves, not the ship.  (Maintenance will also transfer around Enriched Uranium.)

On 8/7/2018 at 4:29 PM, Mobius_1_ISAF said:

MKS and Nertea's SSPXr both provide switchable resource containers that can hold machinery.  The MKS containers are in the Logistics tab in the editor (and some in Rovers, for the Karibou); the SSPXr ones are in Payload.

To transfer the machinery into your base, there are two main options:

• Connect vessels together with a KAS pipe and transfer resources through it.  (You can also connect the vessels with an ordinary docking port, but those can be challenging to align properly on a surface base.  Depending on your difficulty settings, the Klaw may also work.)
  • Use KIS to detach a container of machinery from one vessel and attach it to another.

I generally go with the second option, using the SK-62 Supply Kontainer part that's provided by MKS.  It's a small part that fits on the KIS container mount, so any kerbal can attach or detach it (not just an engineer with a screwdriver).  The KIS container mount fits nicely on the MKS Ranger trusses and on the Akita rover, which makes it easy to drive the detachable containers around and then attach them to a base.  But note that an SK-62 full of machinery is too heavy for a single kerbal (or three) to lift, so  you'll need to have a team (or a Konstruction crane), or just don't fill it more than about 25%.

(Full disclosure: I made the SK-62 and contributed it to MKS, partly for this reason.)

so does anyone have the same issue I posted above with the DIY kit?  It's super bizarre and it's very recent behavior, this is something I was doing all the time, and now it's... almost comical really... "Hey Jeb, is that box getting bigger?"  "Yeah it's supposed to, Bill"  "... is it supposed to be ... that tall, and long, but not wide?"  "umm... "  ... and then it explodes.  sometimes it pushes my ship out of the way.  this thing I'm trying to build isn't even that big.

UPDATE: I found what was causing this.. if the item to be built contains any of the MKS drilling units, the bad behavior is observed.  Remove the drills and the problem goes away.  Any idea why this might be?

Edited by ss8913

7 hours ago, ss8913 said:

UPDATE: I found what was causing this.. if the item to be built contains any of the MKS drilling units, the bad behavior is observed.  Remove the drills and the problem goes away.  Any idea why this might be?

That is a known bug that I believe is currently being worked on.

It has to do with the non-visible parts being 'stored' several m away from the actual drill, so that trying to find the bounding-box for those parts returns a rather large box.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Would someone mind helping me out with a patch file?  I know that the mod was changed to stop allowing the stock ISRUs from smelting, but that feature for early base setup was a reason I picked this mod.

Now the smelting option was removed, but someone was kind enough to tell me what to add to a file so that the ISRUs would smelt again and I can't seem to locate that message.

Now that I have my KSP base building career back in swing , I would like to get that ability back , if possible.  Thanks again.

20 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Would someone mind helping me out with a patch file?  I know that the mod was changed to stop allowing the stock ISRUs from smelting, but that feature for early base setup was a reason I picked this mod.

Now the smelting option was removed, but someone was kind enough to tell me what to add to a file so that the ISRUs would smelt again and I can't seem to locate that message.

I was under the impression that this was a change that only applied when USI-MKS was also installed, because MKS has it's own system of making material kits.

So I've hit an odd thing where when I deploy a kit it grows uncontrollably, bounces around, then explodes (due to high impact speed).  I've done several kits successfully at this point, no idea what changed.

2 hours ago, Requia said:

So I've hit an odd thing where when I deploy a kit it grows uncontrollably, bounces around, then explodes (due to high impact speed).  I've done several kits successfully at this point, no idea what changed.

More information would be useful.  If you are using MKS then reading up would also be useful because your answer may be on the same page.

4 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

More information would be useful.  If you are using MKS then reading up would also be useful because your answer may be on the same page. 

Ah, that's it exactly (it'd be good if there was at least an error message to search).

Now what do I do :huh:

59 minutes ago, Requia said:

Ah, that's it exactly (it'd be good if there was at least an error message to search).

You wait for a fix?  Or you send out a diy kit without drills and attach them after via KIS?  Or us EL for builds with drills?

On 8/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, Mobius_1_ISAF said:

As a fellow MKS/Ground Construction user, I created a BAP (Build and Provision) Crawler to make it easy to send empty kits and provision them from planetary resources using a quartermaster kerbal in a MKS logistics module. I have a medium sized cargo rover with 5 reconfigurable planetary cargo containers that I dock to the BAP, which also has some planetary storage. So I can use planetary logistics to pull from planetary storage, and use local  logistics to transfer most things. For things like machinery and enriched uranium (I use Nertea's Kerbal Atomics too) I have a crew tube on the front and I just dock to the new ship after it gets constructed. and transfer with the Perform Maintenance mechanic from MKS for machinery (just move an engineer to a workshop) or Nertea's uranium transfer mechanic. Plus I make the fuel on the spot from planetary ore stores, whatever the ship needs. It's the culmination of my KSP-years long plan to turn Minmus into a self sufficient shipyard. Pic:: 6A41211CEA0D93A266869FCA5A026A586A6B11D4

Hi there...

Me again, turns out that I was using 1.2.1 and saw that there was a 2.0.1 and after removing the old GC and installing the new GC, I wasn't able to get a GC Window.

I then just replaced the 1.2.1 and copied 2.0.1 over it and I got the GC Window, but I wasn't able to put a vessel in a kit.

What am I doing wrong.. :)

On 8/26/2018 at 5:06 PM, Requia said:

On 8/26/2018 at 6:06 PM, goldenpsp said:

You wait for a fix?  Or you send out a diy kit without drills and attach them after via KIS?  Or us EL for builds with drills?

There's actually a workaround; the GameData/000_AT_Utils/Plugins/PluginData/000_AT_Utils/000_AT_Utils.glob file contains the BadParts option that lists part names (separated by spaces) for which an alternative metric calculation approach should be used. Currently there's only the stock RadialDrill; but you may add MKS drills there as well (and tell me their names, so I could include them in the distribution).

Edited by allista

On 8/7/2018 at 11:29 PM, Mobius_1_ISAF said:

Thanks for the report; this is actually a bug in CC which I'll correct in the next release.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, Mobius_1_ISAF said:

Machinery should really use MKSs logistical containers not a third party regardless.  The maintenance action will move machinery from local logistics containers to MKS parts (certain MKS parts will perform this automatically on everything nearby once a day).  This keeps machinery fully stocked.  (Unless GW uses the machinery item as well in which case ignore me)

Edited by Requia

38 minutes ago, Requia said:

Machinery should really use MKSs logistical containers not a third party regardless.  The maintenance action will move machinery from local logistics containers to MKS parts (certain MKS parts will perform this automatically on everything nearby once a day).  This keeps machinery fully stocked.  (Unless GW uses the machinery item as well in which case ignore me)

You mean GW should also use MKSs modules for this? But it would break isolation; GC's designed to be standalone. It provides means (at least it should) to ship machinery to bootstrap the operation; and then to produce it on site (assembly line is equipped with the corresponding converter). So I guess something is still wrong, if not on CC's side, then on GC's. Namely, machinery should probably be whitelisted in KitResources.cfg so that a user could include it into a DIY kit at KSC.

29 minutes ago, allista said:

You mean GW should also use MKSs modules for this? But it would break isolation; GC's designed to be standalone. It provides means (at least it should) to ship machinery to bootstrap the operation; and then to produce it on site (assembly line is equipped with the corresponding converter). So I guess something is still wrong, if not on CC's side, then on GC's. Namely, machinery should probably be whitelisted in KitResources.cfg so that a user could include it into a DIY kit at KSC.

I mean that if the player is using MKS (which is my assumption from the resource) the player should use MKSs built in machinery moving, not try to use GWs, because otherwise the parts won't get machinery automatically restocked.