allista

[1.7] Global Construction

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, allista said:

output_log.txt (or Player.log on linux/mac) would help

Where would that be? I have no output_log.txt in the KSP folders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

Sorry, in four years have never had anyone ask for anything but the KSP.log. Output_log.txt

Now that is weird :0.0:

output_log contains much more info than KSP.log, and is crucial to diagnose things.

Thanks, I'll look inside...

@vossiewulf for some reason you're missing 000_AT_Utils/Plugins/001_AnisotropicPartResizer.dll which is bundled with GC.

You should reinstall GC from SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1123/Ground Construction/download/2.4.1.0.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, allista said:

Now that is weird :0.0:

output_log contains much more info than KSP.log, and is crucial to diagnose things.

Thanks, I'll look inside...

@vossiewulf for some reason you're missing 000_AT_Utils/Plugins/001_AnisotropicPartResizer.dll which is bundled with GC.

You should reinstall GC from SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1123/Ground Construction/download/2.4.1.0.1

Now that is weird also, I never mess around with files inside mod folders. Thanks very much for looking, I will try that and let you know whether that fixed it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, allista said:

Now that is weird :0.0:

output_log contains much more info than KSP.log, and is crucial to diagnose things.

Thanks, I'll look inside...

@vossiewulf for some reason you're missing 000_AT_Utils/Plugins/001_AnisotropicPartResizer.dll which is bundled with GC.

You should reinstall GC from SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1123/Ground Construction/download/2.4.1.0.1

Ok, I seem to be fixed now, unfortunately I can't tell you what version I was using since its zip is not in my downloads folder, which is yet another weird thing as I always keep the latest zip files so I do know what versions I am running. I did not even have Configurable Containers installed. The only explanation I can think of besides multiple stupids on my part is that one of your download links isn't up to date, but I'd think that would impact other people. So I'm going with stupid.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated, as noted I built the station just for the Orbital Assembly Line. Now I just need a new computer to effectively handle that space station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2019 at 1:23 PM, allista said:

@vossiewulf for some reason you're missing 000_AT_Utils/Plugins/001_AnisotropicPartResizer.dll which is bundled with GC.

22 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

I did not even have Configurable Containers installed.

001_AnisotropicPartResizer is missing from the copy of GC-Core that's bundled with the current MKS release (version 1.1.0.0).  The GC-Core in MKS also (intentionally) omits CC, so I'm guessing that's what @vossiewulf is using.

(BTW, I mentioned the missing DLL back in March and someone filed it as MKS issue #1448.)

Edited by Wyzard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

001_AnisotropicPartResizer is missing from the copy of GC-Core that's bundled with the current MKS release (version 1.1.0.0).  The GC-Core in MKS also (intentionally) omits CC, so I'm guessing that's what @vossiewulf is using.

(BTW, I mentioned the missing DLL back in March and someone filed it as MKS issue #1448.)

Ah yes, that's correct - the reason I couldn't find the zip is that I didn't download it directly, I installed it with MKS. Thanks Wyzard.

Edited by vossiewulf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies in advance if this is another stupid situation, but I don't see how I undock from the empty kit. The docking node doesn't seem to know it's docked, so it's not offering me either an undock or decouple node option. I watched the video, I saw the guy dock to the kit, move it to dock at another location, then undocked his tug via a context menu on the kit, I get no context menu on the kit, it doesn't highlight when I hover over it.

In the video he docked it to a workshop, but I thought that was because his test station was small, I don't remember him saying you had to dock to a workshop, but he's a little hard to understand at times.

In case this is a log-digging question, output_log.txt.

mWXUpnT.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 1:42 AM, allista said:

@mackie g could you try to reproduce this in stock game (with MM+GC, of course) with stock parts? I wasn't able to so far...

Well mods i have is mostly kis, kas, gc and mks where i've found this mod. other than that just alarm clock and dock alligment but that shouldnt affect mechanics... is there one specific mod u think that could affect that so i can try without it. but what's about issue with lag while gc is constructing? once had to load old savegame and delate one build bc everytime i tried docking ship at that station game crashed... terrible lag. any idea?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 4:31 AM, mackie g said:

Well mods i have is mostly kis, kas, gc and mks where i've found this mod. other than that just alarm clock and dock alligment but that shouldnt affect mechanics... is there one specific mod u think that could affect that so i can try without it. but what's about issue with lag while gc is constructing? once had to load old savegame and delate one build bc everytime i tried docking ship at that station game crashed... terrible lag. any idea?

2 big sources of lag are part count and exposed docking ports.

While each ship can have it's physics processed on a separate thread, docking them will put all the parts from the combined ship onto one thread.  This may be the source of the lag when docking.

Also, if I remember correctly, each exposed docking port checks it's distance from each other exposed docking port in the 2 km 'active simulation' area(to see if they are trying to dock)), so having a lot of exposed docking ports can have a disproportionate impact on performance.

The maximum number of parts on a vessel before the lag becomes bothersome is highly dependent on the performance of your processor(and your tolerance for lag).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 3:10 PM, Terwin said:

2 big sources of lag are part count and exposed docking ports.

While each ship can have it's physics processed on a separate thread, docking them will put all the parts from the combined ship onto one thread.  This may be the source of the lag when docking.

Also, if I remember correctly, each exposed docking port checks it's distance from each other exposed docking port in the 2 km 'active simulation' area(to see if they are trying to dock)), so having a lot of exposed docking ports can have a disproportionate impact on performance.

The maximum number of parts on a vessel before the lag becomes bothersome is highly dependent on the performance of your processor(and your tolerance for lag).

yea knew about part count but not about docking ports... tha's helpfull since i have them all over:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 6:59 PM, vossiewulf said:

Apologies in advance if this is another stupid situation, but I don't see how I undock from the empty kit. The docking node doesn't seem to know it's docked, so it's not offering me either an undock or decouple node option. I watched the video, I saw the guy dock to the kit, move it to dock at another location, then undocked his tug via a context menu on the kit, I get no context menu on the kit, it doesn't highlight when I hover over it.

In the video he docked it to a workshop, but I thought that was because his test station was small, I don't remember him saying you had to dock to a workshop, but he's a little hard to understand at times.

In case this is a log-digging question, output_log.txt.

 

Any suggestions here? I'm sorry to ask again, but the Kerbin orbital construction station is core to this game, and I have launch windows closing in so I can't keep just doing other things. If I can't get this working I'll need to start a process of removing 6 OSE workshops and the assembly line in favor of EL versions.

I've looked through the output_log.txt and see no significant errors, the only thing I see that looks like a possible explanation is numerous changes to the GC parts by MKS' KolonyTools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Any suggestions here? I'm sorry to ask again, but the Kerbin orbital construction station is core to this game, and I have launch windows closing in so I can't keep just doing other things. If I can't get this working I'll need to start a process of removing 6 OSE workshops and the assembly line in favor of EL versions.

I've looked through the output_log.txt and see no significant errors, the only thing I see that looks like a possible explanation is numerous changes to the GC parts by MKS' KolonyTools.

Sorry, my capacity to respond is quite limited by my job these days.

What you describe looks like trouble with installation; missing dlls most likely.

I'd say more from the log, but I'm in mobile for a while, so could you please zip it for me to download?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, allista said:

Sorry, my capacity to respond is quite limited by my job these days.

What you describe looks like trouble with installation; missing dlls most likely.

I'd say more from the log, but I'm in mobile for a while, so could you please zip it for me to download?

No worries, as mentioned I'm sorry to be in a position where I need to ask again. Here's a zip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

No worries, as mentioned I'm sorry to be in a position where I need to ask again. Here's a zip.

You're running 1.7.1 with many mods that apparently are not compatible with it; to name a few: BDArmory, SSTU, KIS, Kopernucus, WBIRecycler -- all throw exceptions, some tones of them.

I don't see any particular trouble with GC itself aside from the fact that it can't save the game for to some discrepancies in contact system; but with so much other exceptions around anything could go wrong.

So I suggest to clean up your installation: search for all "Exception:" occurrences in the log (there's about 10k of them, but most are repetitions), see which mod causes then and either remove it, or upgrade or downgrade it to the version compatible with your KSP version. You can do it incrementally to save time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I will check again. Thanks again for checking it out.

As far as I know the only two throwing exceptions are Contract Configurator and Wild Blue Tools. I've never seen Contract Configurator NOT throw constant exceptions, it seems to be one of the core design principles. I'd love to have an option but there doesn't seem to be one.

The Wild Blue one is new and I need to talk to Angle-125. But the station wouldn't even load without Wild Blue, so I can try moving around versions but not removing.

All of the mods that aren't compatible are confirmed working for 1.71 by either the author or numerous people who are using them in 1.7 games. Then there are a few that have a more recent update that I haven't upgraded to because the changes are minor (like recompiling for 1.7.3) so I'll get to them at some point. I'm not aware of any mod that I'm using that is known to have significant problems with 1.71. Well Kopernicus maybe, it has a problem with excessive ROC spawning apparently, but I have not seen that so I've yet to grab the newest.

One question, I don't have BD_Armory and the only mention I see of it in the log is Filter Extensions trying to set up a category for it. Did you see something I am not?

Edited by vossiewulf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, allista said:

@vossiewulf just telling what I saw in the logs is all :rolleyes:

Oh I know. What it means is you see nothing immediately wrong with your stuff, and that immediately makes it 10x more difficult to figure out. Cleaning up anything you can with errors is a good idea. I just don't think it's those errors, they don't seem related, not Contract Configurator at least. Are you sure in the surgery MKS is doing to your parts they aren't doing something they shouldn't? We've already seen that they're shipping a version of GC with missing DLLs, and I saw configs where MKS is deleting nodes left and right with your parts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vossiewulf said:

What it means is you see nothing immediately wrong with your stuff, and that immediately makes it 10x more difficult to figure out.

True every time :confused:

1 minute ago, vossiewulf said:

Are you sure in the surgery MKS is doing to your parts they aren't doing something they shouldn't? We've already seen that they're shipping a version of GC with missing DLLs, and I saw configs where MKS is deleting nodes left and right with your parts. 

No, not sure; the bundling is poorly maintained. When I have time I make a PR so that their distro included the latest stuff, but more often than not g they're lagging behind. I know nothing about their patches to GC staff. It was supposed to be the "exclude redundant stuff, add your own stuff", not the "modify stuff" relationship :D Still, I didn't look at their patches directly yet, so can't state anything.

BTW, you are using GC 2.4.1 from spacedock, not the beta from Mega, rough? The later is not compatible with KSP<1.7.2 because of the autostrut framework changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, allista said:

BTW, you are using GC 2.4.1 from spacedock, not the beta from Mega, rough? The later is not compatible with KSP<1.7.2 because of the autostrut framework changes.

I don't know what Mega is, so I don't think so.

This is what I noticed:

[LOG 2019-08-18 00:37:59.705] Deleting node in file GroundConstruction/Parts/Workshops/GroundAssemblyLine subnode: PART/MODULE:NEEDS[!KolonyTools] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS
[LOG 2019-08-18 00:37:59.705] Deleting node in file GroundConstruction/Parts/Workshops/GroundAssemblyLine subnode: PART/MODULE:NEEDS[!KolonyTools] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS
[LOG 2019-08-18 00:37:59.705] Deleting node in file GroundConstruction/Parts/Workshops/OrbitalAssemblyLine subnode: PART/MODULE:NEEDS[!KolonyTools] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS
[LOG 2019-08-18 00:37:59.705] Deleting node in file GroundConstruction/Parts/Workshops/OrbitalAssemblyLine subnode: PART/MODULE:NEEDS[!KolonyTools] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS
[LOG 2019-08-18 00:37:59.705] Deleting root node in file GroundConstruction/Patches/ISRU_Patch node: @PART[ISRU]:NEEDS[!KolonyTools] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

This is what I noticed:

That's ok, these are my own directives for MM to disable resource converters when MKS is installed, because the mess up MKS resource pathways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.