[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

allista

20 minutes ago, Ericwi said:

Is there a good tutorial on how to make MaterialKits from the ground via MKS? I am not sure if I just don't have it installed right or I am not doing something right. 

The MKS thread is a better place to ask about that, but in a nutshell:

• Use MEU-100 or MEU-100A drills to mine Substrate, MetallicOre, and Minerals.  (You might need to drill in different biomes to get all of these.)
  • Use the Ranger "Smelt-O-Matic" to refine those resources into Polymers, Metals, and Chemicals.
  • Use the Ranger Workshop to make MaterialKits from the refined resources.  (You'll need some MaterialKits to inflate the workshop first — have an engineer disassemble the lander(s) that you delivered with the base parts with.  And you need Machinery to operate the workshop; send that from Kerbin.)
  • Later on, you can use bigger drills and the more advanced Tundra parts instead.

3 hours ago, ethanwolf519 said:

so whenever I try to put something in a diy crate it does this0C6875DCE6FC0CD18D82AAE84244ABA116C803CE any ideas on how to fix this?

To get any technical support you have to provide the output_log.txt (win) or Player.log (mac, linux).

Without it it's hard to tell anything apart from "there's been an NRE somewhere for some reason".

I've used this mod quite a bit, and have built quite a few craft with it, but I just can't figure out what's going on in my Gilly expedition.  The "Construction Window" menu item doesn't show up in my construction ship like it usually does.  I've got:

1) An "Orca" command pod
2) Two 5 star engineers in the pod
3) Matkits, Electric Charge
4) A DIY box landed within 300m (though I find that the menu option should be there even if there's no box nearby)
5) 1x time acceleration
6) Landed on Gilly with ground-tether on (also tried off, just in case - and I inspected the save file just to be sure it says "sit = LANDED" -- this is Gilly, afterall...)

I've used a basically identical ship on Minmus.  In fact, if I pop over to that craft on Minmus, there I get a 'Construction Window' selection even though the poor thing's lying there derelict.  I must just be holding it wrong, but I'm out of ideas as to how.

Builder ship's craft file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArmF2ajumPvrhKVLO5JatMYJhYNkHg

Save file (.sfs) (but there's so many mods it's not worth trying to load): https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArmF2ajumPvrhKVMERE_l90VxyYphQ

I'm still running ksp 1.3.0.1804 and GC 1.2.0

13 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

I've used this mod quite a bit, and have built quite a few craft with it, but I just can't figure out what's going on in my Gilly expedition.  The "Construction Window" menu item doesn't show up in my construction ship like it usually does.  I've got:

1) An "Orca" command pod
4) A DIY box landed within 300m (though I find that the menu option should be there even if there's no box nearby)

You mentioned "Matkits, Electric Charge", but not "SpecializedParts".  Do you have a container with "SP" in it?

2 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

Ground Construction doesn't need SP's.  Extraplanetary Launchpads does.

Ahhh.... my bad.  Too many mods.  I'm used to seeing the "SKH" from Ground Construction and my brain was thinking "SP" from EL.   Too many mods... too many acronyms.  *heh*

29 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

1) An "Orca" command pod
5) 1x time acceleration
6) Landed on Gilly with ground-tether on (also tried off, just in case - and I inspected the save file just to be sure it says "sit = LANDED" -- this is Gilly, afterall...)

I've used a basically identical ship on Minmus.  In fact, if I pop over to that craft on Minmus, there I get a 'Construction Window' selection even though the poor thing's lying there derelict.  I must just be holding it wrong, but I'm out of ideas as to how.

Builder ship's craft file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArmF2ajumPvrhKVLO5JatMYJhYNkHg

Save file (.sfs) (but there's so many mods it's not worth trying to load): https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArmF2ajumPvrhKVMERE_l90VxyYphQ

I'm still running ksp 1.3.0.1804 and GC 1.2.0

I'm not sure what happens here. The part menu item should always be active if a part has the GroundWorkshop module. Good thing that you've posted the .sfs: I can read through your ship with my eyes, if not load it.

Just checking, but have you tried to open the main GC window from the toolbar and access the workshop from there?

1 minute ago, allista said:

Just checking, but have you tried to open the main GC window from the toolbar and access the workshop from there?

Yes I have, but I don't understand what I'm seeing at all.  On Gilly, when I'm at the builder ship, it just gives me a list of the ships on Gilly, aside from the ship I'm on.  It shows me a tiny little ship I left there from missions past, which happens to have a lander can.  That's a legit GC ship, even so, right?  When I hop over to that ship, it doesn't give me a construction window choice.  The toolbar button shows me the other ship landed on Gilly as another workshop.

Also confusing me is that on Minmus, I happen to have a similar little science ship landed there too.  It shows up on the list of workshops, but when I go to that ship, I don't get the "Construction" menu item either.

11 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

Yes I have, but I don't understand what I'm seeing at all.  On Gilly, when I'm at the builder ship, it just gives me a list of the ships on Gilly, aside from the ship I'm on.  It shows me a tiny little ship I left there from missions past, which happens to have a lander can.  That's a legit GC ship, even so, right?  When I hop over to that ship, it doesn't give me a construction window choice.  The toolbar button shows me the other ship landed on Gilly as another workshop.

Also confusing me is that on Minmus, I happen to have a similar little science ship landed there too.  It shows up on the list of workshops, but when I go to that ship, I don't get the "Construction" menu item either.

Sounds like a bug :(

Thanks for the report. I'll see through the logs and the sfs in the evening to know more.

15 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

Which logs would be most helpful?

Player.log/output_log.txt of a game session were you switch between the ships using GC window.

BTW, if the active ship is on the list, underneath would be a list of it's workshops; pushing a name of a workshop would open it's construction window.

output.log: https://1drv.ms/t/s!ArmF2ajumPvrhKVNQIyI4Pj5R6isTA

ksp.log: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArmF2ajumPvrhKVOd5eeO2CQJIX7Hg

I poked through it, but didn't see any obvious treasure.  No angry words said near "GroundConstruction" and searching for "Exception" just turned up a lot of noise around EVE.

In the session, I switched around my vessels on Gilly using the GC window.  Never had the option to do anything and the construction choice on the ship never turned on.  The ship is "Gilly Basebuilder" starting at line 509656 of the save.

On 11/19/2017 at 11:43 AM, Ericwi said:

Is there a good tutorial on how to make MaterialKits from the ground via MKS? I am not sure if I just don't have it installed right or I am not doing something right. 

Kinda late to the party here, but here's how I go about it:

I use the "Ore Smelter" option of the stock Resource Converter to make the initial batch of Material kits.  This craft can be some stock drills, a couple of large ore storage tanks and 50k worth of matkit storage.  Or you can scrimp on the matkit storage and bring up a Logistics module.

That's a pretty minimal craft and it's not hard to throw that up into orbit on a rocket, even if you embellish it with some crew support.  It makes matkits very slowly - but interplanetary travel takes a while too.  Be aware that if you leave a facility alone for a long time, the catch-up algorithm works in kerbal-day-long increments.  That is, it first looks at how much ore your drill can extract in a full day, then it looks at how much ore storage you've got.  It takes the lower of those two numbers as the amount of ore you'll have to play with.  Then it looks at the converter and sees how much ore it would consume in a full day and compares that with the amount of ore that got stored in a day and takes the lower of those two numbers.  Then it divides that number by the ratio of ore:matkits and that's how many matkits it produces in a day.  (Other constraints, like power and heat, work roughly along the same lines.)

With the MatKits you build at that place, you can build a more serious material kit factory out of Tundra parts.  Like I said, this is a starter facility.  In order to make a complete breakfast, you'll also want a scanner satellite, a relay satellite or two, and a surveyor rover.

On 11/17/2017 at 11:02 PM, Blue Kae said:

I could use some help with a crash I'm getting when launching a base once construction has completed.  From the log files it looks like it's failing when trying to adjust the final position:

Full log file is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/unso1wys7sixmlf/output_log.txt?dl=0

I just wanted to mention that I too have had the same type of crash occurring when loading in a craft. 

Error.log [Removed by Moderators, it was slowing down the page]

output_log.txt

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iyVtckCiQrQLQiSUM_Eh3ioLGsQC4Olk/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Dman979
Removed error log.

On 11/21/2017 at 9:14 PM, allista said:

Sounds like a bug

I did a comparison of the hunks of the save files related to the two ships I called out, "Minmus basebuider" and "Gilly basebuilder", and found something that looks like the crux of it:  Minmus Basebuilder has a section "VESSELMODULES { WorkshopManager { Workshops {...}}}" and Gilly Basebuilder has that section as well, except that the "Workshops" block is empty.  I suspect several of the ships in my fleet suffer from this.  With some fuddling I could reconstruct the sections in the afflicted ships in my save file.

It's pretty certain that the log files aren't going to contain anything really interesting, as whatever broke this happened a while ago.  If you wanted to tell me the bug likely wasn't in Ground Construction, I'd totally be willing to believe that too.

9 hours ago, NermNermNerm said:

I did a comparison of the hunks of the save files related to the two ships I called out, "Minmus basebuider" and "Gilly basebuilder", and found something that looks like the crux of it:  Minmus Basebuilder has a section "VESSELMODULES { WorkshopManager { Workshops {...}}}" and Gilly Basebuilder has that section as well, except that the "Workshops" block is empty.  I suspect several of the ships in my fleet suffer from this.  With some fuddling I could reconstruct the sections in the afflicted ships in my save file.

It's pretty certain that the log files aren't going to contain anything really interesting, as whatever broke this happened a while ago.  If you wanted to tell me the bug likely wasn't in Ground Construction, I'd totally be willing to believe that too.

You're right, the immediate reason is the lack of WorkshopManager vessel module. And I've found out that some of my own saves happen to contain the same broken state; so it's likely the cause is in GC somewhere.

You're a great help here, thanks! :)

Related to my issue of having the game crash during vessel orientation when launching a new vessel, I think there might have been an issue with the launch clamps that I was using. They came from the SpaceY mod packs. I replaced the launch clamps in my current vessel with the USI cradles and this seems to have resolved the orientation issue.

On 20.11.2017 at 4:11 AM, ethanwolf519 said:

so whenever I try to put something in a diy crate it does this0C6875DCE6FC0CD18D82AAE84244ABA116C803CE any ideas on how to fix this?

I have the same problem as above. When ever I try to load a ship into the DIY Container, the game loads the ship speratly and it causes the game to disable all of the buttons inside the hangar. (Can't leave the hangar, cant insert a part, can't move or delete a part). I use GC 1.2.0 and KSP 1.3.0

output log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eaXGmWUOG0L-A1S0GdHVQkSeXI0qb1C-/view?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...

Okay..
I have been using Ground Construction for a while now.. and for the most part, it works .. well, until I do something wrong. .:)

Today.. I got a message that I never got before and I am doing my GC process the same as usual.

1.)  I land a DYI
2.) Dettach the skycrane
3.) Go to a module [usually an MKS one] 
4.) Open the construction window
5.) Deploy [what is expand.. etc..]
6.) Then construct it [warping to the end of the job]
7.) Xfer any resource that I might need.
8.) Then I Launch...

This time,  when I attempt to do a launch, I get ,. "Cannot launch from a packed construction kit"

16 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

Okay..
I have been using Ground Construction for a while now.. and for the most part, it works .. well, until I do something wrong. .:)

Today.. I got a message that I never got before and I am doing my GC process the same as usual.

1.)  I land a DYI
2.) Dettach the skycrane
3.) Go to a module [usually an MKS one] 
4.) Open the construction window
5.) Deploy [what is expand.. etc..]
6.) Then construct it [warping to the end of the job]
7.) Xfer any resource that I might need.
8.) Then I Launch...

This time,  when I attempt to do a launch, I get ,. "Cannot launch from a packed construction kit"

That's simple: your active vessel is too far from the kit. By default, KSP unpacks vessels at 200m from active vessel and packs them at 2.3km. So you need to switch to the kit, than back, then try to launch it.

EDIT: vessels are also packed for time warp.

Edited by allista

I think.. that might have been it, also the KIT and the Skycrane has the same name and that might have been also causing an issue?  As soon as I broke it down and get the mat kits from it, I didn't have a problem with the construction.  

Sorry for my untested post.